• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eld-x bullets as good as others?

Kms33kms

P=
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
Fixing to enter the handloading world once I get all my equipment in. I always seem to come across the hornady ELD-x bullets and always at a lower cost than others. Is the hornady eld-x bullets any comparison to like the partition or TTS bullets? Right now I have a few boxes of factory hornady 143 gr eld-x rounds for my 6.5 prc right now actually , not many other choices in factory ammo for that though.

They are fine. I've killed whitetail with then. I prefer Barnes but to each his own. What are you planning to shoot with them?

We shoot a lot of whitetail deer with 143 ELDX in 6.5 and 260 and 178/200 ELDX in 308 and 300. I find the ELDX to be an excellent bullet. But they will cause some damage vs a partition or other bonded bullet. Very accurate and great for distance. The 30 cal does better than the 6.5 for blood trail and consistency. 6.5 leaves some to be desired as it tends to pin hole in and out or pin hole in and explode without exit. Which leads to no blood trail

What is the differences in the eldX and a partition or other bonded bullets? What do they do differently ?

They are fine. I've killed whitetail with then. I prefer Barnes but to each his own. What are you planning to shoot with them?
95% whitetail , maybe the occasional coyote , and it’d be cool to use if I ever got picked for an elk draw but I think I’m my state we are not allowed to use anything smaller than .30 cal on elk.

If you hit that 1/3rd of the chest cavity containing lungs, your deer will be dead within a rock throw of where you hit it. They kill just fine. If you can shoot minute of pie plate, they will do their job.

They are great for whitetail and coyotes. We don't have elk here in NW Georgia so I've never shot one, but if ever had a chance I would want a bonded bullet. Maybe someone else here can speak with more experience.

They have been very accurate in my guns. Between my kid and I we have plenty of deer with them, a few coyote and he got a elk with his this year. They are not bonded and do not perform like one. The have killed everything we've shot at. If anything I wish they would hold together better, but again they've killed everything we've shot at. So take it for what it's worth.

I too have been using 178 gr ELD-X in .308 on GA white tail for the last 3-4 years and as said, they do indeed expand and do indeed kill deer quite well, IME.

I'm no expert on hunting bullets, but I do find the ELD-X to shoot well out of my 20" Rem 5R. They are precise shooters.

I have had large exit wounds, small exit wounds, and no exit...blew up inside the deer and dropped it.

All I have to offer...hope this is at least minimally helpful.

Haven't shot an animal with any, but the ones I shot were extremely accurate. Like, as good as ELD-m's for accuracy.

I'd prefer a bonded or copper bullet for hunting though, just because of the variation in terminal performance that I've heard about from people I know and on the internet.

Deer, elk, and antelope. It’s our primary hunting bullet. Very pleased with performance, bloodshot is about average compared to Accubonds or Partitions.

7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag. Lots of dead critters.