• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Electronic bore cleaner???

Re: Electronic bore cleaner???

Wow, that's some serious sludge coming out of some of those!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that's some serious sludge coming out of some of those! </div></div>

I know!!! I have two rifles that would probably produce similiar results. The barrels are absolutely nasty!!! Whoever had them before me must have shot a ton of corrosive ammo through it and never bothered to clean them. The rifling still looks good, but the buildup in the barrel is beyond bad.

I have used it, it works very well. In a seriously crudded up barrel it makes life much easier. I would not hesitate to use it in CR weapons with 60 years of cosmoline and corrosive ammo through them.

I wouldn't put it through a match rifle for obvious reasons. The 1 time that I did use it on my custom 30-06 it did the job as expected but it was really overkill. The thing cleans up with a night of "wipeout" and a few patches after 500+ rounds, I'd see no reason that a match rifle would need the treatment.

That is good to know. How many cycles or what amount of time did it take before you got to a completion point? I will be using it on an extremely funked up CR rifle like you said. This wont be coming anywhere near my newer rifles!

With the 06 it was clean in about an hour and even that might have been longer than necessary. The k98's and single MN 91/30 I cleaned with it (about 6-7 rifles total) needed a single overnight session to get them pretty well done. I didn't go for broke on them, but it seemed around 8-10 hours was a good solid stint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the 06 it was clean in about an hour and even that might have been longer than necessary. The k98's and single MN 91/30 I cleaned with it (about 6-7 rifles total) needed a single overnight session to get them pretty well done. I didn't go for broke on them, but it seemed around 8-10 hours was a good solid stint. </div></div>

In one sitting??? From what I read most people exchanged the ammonia solution and cleaned the rod every 30 minutes. That would be awesome if you did not have to do that. I suppose as long as the junk on the rod did not come in contact with the barrel the process would still work. Thanks again for the help!

I used a Outers Foul-Out unit for years which is essentially a commercial version of what this is. I like it a lot but there are some things to be aware of. They made a solution for copper and a separate solution for lead. These things are very effective in getting the copper and lead out. I have used it on both modern and Curio and Relics (Kar 98, K31, Garands, etc).

Bernard Wolff is right, it is true that you have to clean out the rod every hour or so. They get covered with the sludge and the gunk collects on the bottom of the solution. A big pile of sludge sitting on the bottom of the barrel does nothing to help either the electrolysis, or the barrel. So I clean/wipe out the rod hourly and replace the solution every few hours.

I follow up with carbon solvent after the electrolysis, as the electrolysis removes copper, but not the carbon. The bubbling happens as part of the reverse electrolysis process. Careful of the solution, it does not agree with gun blueing!

Also, if left on for long, it will cause very bad bore pitting! Ask me how I know.

Noted. I hope this can make a dramatic improvement in my surplus rifles. I will give a full report when I attempt this this weekend.

Yes, mine was done in 1 stint. It's probably faster if you cleaned it and swapped the fluid, but I wanted to go to sleep and didn't care to mess with it.

Yes, pitting is a major concern if left too long, hence why I didn't care to use it again in my 30-06. For a couple of those CR rifles the bores were rather pitted to start so it was no loss if I screwed one up by leaving it overnight.

The way that I make sure the rod wouldn't ever touch the barrel was to place little rubber o-rings about every 3 inches along the length of the rod just before inserting it in the barrel. They measured about .285" OD after rolling them over the rod, it worked without a problem.