• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electricity is cool.

Oh damn. Yep, the angry pixies will mess living tissue up - doesn't matter if they are DC or AC! I've been within 15 feet of a ground strike and I swear if I didn't have a heart attack then I am probably doing ok in the cardiac department.

Reactions: QuickNDirty
This is my go to channel for fun electrical stuff!

QnD, was that guy trying to steal copper? No real reasons for anyone to be getting into those transformer enclosures, is there?

Indeed it is... until it's hot hot hot!

That is one of the most brutal vids floating around out there. I think I first seen it on Ogrish before it became LiveLeak. Backstory was mentally ill guy was having a panic attack, climbed onto roof of train car because he thought people were after him. 20,000 volts turned him into a human flash bulb for a second. I don't think he even felt anything.

Reactions: clcustom1911
That is one of the most brutal vids floating around out there. I think I first seen it on Ogrish before it became LiveLeak. Backstory was mentally ill guy was having a panic attack, climbed onto roof of train car because he thought people were after him. 20,000 volts turned him into a human flash bulb for a second. I don't think he even felt anything.

This one is worse IMO.... Total accident.

• Wow
Reactions: Blue Sky Country

Nothing beats the dumbfuck jihadi electricians, though... One dude hangs a ladder off the HV line and gets baked, then another runs in to get him off of there and joins the party. By the time it's over, they're one molten piece of shit.

This one is worse IMO.... Total accident.

There are some things in this world that you just cannot trifle about with. I come from an industrial, manual labor and machinery background and have worked with things like high voltage naked wires, lathes, pressers and industrial cutting apparatus throughout my life. The ability of these things to fuck someone up is beyond terrifying. I have been called a "granny" at some of my jobs before because I would incessantly drill people about the importance of safety and give lectures on the floor about shit that you are not supposed to do. You think you might be saving time taking a shortcut. And you may very well be furnishing the nails for your own coffin.

There are some things in this world that you just cannot trifle about with. I come from an industrial, manual labor and machinery background and have worked with things like high voltage naked wires, lathes, pressers and industrial cutting apparatus throughout my life. The ability of these things to fuck someone up is beyond terrifying. I have been called a "granny" at some of my jobs before because I would incessantly drill people about the importance of safety and give lectures on the floor about shit that you are not supposed to do. You think you might be saving time taking a shortcut. And you may very well be furnishing the nails for your own coffin.

Yep. Some stuff you just shouldn't fuck around with. I'm thankful I've still got eyes, ears, fingers, and toes. Lord knows I've crossed lines that could have cost me some of those.

I've seen the aftermath of someone getting zapped like this. I'll never forget it. Tree trimmer got zapped and as I was keeping some people back, his support line snapped and his body fell 25' to the ground. His flesh was literally cooked so well done he came apart like boiled chicken once he hit the ground. Sounded like a sack of large watermelons hitting the ground.

It was quite impressive and I hope I never see anything like that again.

A guy on my hunting club lost his life two years ago he and his father in law were trimming some limbs around a tower stand and there were these low hanging power lines going to an old abandoned farm house above the stand he hit the line with a pole saw and he became a grounding rod.

First, or second, closest moment I came to losing my life, thinking of it still gives me chills and makes me wonder how I lucked my way through it.

After EAS started school, got called up for Desert Storm, never left CONUS, and found my self discharged mid semester needing to do something so I went back to my pre service electrical contractor job and did some good honest work.

One job we had was changing a service at a CVS and I was told it was scheduled for night so the power would be shut down.

By flashlight, no power in building, my Boss has me pulling breakers from current service to put in a new panel. He tells me "the power is off" so I dive into it.

As we are about to remove the current panel I reach in to hold the panel and he says "Be careful the lines are hot".

Im like "WTF?" I thought it was all cold.

Apparently the lines in were hot and all he did was kill the main so everything south of it was cold.

When I looked on top of the main I saw where my fingers had brushed away the years of dust, just missing one of the legs in from the street. Looked like my finger actually passed over the lug but the arc of my finger shape kept it from making contact. If I had squared fingers it would have hit a lug.

Im guessing it was a commercial 480/277 service and that sure would have lit me up, if not killing me at least ensuring I would not need to buy gloves in pairs.

Crazy stuff. Glad none of you "rode the lightning" on the job or otherwise. Basically the most accurate placard ever designed:

That's if you even feel anything at all.

I worked on high power microwave transmitters for a good portion of my life. As such I have been been zapped by a variety of line voltages. The worst was an accident with 220VAC 3 phase. Fucking old power supply modulator wasn't working and although we had people to repair these things, I decided I couldn't wait. That incident ruined a couple of days of my life. Never thought I would be right again...If my partner weren't there to throw the kill switch I may have not made it.

We were always super careful when playing with the klystrons or CFAs as they ran at voltages between 50,000-100,000 volts but we were always pretty cavalier with the AC line even when working with 480 VAC substations.

Never forgot that lesson. One hand rule always applied from that point forward.

I leave electricity alone because I am accident prone and there are some mistakes you only make once.

Reactions: Barneybdb
An elevator mechanic for thyssen in North Dakota just died this week from touching 3 phase 480 in an escalator. Co worker said it smelled like a cook out in the whole building. A recently licensed mechanic, left behind a wife and 2 kids. Very sad situation.

I'm a retired electrical Lineman and also a Master electrician. I worked high voltage ( 8KV ) almost daily. You need to keep your mind on the job. Forget about your plans after work, ignore the hotties walking by, forget about your personal troubles until you get off work. I've lost at least 4 friends who were killed on the job.

Some things I have learned about electricity the hard way.

Lightning will pass through an aluminum window frame, at a minimum burnt hair and knocked to floor.

Lightning will pass through water and your boat trailer, knocked out.

Wet test leads will get you hurt, smacked head in attempts to get loose.

Make sure the EE your working with has his damn reading glasses on,
Body convulsions.

Shit happens.

Shit happens. It did to me.

I was about 14 yrs old delivering newspapers. Didn't even know there was a storm coming when a bolt of lightning hit the tree i was near. Louder than I could ever imagine. In an instant, my body just let go of everything. Nasty, but felt lucky to be alive.

Some things I have learned about electricity the hard way.

Lightning will pass through an aluminum window frame, at a minimum burnt hair and knocked to floor.

Lightning will pass through water and your boat trailer, knocked out.

Wet test leads will get you hurt, smacked head in attempts to get loose.

Make sure the EE your working with has his damn reading glasses on,
Body convulsions.

Shit happens.

You need to play the lottery.

I get 10% of the winnings.

It’s not the electrons that will get you it’s the holes.

My funniest electrical story was dropping a bolt into the cam chain tunnel of my dirt bike at 3a abit intoxicated. My magnet on a stick was mia. The bike was in my apartment living room. I took my car battery out and decided to hook it into my make shift electro magnet circuit but the wires caught fire.

Reactions: QuickNDirty
It’s not the electrons that will get you it’s the holes.

My funniest electrical story was dropping a bolt into the cam chain tunnel of my dirt bike at 3a abit intoxicated. My magnet on a stick was mia. The bike was in my apartment living room. I took my car battery out and decided to hook it into my make shift electro magnet circuit but the wires caught fire.

Haha, that's awesome.

My brother used to have a habit of taking apart old stereos and fucking around with the transformers. I learned about electricity early on when he'd connect the transformers up to a 6v battery and pop shit. We eventually got to a point where we'd shock each other.

Looking back, I might be lucky that I didn't die from some of those one-hand-per-wire shocks that'd knock the wind out of you.

^I forget the exact number in the escalating voltage chain, but a buddy of mine had a nice 6.5kv arc flash working on a breaker. He said he “saw the light” in more ways than one.

^I forget the exact number in the escalating voltage chain, but a buddy of mine had a nice 6.5kv arc flash working on a breaker. He said he “saw the light” in more ways than one.

I don’t remember exactly either, but if the fault current in the switchgear is not sized properly, it seem like I remember the copper vaporizes at something like 67,000 to 1 instantaneously.

Nothing beats the dumbfuck jihadi electricians, though... One dude hangs a ladder off the HV line and gets baked, then another runs in to get him off of there and joins the party. By the time it's over, they're one molten piece of shit.
Wonder how the jihadist smelt when he met Mohamed?

I used to think that 12 volts DC did not hurt until I got zapped one day with 50 Watts of HF RF carrier sitting on the DC bus. Was working on an old Mk 60 commset.