• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x scope variations

One-Eyed Jack

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Minden, NV
The ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x combat optic is available in a few different variants, not just the Gen I and Gen II versions. I collected some pix of the ones I know about and thought I would post them as there might be some interest. The major change was the addition of the 1x/4x lever detent/lock, repositioning of the ARMS mount levers to the righthand side, and flattening of the battery cover that obscured the sight picture - generally referred to together as "Gen II". However, when viewed with perspective over time, there have been a number of other, more incremental changes and it's very likely there are even more than are pictured and described here. The SpecterDR has been around since about 2003, but the earliest model pictured here is from circa 2006-07. Seems like a textbook example of spiral development.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gen I scope, ELCAN SpecterDR model DFOV14 (circa 2006)</span> Note the rectangular blister shapes on the sides near the front of the body in the area of the internal rotating lens, the protruding conical-shaped battery cover/knob, the sturdy rear BUIS at the very end of the body, the ARMS mount levers on the lefthand side, and no 1x/4x lever detent/lock (sorry, it's not shown in the photo). This scope is owned by a SH member.

2009_0222Image0016.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Early Gen II, SOCOM SU-238A/PVS (circa 2007) </span>The body still has rectangular shaped blisters on the sides near the front, but the front and rear BUIS have been redesigned and moved. The ARMS mount has had the clamping levers moved to the righthand side, and there is a detent/lock added for the 1x/4x lever, which is now more accessible with the ARMS levers on the right. The battery cover/knob has been flattened so the open-eyed sight picture is less obscured for righthanded shooters. This scope was offered for sale on ARFCOM and has "7.62" written on the side. The owner claims that it has the 5.56mm M4/M249 reticle.

ElcanA-1.jpg

ElcanB.jpg

ElcanC.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gen II, later SOCOM variant (circa 2008). </span>The body blisters are more rounded and shaped more like the interior component contours, and they are in different places. Otherwise, the rest appears like the early Gen II variant. A few of these were recently sold on GunBroker.com.

ElcanGenII.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">3-6-2009 </span>I just received one of these scopes about an hour ago, my first SpecterDR. The serial number is #10-025XX, so the first two digits are NOT the year of manufacture, as I once presumed. Instead, they may indicate a particular production run. Also, I am surprised at the quality of the construction and finish of the scope I received, which came boxed and shrink wrapped with the accessories.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gen II, civilian model DFOV14 (circa 2008-09). </span>This appears to be nearly identical to the Gen II SOCOM variant except for the color, black instead of FDE, and some changes in the blister shapes. This is the latest civilian version and is available through Mike at CSGunWorks. There are some differences with the SOCOM reticle, including the addition of range-finding brackets and the elimination of the 200m tic mark on the elevation axis.

ElcanSpecterDR.jpg

Elcan_Specter_DR_E1.jpg

Finally, here's a black Gen II SpecterDR DFOV14-C1 that is coming back from Iraq soon. The model number has "C1" at the end that designates the M4 carbine BDC reticle. I believe that "C2" would designate the 7.62NATO round BDC reticle. The serial number (ATI-07-...) suggests a 2007 production date, but I can't say for certain. It seems there were a few different body variations around this time (2007-2008). This scope looks very much like the current Gen II "civilian" model, except for the wear and tear. This scope is currently on GunBroker.com and is being sold by the owner who should be back in the US in the next few days. I'd love to own a former combat optic, but I can't justify it.

ElcancombatopticfromIraqA.jpg

ElcancombatopticfromIraq.jpg

ElcancombatopticfromIraqC.jpg

Here is how the owner described it on GunBroker, he addresses some known issues with the Gen I SpecterDRs: <span style="font-style: italic">"I have used this item the past 12 months in combat in Iraq. The Elcan SpecterDR (http://specterdr.elcan.com/) is built like a tank. I zeroed this site in March of 2008 and again in January of 2009, and the zero was still perfect and needed no adjusting. And this is after 11 months of abuse of combat and about 1200 rounds fired. As you can see the scope has all the wear of combat as well. The exterior is fairly scratched up, but the lenses are still crystal clear and all components still work flawlessly. The rear inclimate weather site also broke off (almost immediately), but can be replaced for a couple dollars."</span>

My thanks to crossgun for the nice images of his SpecterDR. The remaining images were borrowed from GunBroker.com and from AR15.com.

Re: ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x scope variations

Thanks Jack. I have one and had no idea when it was made or what generation. Your post help a lot. I have read that some say they will not hold zero. So far this has not been the case for me and I do think it's the cats meow for AR type rifles. I figure if I don't remove it from the base it won't come lose and change point of impact. Any other info would be great. Thanks again

PS Somethings I don't have are the owners Manual, and those spiff lens covers. Should I try Elcan? I looked on there site and don't see and place to get accessories.

Great info, Jack!

Ya know, I've heard lots of issues about the Spectre, the detent on the 1x-4x lever fixed one, but the other issue revolves around the ARMS mounts. don't know if the problem is real or percieved, but I do know ELcan was looking at other options at one time.

Valken, go to the ELCAN website and look up the US distributor. Then contact them for a manual and a bikini top lens cover.

To reduce any wear to a minimum, lubricate the faces of the cams that are operated by the mounting levers, and lubricate the faces of the pads that the cams push against. The pads are replaceable, so don't worry about the wear.

I think the wear issue is more perceived than real, Scott, and it can be addressed with simple lubrication, as I mentioned. A more diffucult problem occurs when the mount won't fit your AR Picatinny rail.

One-Eye, you <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> see the lever on the Gen 1 in your picture, it is fully forward -- the tip is next to the L/R mount adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS Somethings I don't have are the owners Manual, and those spiff lens covers. Should I try Elcan? I looked on there site and don't see and place to get accessories. </div></div>

I have never had any luck dealing with Elcan directly for anything, or their North American distributor (Armament). For scope covers, Scopecoat sells one that fits the Specter DR -- it's a special item you can order directly from them.

I have a Gen 1 and a Civilian Gen 2. PM me if there's something specific you need to know how to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One-Eye, you <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> see the lever on the Gen 1 in your picture, it is fully forward -- the tip is next to the L/R mount adjustment.

</div></div>
Yes, you can see the lever tip, but I meant you can't see where the 1x/4x lever detect/lock would later be located in the Gen II version. The second image of the newest civilian model shows it very clearly underneath the body.

These are really great optics. I now have three of the SOCOM versions (like the current civilian model, except for color and some reticle differences) and they fit the Picatinny rails on my Colt, DPMS, and JP CTR perfectly. I like the SpecterDR reticle and sight picture much better than my 4x ACOGs, and the 1x/4x lever works great.

133.jpg

Re: ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x

Felt the need to add some more content to this thread after talking to several people recently who've never heard of Elcan or the SpecterDR. We are passionate about this item and consider it a world class CQB optical sight.

Here are some pics that I've taken with the Specter DR 1-4x:

Close-up of the reticle:
4563825983_b91fcaaed6.jpg

At 1x outside with illumination at its lowest daytime setting:
4564456296_cf8fba9764.jpg

At 1x illumination at its highest daytime setting.
4563826139_1a6a94b7aa.jpg

At 4x with Illumination at its highest daytime setting.
4563826173_cc7fa51fa9.jpg

At 1x in side the shop with the reticle fully illuminated.
4564456484_8049d93242.jpg

At 1x illumination at lowest daytime setting.
4564456520_31ea45a958.jpg

At 1x illumination at 2 daytime setting.
4564456566_97e687443d.jpg

At 1x illumination at Highest daytime setting.
4563826351_50c600b625.jpg

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Re: ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x

Elcan 1-4x SpecterDR:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dUzhyJlBl44"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dUzhyJlBl44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Elcan 1.5-6x SpecterDR:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgeIQTUZ55I&feature=channel"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgeIQTUZ55I&feature=channel" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

Does anyone have a pic of the Gen 3 reticles to compare to the Gen 2?

It seems most are using this on 5.56mm rifles. any thoughts on using the 1.5-6x on a kel tec RFB ?? I am concerned with the zero shift at ranges greater than 100 yards. granted you wouldnt use the low setting at longer range but theoretically 3" at 100 is 6" at 200 and so on. a miss is likely at intermediate range, i would think.

The SpecterDR is zeroed at 4X, so there is no zero shift at any range on high power. The small zero shift can occur at 1X, and you can compensate for it once you determine the shift for your scope. Do you really want to use 1x at 200+ yards when you can flip to 4X so easily?

(More comments on this video here: http://www.cstactical.com/Magazine/Video...-Zero-Test.html )

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-xZQ6PyB2zg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-xZQ6PyB2zg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

We have heard people claim that the ARMS mounts on the SpecterDR are inconsistent at returning to zero when removing and re-mounting the scope. We decided to take it out to the range to test this theory.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

We have the Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x 5.56, the Elcan SpecterDR 1.5-6x 5.56 and the new Elcan SpecterOS4X 5.56 in-stock. Here's the video for the Elcan SpecterOS4x:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tySim-Vvt9E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tySim-Vvt9E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Believe it or not, we are actually an authorized ELCAN distributor and while this is not a big seller for us we can take care of you as well as anyone.

I think I prefer 1.5-6x.....me not like 1-4x zero shift no matter who says "it doesn't matter"....

Scott

Good test thanks for sharing. Gotta love California patron State of lil mags
wink.gif

Here is another variation not listed in the OP, posted over on fnforum. Generation 1.5?

elcandr4.jpg

There are so many so called "military contract overrun" BLACK SpecterDR floating at market boards these days.

So what are they? Are they identical to SOCOM TAN except BLACK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jojunior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are so many so called "military contract overrun" BLACK SpecterDR floating at market boards these days.

So what are they? Are they identical to SOCOM TAN except BLACK? </div></div>

If they are using the words overrun then they are using a marking ploy.

SOCOM is running more of the FDE unit we have sold a good amount of the black units to other SF Groups.

Mike @ CST

The current generation of ELCAN SOCOM SpecterDR optics differs internally from the current civilian version. I recently sent a 10-series SOCOM SpecterDr to ELCAN for the "O-ring mod" (to make the illumination control knob turn more easily, the original O-ring had too much friction). A tool they had on hand for the civilian model didn't work for the SOCOM version and it took a couple extra weeks to complete the mod since they had to obtain the right tool for the SOCOM switch assembly.

So, the black civilian version and the FDE SOCOM version differ by more than just their colors.

That's the first one that I've seen with the adjustable ARMS levers, and a good improvement. Luckily, most of my rails are spec and work with the original levers. I wonder if the mount in the image has been modified for the adjustable levers as part is FDE and part is black.

I think this is all stock. The most current production.

I have yet seen a new style ARMS mount anywhere except from the SHOT SHOW pics two years ago and ..... on this
Elcan!

I guess .mil has all the good stuff first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jojunior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is all stock. The most current production.

I have yet seen a new style ARMS mount anywhere except from the SHOT SHOW pics two years ago and ..... on this
Elcan!

I guess .mil has all the good stuff first. </div></div>

ARMS is selling a couple of mounts with the new adjustable throw lever.

I wonder if someone was able to retrofit the new levers onto the existing DR mount... That would be awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wonder if someone was able to retrofit the new levers onto the existing DR mount... That would be awesome. </div></div>

Can't say much, but hold that thought and there might be a better option than that in the near future.

i carry an gen II socom elcan 1-4x with 5.56 BDC on my MK46 machine gun and my m4 in Afghanistan and i love it. i know we usually talk precision shooting on here but its a hell of a scope for a light machine and has served me well in combat many times.

Jack, could you email me how you contacted Elcan to get the O-ring mod? I've recently got two SU230s with very stiff adjustment knobs, one I can't get to budge at all. Looked through the booklet that came with it and could find no points of contacts for Elcan's CS.

[email protected]

I know this is almost a dead thread but may I introduce to you the next version of the ELCAN, found this picture on an airsoft sight. This is a 1X-6X model FDE military. Very few running around from production. Don't know if it would qualify as a GEN3 or GEN4. Anybody with more information about this please chime in. Then again it could be just airsoft. What do you experts think.

DSC04161_zps687cf646-1_zps603f9de6.jpg

That's not a knock off right? I'd love one of these in true 1x-6x

The DR 1-4x I had was absolutely awesome even though I thought it was flawed. Reason centered on the ARMS lever mounts and the particular AR I had at the time. The ARMS levers offer no adjustability, if your rail is what they were designed for, great. IF not, it was loose...or I guess it could possibly be too tight. I ended up putting a shim underneath but ended up getting rid of it because I didn't like the idea of a piece of metal sandwiched between the optic and my rifle. When I bought another AR and transitioned my Eotech EXPS3-0 from the old rifle, I noticed how much I had to adjust the lever mount on the Eotech to fit the new AR. Then I got out the calipers and started measuring to see just how much smaller the other rifle was in certain aspects of the picatinny rail. I had borrowed another rifle and found it to be the same as the new rifle and realized it was the original rifle with oddball specs? Have since sold that rifle but should've sold it first and kept the DR....darn it!

The MKII ARMS levers upgrade are a must for a SpecterDR owner unless he/she was real lucky with a perfectly-fitting receiver. The new Elcans like the one pictured above have the lense assembly rotating vertically instead of horizontally. This is said to fix the potential zero-shift from 1x to 4x.

Just got my SpectreDR 1x/4x in the other day. These things are built like a tank. A little on the heavy side but seems to be solid construction. Does anyone have pictures of a Trijicon RMR mounted on top instead of the Docter sight?