• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Elcan scope

supernt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
VA & SoCal
Has anyone here ever used the elcan 1X/4X optic? It is a very interesting scope and am curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Re: Elcan scope

I've talked to these guys at the local range testing their scopes out. They let me shoot a few rounds behind a 7 mag. It was pretty neat. It's all digital, and can feeze the image (take a picture) at the moment you take the shot or video it for you. It's a little too high tech for me, but seemed to be a great concept.

Elcan makes awsome stuff. That is one of the best "AR" type scope going. The Specter "OS" is a great scope as well, fixed 3x with a very nice lit reticle. They also make the same one in a red dot scope called the Specter "RD", one version of it has a BDC elev. knob. It's one of the best red dot scopes on the market. Not to confuse you, but IOR makes a very nice 3x scope. It's a 3x25 Tactical with a built in QC mount & a great lit retical, and it's only about $700! One of the thing's I really like about it is it's always in focus, from about 10 yards on out.

- to the Elcan 1/4x is the ARMS mounts. They wear out. When they do they lose zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- to the Elcan 1/4x is the ARMS mounts. They wear out. When they do they lose zero.

</div></div>
I've read about the possibility of non-adjustable ARMS lever mounts wearing out from a number of people, but recently ordered a SOCOM model SpecterDR anyway.

I just found a good image of the underside of the SpecterDR showing the mount details. Like my ARMS #5 and #19 dual-lever mounts, each of the ELCAN levers has a metal pad that is positioned between the cam (rotated by the lever) and the beveled edge of the Picatinny rail. When you rotate the levers, the steel cams rub against the pads (that are probably made of steel also) and not the softer aluminum receiver rail. These pads can be replaced, but they should last a very long time.

At the bottom of the image you can see the squarish, flat bottom of the cam toward the right of the picture and, above the cam, is the thin edge of the pad. ARMS advertises this design as a "no mar" lever mount. Any wear will occur at the interface between the pad and lever-operated cam. <span style="font-weight: bold">I always apply a small drop of lubricant to the cam face before mounting to reduce any wear.</span> This seems like a very simple way to extend the life of the pad and cam, if they do wear out eventually.

Elcan_Specter_DR_E1.jpg