• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electric smokers?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey guys,

I've been wanting a smoker for quite some time, unfortunately I live in a populated development so I can't really fire up a smoker without pissing off the neighbors.

I've been looking at possibly an electric smoker, but can these be run indoors or would it be just like any other smoker and smoke out the neighborhood?

Bradley smoker at Cabelas

Re: Electric smokers?

Outside. The smoke has to go some place.

You might as well get a regular smoker. It does not have to be huge. And the neighors will probably be coming over for dinnner
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All smoker are outside only!
Spend the money and get a nice gas setup.

5zfjlt.jpg
</div></div>
How much is that one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">e]
How much is that one? </div></div>

Somewhere around $200. They're all pretty cheap but you can regulate the temp better with a gas model and during a 14 hour smoke session (brisket/pork butt/etc.) that's incredibly important.

I have used a Bradley a few times. They are decent smokers, convenient. Actually, they don't vent off a big cloud of smoke like you're thinking, so I just can't imagine anybody would ever bitch about it being used in your driveway or backyard.

At times, my gas grill can throw off way more smoke than the Bradley...You'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used a Bradley a few times. They are decent smokers, convenient. Actually, they don't vent off a big cloud of smoke like you're thinking, so I just can't imagine anybody would ever bitch about it being used in your driveway or backyard.

At times, my gas grill can throw off way more smoke than the Bradley...You'll be fine.

</div></div>

Yeah that's precisely it, I can't have a raging forest fire in my grill.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos on the Bradleys and a lot of people say good things about them and they look rather simple.

I'd like to do some pulled pork when I get it. What kinda rubs do you guys use?

Dillo Dust? LOL

Jello, my smoker never throws off a ton of smoke. You can see it out the chimney but it dissipates quickly and most of the "smoke" you do see is actually steam so it's gone before you know it. So you never really see much smoke but man can you smell it all over the neighborhood. I get a lot of people trying to invite themselves over during a smoking session.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electric...choke yourselves for thinging such sacrilege...no, not with your hand!

the very idea, pellets come out deer and rabbits, real smokers use cuts of oak, apple, maple wood, natural char chunks..

electric...really??? ROFLMMFAO! </div></div>

Don't forget the mesquite!!!!

An electric smoker will work very well, I own one and have used it many many times to cook Beef, chicken, and pork.
Plus the great thing about an electric smoker is it's cheaper to use and cleaning it you just turn it on full and leave it for an hour or two thus doing the same thing clean mode for your oven does. Plus temperature control is nice and easy, with is always a nice thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electric...choke yourselves for thinging such sacrilege...no, not with your hand!

the very idea, pellets come out deer and rabbits, real smokers use cuts of oak, apple, maple wood, natural char chunks..

epic_haters_gonna_hate_memes_640_14.jpg

If temperature control is why you are going electric you can control a real smoker just as easy. There are a couple companies that make temperature controllers for a real smoker. BBQ Guru and there is another that I can't think of right now. They have models that hook up to your wifi network and you can control it from anywhere you have internet access. Electric smokers(easy bake ovens) can produce good bbq, but will never be as good as the real deal. I don't buy the easier to clean argument either. All I do is get rid of the ashes every once in a while.

I have a xl big green egg with a BBQ guru. My brother has a easy bake oven and you can tell the difference in taste.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNewRoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and cleaning it you just turn it on full and leave it for an hour or two thus doing the same thing clean mode for your oven does.
</div></div>

You <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NEVER</span></span></span> clean a smoker! That's BBQ 101. Smokers are like cast iron pans, in that you season them and then leave them alone and they just get better and better over time.

Ahh, can't tell these guys HB, they probably use electric razors too!
wink.gif

It's not that I hate electric smoker's, it's that they just do not offer the same flavors as a basic wood/charcoal smoker. I have eaten at a few local joints around town with my boys, and the one's with the wood smokers are better(but nowhere near my Barbeque smoked meats). The one's that use the electric smokers just don't have the bolder tastes that real bulk wood gives good barbeque

About 7 years ago I too was looking at getting a smoker. I looked at reviews of most of the major types and brands. I was leaning towards the Bradley but then realized it uses the pucks. I would like a bit of versatility in what fuel I want to create the smoke. Also what is the binding material that holds the puck together? Will it influence the taste of the end product? I don't know but if it aint there it can't influence the taste. I went with the SmokinTex electric smoker. It is super simple to use and can use sawdust, wood chips or chunks, or even charcoal, for smoke generation. The electric element holds the temps very stable and it works very well. The smoke output is very little but I would not use it indoors. It will not belch smoke like some of the old fashioned smokers. In fact, it is very efficient in that it only takes about 2 ounces of wood chunks to smoke a Boston butt or picnic shoulder. I add one more ounce for a whole brisket.

I added a fan to use it for jerky but have not used it. I also have a cold smoke plate for smoking cheeses but also have not used it.

electric...really??? ROFLMMFAO!</div></div>

What he said

Wood fired cookers are the traditional way to BBQ.
Bad wood BBQ is about as good as bad gas or bad electric BBQ.
Wood is always a lot of work; for the people who do it, it is a labor of love.

I use a Cookshack electric smoker that takes 5-6 Oz. of wood to get a smoke ring and a good smoked taste.
It is easy to use and can be used inside under a vent hood like you have over your stove.
In a blind taste test I sincerely do not believe anyone can tell it is not wood.

Gas Fired cookers I believe leave a taste and texture difference in the food. Very few people will notice it in good gas BBQ.

Where electric cookers can fall down is not having enough heat to get the food through the dangerous temperature range (40-140 F.) quickly. This is not generally a problem, but does require attention.

If you got it, smoke it!
Ron

+1

A smoke ring is only the first part of good barbeque. The wood burned flavor when donje right goes deeper than that as it gets into the fat as it drips through teh meat and bastes in all that good balanced flavor of applewood, oak, and a small amount of hickory or mesquite or maple. 2 hours and a small puck or glued piece of wood just is not the same. Of course if you want speed, ease, and no muss no fuss, or reason to hang about drinking a Walkaround and smoking good cigars, go electric