• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Electronic Ear Muffs or Plugs?

Rynham9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Enid, OK
Just taking a quick poll here to see who uses what. I am not a big fan of muffs while shooting but am a fan of hearing. I am almost deaf in my left ear from unprotected muzzel blast while hunting. It only took a few of shots through my .30-378 w/ Accubrake. My doc reommended muffs to help prevent trauma due to muzzel blast on the ear bones. Just seeing if any of you have heard the same thing or what you think?
I currently us Walkers Game Ear Muffs.
Thanks.

Re: Electronic Ear Muffs or Plugs?

I use electronic when running and gunning, ie; carbines, scatterguns,and sidearms.
I like to use plugs when in shooter in prone for strings over 5 shots.
Peltor works for me in the electronic area, and I use US army issued for plugs.
Electronic are a must imo when commands and communication are being used during training.
When I was active in military and pmc, I estimate I have thrown at least 1500 rounds at bad guys with no hearing protection whatsoever.
I can tell some hearing loss now at 47 yrs old.

Electronic earmuffs or foam plugs for 9mm pistol. Both muffs and plugs for 5.56/.308 with brake.

I like the peltor electronics, as above it's good to hear range master etc loud and clear!!!

Went to the electronic muffs year or so ago and they are ideal for long range steel when shooting an unmoderated rifle. You can hear hits a long way off.

I tend to take these with me all the time and only bother with plugs every now and again.

Sordins muffs are great

I like using plugs under my muffs. Just turn the volume up on the muffs to hear talking and hits on steel. It really deadens the sound and blast of the shot when using both.

I have high freq hearing loss in my left ear from shooting. Its not bad, but it's certainly a loss. A couple years ago I decided that I'd never fire another shot without hearing protection, and I haven't.

I picked up some of the Howard Leight Impact electronic muffs. They are not the best or most expensive, but I love them. They have held up very good considering that I use them all the time. Taking a vow to never fire a shot without hearing protection also includes hunting, which i do alot of. I wear the muffs hunting and I love them for that as well. The added amplified sound when in the woods lets you hear things so clearly.

I guess it's just like anything else, you just get used to it. Alot of guys on here say they wear protection at the range, but not hunting. That's fine, but a gunshot is a gunshot regardless of what situation it's fired under. To each their own. I personally won't leave the house without mine. I've forgot them a few times and had to turn around and go back home to get them. I got a hunting buddy of mine to try some out. He was dead set against using them.....until he actually used them. Now, he's just like me, he wouldn't think of leaving the house without them.

The Howard Leight Impact Sports are really nice. Also the Peltor Tac 6's are in the same price range, but the reviews are not as good for the Peltors (that I've read).

Suppressor! Lol. The impacts are a great product for the money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suppressor! Lol. The impacts are a great product for the money </div></div>

Hopefully my paperwork will be back by April.

I love the Peltors. Tactical 7 Classics, pretty pricey but good protection. I still have the ones I got in the army nearly ten years ago. With the volume turned up, you can actually hear BETTER with them, but they cut down the volume when a shot is fired. Pretty nice.

My wife has the Howard Leight Impact Sport. They work okay, not as good as mine though. I can plug in a military radio (useless to me now) and she can plug in her phone (useful to her). Hers cost less, but with very loud weapons she still thinks she needs plugs too. So that is basically the difference.

I have an old pair of Dillons. We used to issue those to shooters since we could talk to them and they were cheap. But they don't hold up well and they don't provide enough protection I think. I keep a pair in my shooting box along with an extra pair of glass in case we (or I, usually I) take someone else shooting.

You get what you pay for here. If you have to wear a helmet, look at the Peltor Tactial 6's. They are thinner, cost less than the 7's, but provide less protection. You can get 'em with no electronics for a lot less that provide a lot more protection, but in that case I suppose I'd use plugs. I have some I got nearly 25 years ago when I was young for $10 that provide great protection. They also held up to a lot of use and abuse.

I shot a lot without earpro in the military too, but I never shoot without ear and eye pro now. I get a check each month and about $110 of it is because I hear ringing all the time. No hearing loss, just ringing.

If you shoot a lot and haven't worn quality earpro, you are missing out. Those 7's really set me back way back then, but man were they worth it.

i have 2 pair of radians. they cost about 100 each. to be honest i wish i could have my 200 bucks back and i would buy somthing else. im defintally not impressed. i think between the 2 there have been 3 trips total back to get repaired.

imo the raidians just arn't what they should be for the price

I use Peltor electronics along with suppressors. Haven't worn plugs in years. They tend to get uncomfortable after about 30 minutes.

anyone use something like this Walkers Game Ear

Seems like this would give you benefits of the comfort of plugs but still allow you to hear when needed. I usually wear custom molded plugs which are excellent but was thinking of something like this to wear in my right ear (left handed) to be able to hear.

Any thoughts, reviews, opinions on this one or something similar?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sordins muffs are great </div></div>

I've heard this. Where is the best place to get them?

Get the sordins from Triad here on the hide. I have had the peltor 6s and the MSA Sordins are much better. Yes they are more expensive but it is your hearing we are talking about. We spend thousands on precision rifles so I think we can spring for the $250 on the Sordins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sordins muffs are great </div></div>

</div></div>

I'd also highly recommend the silicon seals for the Sordins...the fit is awesome and worth the $39.

The main problem I run into is my oakleys getting squeezed on my head and sometimes letting in some noise due to a bad seal over the glasses. Thats why I like plugs but when shooting bigger rifles I will double up.

I use the Howard Leights, when I'm at the range I'll double up with plugs.

I coyote hunt with these as well, been used a lot, still work great, very happy with them.

I use the Howard Leights, but they don't seem to do well with my glasses. I usually use SureFire Ear Pros when I'm behind a rifle, but the HLs do okay for pistol at an outdoor range.

My Peltors work well and I add plugs under them when shooting indoors.

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamhuntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like using plugs under my muffs. Just turn the volume up on the muffs to hear talking and hits on steel. It really deadens the sound and blast of the shot when using both. </div></div>

Both plugs AND muffs. I only wished I would have done this years ago

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sordins muffs are great </div></div>

</div></div>

I'd also highly recommend the silicon seals for the Sordins...the fit is awesome and worth the $39. </div></div>

The Sordin Pro's with the gel packs are great prone or gunning on the run, I use the back strap models thin, for a good cheek weld while in the prone, and like about stated get them from Steve at Triad!
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Howard Leight Impact Sports are really nice. Also the Peltor Tac 6's are in the same price range, but the reviews are not as good for the Peltors (that I've read). </div></div>

Between the low-end Peltor Tactical 6S and the Howard Leight Impact Sport; the win easily goes to the Howard Leight. I think they were way cheaper too.

The 6S has independant controls and batteries for each side, the controls are not as easy to use in position/orientation AND they are less comfortable and the HL's seal better.

-1 on Peltor: I got a pair of the Tactical, behind the neck type. I left them in the car on a hot day, not in the sun mind you, and the detachable ear pads will not pop into their track anymore. No visible signs of deformation; the plastic relaxed a little bit and now NG. Either the shell or the pad deformed enough to not stay in place. Also after reading their warranty page, the tactical series, specifically, is not warranted.

I use electronic plugs for hunting, clays and any shooting where I am moving a lot. I use plugs under Howard Leights for any range or extended shooting.

Disposable plugs provide the best protection. I use them with Peltor shotgunner low-profile muffs which don't interfere with your cheekweld. Most competitive highpower shooters "double-up" with both plugs and muffs. For hunting, I'm thinking of breaking down and buying electronic plugs...expensive....ugh.

I use the silicon ear plugs (non-electronic) when I'm actually shooting and over-the-ear electronic muffs when I'm waiting to shoot....talking to buddies, etc.

I've never liked something over my ears when I'm shooting a rifle. It doesn't feel very natural when I place my cheek to the stock.

Last year while deer hunting I didn't get the muzzle of my .270 out of the shooting house before I popped a little buck. I thought I blew my right eardrum it hurt so bad....brought tears to my eyes the pain was so sharp. Ever since then I have been religious about protecting my hearing. Thank God there was no permanent damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.botachtactical.com/msasosuproxe.html

Looks like Botach are having a special on Sordin and it includes the gel pack inserts. Are these the ones all you guys are saying are excellent? Seems like a good deal. </div></div>

Yup, those are the ones. MSA Supreme Pro-X. That's an incredible price; I wonder why they're going for so cheap? Hopefully Botach comes through on the order for you...

i just got peltors for xmas and love em. I just took them on a snow goose hunt and they made a big difference. I also use custom plugs that I had made at a gun show. they both have their applications. I will say that i wouldn't wear plugs if they weren't custom fit.

i just got a pair of electronic muffs for christmas.

I am excited to use them this coming deer season, they amplify sound to boot so i can hear them coming from a mile away then just turn it off and pull the trigger.

On side note, i used to work in hearing research and protection is a must. You ears organs do not recover from trauma onces its gone, its gone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.botachtactical.com/msasosuproxe.html

Looks like Botach are having a special on Sordin and it includes the gel pack inserts. Are these the ones all you guys are saying are excellent? Seems like a good deal. </div></div>

Yup, those are the ones. MSA Supreme Pro-X. That's an incredible price; I wonder why they're going for so cheap? Hopefully Botach comes through on the order for you... </div></div>

yeah I have heard some horror stories. I'll update if and when they ship
eek.gif

Which electronic plugs are you folks (that are using them) using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.botachtactical.com/msasosuproxe.html

Yup, those are the ones. MSA Supreme Pro-X. That's an incredible price; I wonder why they're going for so cheap? Hopefully Botach comes through on the order for you... </div></div>

yeah I have heard some horror stories. I'll update if and when they ship
eek.gif
</div></div>

So I received the email that they shipped via standard USPS. Now to see how long till it arrives. Again, I'll update.

Just got my MSA set in so I figured I'd post on them. Botach has a good price ($200 w/gel), so I gave it a shot in spite of the negative feedback. For their part, they delivered quickly (3 days order to arrival)

First impression was not great. The packaging is not what I expect for $200 ear pro. A plain, thin cardboard box with a dent on one corner. No real protection for it. Botach packed it in a larger cardboard box with no packaging material.

Botach_MSA_Ear_Pro_Packaging.jpg

Botach_MSA_Ear_Pro_Packaging_1.jpg

They do not have MSA, Sordin, or any other label on the cups. Just blank space. Fortunately, I read that someone contacted MSA and these are GTG for warranty, etc. in the US.

Botach_MSA_Ear_Pro.jpg

The gel pads are different from those pictured on the site. They are double walled and have a vinyl feel to them. Comfortable for the short time I wore them

Botach_MSA_Ear_Pro_1.jpg

Noise reduction- I was not impressed. I've have equal or better noise reduction from regular headphones. Definitely think I'll double up with ear plugs. This improves when you tension the head band and try to force a good seal, but for me, I lost the seal as soon as I remove pressure.

Audio quality is mediocre at best. Some sounds are hyper magnified like fabric and breathing. Others get muffled strangely, like my voice.

The cable connector from the radio is mono. Going into the headphones it's stereo. The sound is weak and tinny. It requires significant volume from the sound source. But these aren't headphones, that might not be a big deal for most

Botach_MSA_Ear_Pro_Accessories.jpg

Construction seems solid. Getting the first battery in looks like it can be challenging. Getting it out probably will be.

Overall, I do not feel these are worth the money. Even with the discount. I'll do a side by side this weekend with Peltor and Howard Leight's that cost much less and report back.

Edit: Updated for pics

I use both, foam disposables and electronic muffs. I have never found a pair of muffs I liked while shooting rifles until I bought my Pro Ears. The main reason was when I shoot in a match, I was having a hard time hearing the COF with the plugs in so I'd take one out. But, the set up time was so short, most of the time the foam wouldn't expand quick enough, especially in the cold, and shooting would commence. Not fun with many having braked guns on the line. So now with the plugs and elec muffs, I can turn up the volume to easily hear even quiet conversation while still suppressing the gunfire. Or turn the muffs completely off to make it super quiet.

I did try several other non disposable plugs but, one of my ear canals has an odd "forward" shape and I could never get a good seal.

I'd definitely recommend the Pro Ears. Mine are the Tac 300 series. I did give a set of the Leight's from a Big 5 a try but they fit poorly and didn't seal. Probably due to my big head. The PE are a much nicer product all around, IMO.

Mine came in today too. Just like Autark said, they came in a plain box. The gel pads were already mounted. They seem to be refurbished models. Going to the range on Sunday. I'll update afterwards.

On a side note, I turned the volume to maximum, I was able to hear someone walking across the street....really spooky.

A quick update on the Sordin unit. As mentioned, they came with no stickers on them. I contacted [email protected] and explained that the units came with no stickers. Sordin is sending me the stickers free of charge from Europe. Gotta love that. So far their customer service is quick and effective.

If anyone else wants to contact them, its probably best to go through their website portal as it asked for your information and model before sending the email to them. That way they already had my mailing address.

I am willing to bet they are refurbs. Regardless, they come with the same warranty. They are still $90 cheaper than a new pair. The cheapest I've seen them is $250 plus shipping and the gelpads are an extra $40. So I guess its closer to $100 cheaper with shipping costs. I'll update Monday after I take them to the range on Sunday.

In combat, the noise cancelling also cancels directional perception.

But if you are fooling around at the range, why not double up?

I have used the Walkers HD's for years now when hunting,instructing and playing. I replaced the original foam plug with the cone style they are much more comfortable and seal better(poke a hole in it and feed the tube in). I use it in my left year due to the loss and damage in it and use a foam cone plug in my right. This has worked out very well for me. You will need to get used to the "white noise" caused by amplified sound but you tune it out like a wife after a while. Hope this helps you out. Brian

Tag.

I'm looking for a new pair, too. I've had bad luck with the Howard Leight Impact Sports... can't seem to get a good seal.