• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ejection issues ar 15

Ryan797

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
northwestern indiana
after buying a new "flattop" upper for my AR i have found that it refuses to eject. i walked up to my back stop and safely fired a round while looking to see if the bolt would go back and it did not, so i had went on to empty the clip pulling the charging handle back each time. any ideas on what my problem could be?

Re: Ejection issues ar 15

Sure sounds like it's not getting any gas. Pull the carrier and blow through the
gas tube making sure it is open. Look into the gas key and make sure there are
no obstructions. I have read two different accounts of primers being blown in and
blocking them so it's possible the factory left something in there.

it looks fine to me although i'll admit i'm kinda new to ar's so i think i'm gonna have to take it back to the shop and have the "more knowledgable" people take a look. thanks for the idea though!

wow now i feel like a dumbass. just realized screws were loose on gas key and i can see dirt and shit where all the gas was escaping. Thanks for helping me figure out the obvious guys.

Thats the reason that staking the screws on the key is an sign of a quality build.
You should look into doing such, it's not hard.

I had the same thing happen to barrel I bought two months ago. After checking everything I finaly pulled the front sight pins and moved the front sight. I found that the gas hole was not drilled all the way through to the bore. It needed about 1/32 of being drilled in depth so that it went into the bore of the barrel and allow gas to bleed off and function as it should.

Took a number drill that fit the hole and used a hand chuck completing the job. AR functions as it should now and shoots fine.

Really staked and dimpled so they look staked are two different things, obviously you had the latter.....
Might as well pull it off, clean it up where it mates to the bolt carrier, tighten her up and restake it.
Hopefully you'll be good to go then!

I got a BC from Sabre Defence. They stake the gas key at three separate spots and it still came loose after about 1000 rounds on full auto. They are now really staked. It's teh first thing I check when I have ejection issues now.

Ryan, stake the yourself. Just torque them down tight (you can google or call the manufacture to get the exact torque) then use a auto punch or even a flat tip screwdriver to stake them. Two points is good but three is better. No nead to pay anyone and no need to take it anywhere. Should be a 5 min fix.
Now once you get the key straight shoot it, if you still have an ejection issue then you have a few more things to check. Like several people have suggested, check the gas block/ front sight post. If you have a torque screwed gas block rather than a pinned one, this is also a common culprit. Also you have 3 gas rings on the bolt. I recommend the one piece gas ring from wolf (I think) but Brownells has them for about 5 bucks, never will be an issue again. Also check the gas tube, depending on the manufacturer a hole can be worn on the opposite side of the gas hole that flows into the gas block. If all this is good to go and you still have issues, email or im me. Good luck, and keep in mind that Ars are simple and easy to work on.

http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=pmoacks

keyhdr.jpg

Proper carrier key staking.