• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic Ear Plugs

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I am looking for a set of electronic ear plugs that work and won't break the bank. Any information would help.

There are the Peltor TEP-100 units as well. The Etymotic GSP-15 is supposed to have a newer model released in August that will have a built-in rechargeable battery like the Peltor units.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

When purchasing these types of devices pay close attention to the NNR or SNR ratings. Some of these units listed above are only protecting between 15 and 25 db, where some of the competition (even in the same price range) offer 32 db protection. You never get your hearing back, so shooting a rifle with a brake and using protection that only offers 15 db in protection is still causing hearing damage. EAR Inc. SHOTHUNT series are a good bang for your buck offering 32 db in noise reduction, actually the most I've seen in this particular nitch of the market. They can be found for much less than the website price of $799

Sport Ear Ghost Stryke are another option for a little less money offering more protection than any listed above at 30db

When purchasing these types of devices pay close attention to the NNR or SNR ratings. Some of these units listed above are only protecting between 15 and 25 db, where some of the competition (even in the same price range) offer 32 db protection. You never get your hearing back, so shooting a rifle with a brake and using protection that only offers 15 db in protection is still causing hearing damage. EAR Inc. SHOTHUNT series are a good bang for your buck offering 32 db in noise reduction, actually the most I've seen in this particular nitch of the market. They can be found for much less than the website price of $799

Sport Ear Ghost Stryke are another option for a little less money offering more protection than any listed above at 30db

Good point on the NRR. The Peltor's have a varying NRR depending on the tip that you use. If you use their skull screws, which are the foam based tips, it's an NRR 30 rating. The others are either 23 or 27 depending on the tip. The one thing that I do like about the Peltor unit is that it doesn't use a zinc air hearing aid battery like the Sport Ear Ghost Stryke or the Etymotic GSP-15 units. If you're not aware, zinc air batteries discharge on their own once you remove the plastic tab and they are exposed to oxygen. I've read that the batteries will last as short as a week to a couple of weeks before dying on their own.

Personally I'm leaning towards purchasing the TEP-100's myself and using the skull screws since I'm used to foam plugs from riding motorcycles. Unless the new GSP-15 units with built-in batteries is competitive from a price perspective as well as performance, but I haven't seen much on them yet.

Last edited:
    I too am looking at the peltors. When I am go to the range I am there 12 to 16 hours. Just trying to figure if they will last all day.

I have had the Etymotic GSP-15 Gunsport Pros since last September and I really like them. You have to make sure you choose the proper ear tip for fit to your ear canal, but with ear tips that are snug but not uncomfortable, these are good enough to use alone around muzzle braked centerfire rifles. The electronics are excellent in that they compress sound to at or below 85 db. Some of the cheaper electronic hearing protectors cut out when they sense loud noise which makes a conversation on a gun range difficult. These don't cut out and allow conversation during gunfire. The batteries are non rechargeable hearing aid batteries but they are very cheap to buy at Costco. For $300 I think these are a good value.

fucking $1-2K for 20db ear pro?......things better come with a lapdance and a steak dinner.

I believe the noise reduction is 25db, the 20db rating is the power standard not the noise reduction. And while I don't know what the power standard is I am more interested in the noise reduction and the fidelity with wich sound is rendered. The quality with which sound is amplified is incredible. Go for a walk with the ESP's in it is like being 10 years old, with perfect hearing again.

I'm going to try out the ghost stryke 2 ear plugs this week. I got a couple extra pair coming if you decide you want to try them out I can give you a decent price on them.

You can do the same thing with the Etymotic plugs, who have the best sound reproduction of anyone. Etymotic started in the hearing aid business and are huge in the music and sound recording industry.

NRR is 25 dB, which is a minimum rating they must state due to the fact that some folks may not insert them properly. If inserted properly, the gray foam tips give 35+ dB reduction.

You can get the GSP from Etymotic.com for about $255 with a discount code. They are releasing a rechargeable version later this summer and have completely redesigned them to be better. If you buy the GSP at $255 now with the code, you can trade up and pay the difference from full price between the two, around $75 and get the new ones. So you can get the rechargable ones for ~$330 that way vs $375 buying at full price when released.

They are outstanding ear pro and I have been wearing them for years.

No one in their right mind should pay those prices for earplugs.

I guess I am not in my right mind. After a trip to the audiologist who informed me I had permanent hearing loss in both ears as well as constant tinnitus, I made the decision to protect what hearing I have left and invested in a pair of ESP's three years ago and double up with Sordins. I quality of the sound is excellent and can hear every conversation around me at the range during matches. BTW my mother was completely deaf and I mean completely from mid-life on and do not want to go through what she experienced so the 2K I spent for protecting what hearing I have left was money well spent in my book.

Keep in mind NRR varies with frequency. What you read on the box may not be the whole story; like MSA Sordin's 19 NRR. Dig into the data and in the frequency range of gunfire, it's significantly higher.

I guess I am not in my right mind. After a trip to the audiologist who informed me I had permanent hearing loss in both ears as well as constant tinnitus, I made the decision to protect what hearing I have left and invested in a pair of ESP's three years ago and double up with Sordins. I quality of the sound is excellent and can hear every conversation around me at the range during matches. BTW my mother was completely deaf and I mean completely from mid-life on and do not want to go through what she experienced so the 2K I spent for protecting what hearing I have left was money well spent in my book.

I do something similar. I use foam or preferably the cheap Surefire Sonic Ear defenders and double that with my Sordins. Have never had an issue with that setup.

Alright already on The ESP, they are not for:

1) Some one who goes to the range 12 times a year.
    2) Anyone who has trouble paying the rent
    3) Anyone who does not have his kids college funds full

They are for people who shoot every week, sometimes several times a week---and want to have full situational awareness. With the ESP I can hear someone coming up behind me, I can hear the dogs and the birds. I can hear four wheelers and tractors. If you got something better than by all means enjoy it. I have a set of MSA Sordins, and they are nice, but with prolonged shooting the wind buffetting drives me nuts.

The first guy I saw with the ESP, had picked them up off a prize table, another shooter asked how he liked them and he went on and on about how he liked them. (This was a shooter whose day job was teaching handguns at a letter agency, so he used them every day) I followed up with suppose someone stole yours would you buy them with your own money. He responded "I'de be on the phone CC in hand, I'de pay for next day delivery and I'de stay home from work and wait for the package." That's what convinced me they were worth a try.

Wow, that's quite the endorsement! I meant no discouragement to anyone with my reaction, just had no idea such a thing even existed.

Has anyone tried the Walker Silencr ELC ear buds?

Hey good for you. I couldn't justify it for myself. I also don't need to hear every conversation at a range either so I don't really need something like that.

Has anyone tried the Walker Silencr ELC ear buds?

I ordered a set on Midway today. 70 bucks off. 130 I think it was, but backordered. I wear MSA Sordins for most things, but looking for something while hunting. I have bad hearing loss, and can't hear most animal sounds so don't like to wear ear plugs. This should allow me to hear some critters walking through the brush, and still give me protection on the shot. Not really planning to wear them to the range, just hunting. For some reason, my hearing loss is the exact damn frequency as an elk bugle! I have to be within about 50 yards to hear an elk bugle with my hearing aids in!! September is a love/hate relationship :)

I have a pair of the Soundgear Silver that I was able to get my insurance company to cover the cost of. I have Blue Cross and my audiologist sent a claim in to them. They work great, but can be a bit annoying if you are on a range with gravel or other background noise.. They really pick up every bit of noise.