• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic ear plugs

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
Looking for a set of in ear electronic ear pro. Would like to know if thiers a quality set out there and comfortable, preferably under 200.00
What advice do yall have?

Looking for a set of in ear electronic ear pro. Would like to know if thiers a quality set out there and comfortable, preferably under 200.00
What advice do yall have?
Just a suggestion....look at EAR and ESP's offerings and look at the price. On EAR's site, look at the Shot Hunt at $900 which is kind of the floor for good quality, amplified, electronic shooting hearing protection. Note that these types of products very quickly get into multiple thousands of $$....for a reason.

Ain't now free lunch and these type of devices, if good quality and performance, are no cheap.

Just my opinion. You may feel free to disagree.

Cheers

So Peltor EEP-100/TEP-200 with skull screw tips provide an actual noise reduction of 28db, and as your body hydrates and dehydrates the skull screw tips expand and contract, custom fit are fixed, so depending on your hydration at fitting you have less than desirable hearing protection, I use my EEP-100 at work(I fix 737s) and through a smoking deal I got some TEP-200s for shooting, I have no regrets on these, if I only had one the EEP-100 would be it because they don't time out like the TEP-200.

Reactions: Baron23
Just a suggestion....look at EAR and ESP's offerings and look at the price. On EAR's site, look at the Shot Hunt at $900 which is kind of the floor for good quality, amplified, electronic shooting hearing protection. Note that these types of products very quickly get into multiple thousands of $$....for a reason.

Ain't now free lunch and these type of devices, if good quality and performance, are no cheap.

Just my opinion. You may feel free to disagree.

Cheers

@Baron23 that’s a great reference.

I recently ordered the Sound Gear Platinum through my audiologist.

Because I’ve had total hearing loss in my left ear since childhood, the set was half price because I only need the right hand unit.

I had been using the OTTO brand Noise Barrier Micro for the last couple of years but I could never get the skull screw things to fit properly- the large made my ear canal hurt and the medium never sealed properly; they were okay until I spoke or moved my jaw and then they’d begin to feedback. The foam adapters also didn’t fit my ear comfortably.

I’ve also got pretty profound hearing loss in my right ear after years of abuse working as a line mechanic in various auto and motorcycle dealerships. Somewhere I’ve got a graphic chart illustrating my hearing loss- the chart shows the only things I hear are motorcycles, gunfire and helicopters…

My audiologist tells me that the SG platinum can be programmed/adjusted for high frequency hearing loss. I’m looking forward to checking them out.

Anyhow, they’re in the audiologist’s office and I have an appointment to pick them up next week.

Reactions: Baron23
@Baron23 that’s a great reference.

I recently ordered the Sound Gear Platinum through my audiologist.

Because I’ve had total hearing loss in my left ear since childhood, the set was half price because I only need the right hand unit.

I had been using the OTTO brand Noise Barrier Micro for the last couple of years but I could never get the skull screw things to fit properly- the large made my ear canal hurt and the medium never sealed properly; they were okay until I spoke or moved my jaw and then they’d begin to feedback. The foam adapters also didn’t fit my ear comfortably.

I’ve also got pretty profound hearing loss in my right ear after years of abuse working as a line mechanic in various auto and motorcycle dealerships. Somewhere I’ve got a graphic chart illustrating my hearing loss- the chart shows the only things I hear are motorcycles, gunfire and helicopters…

My audiologist tells me that the SG platinum can be programmed/adjusted for high frequency hearing loss. I’m looking forward to checking them out.

Anyhow, they’re in the audiologist’s office and I have an appointment to pick them up next week.
Best of luck, I’m sure you will love them. I picked ESP Apex (yeah, lots of $$) as my hearing sucks (USAF, Harleys, and guns) and the have 13 channels and they will program them w your audio gram to bring them to near hearing aid sound quality.

The are arriving tomorrow. First set made from an impression just didn’t fit well enough to seal. ESP said send them a set of insta-molds (I have many pair from comp skeet shooting) that fit well and they will make new shells from them. Hopefully we have the fit issue sorted.

I hunt quail in GA a few time a year and absolutely want yo hear what my hunting partner and our guide is saying while trying to protect what’s left of my hearing.

Same in duck/goose blind here in the communist state of Maryland). I need to hear the birds, other guys, and my call.

I bought a set of Shot Hunt from EAR some years ago but they have that soft memory foam type tips and always feel like they are going to fall out. That and the wind would just kill them. Wind is a BIG issue IME w amplified hearing protection. ESP has auto wind function while EAR has selectable mode for wind.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

Otto NoizeBarrier Micro.

Same here.
Went through multiple sets of the Peltor/3M.
The Otto set is lasting much longer without issues. Excellent charging station design.
I have large ear canals so the largest included inserts were still not sealing. I get the 12 pack of for-real Skull Screws from Amazon and push them onto the Ottos. Works excellently.

BTW, Otto has some full size over-the-head earpro that rivals the MSAs but actually has a real customer service and repair for when wires get yanked out, etc.

Check with your insurance provider. Many people dont know that they are provided a healthy budget for this as part of their health plan. Mine is fairly common in Texas - BCBS - and I get something like $1K per ear every 2 years or something.. I got Sound Gear Platinum electronic ear pro and paid little more than office visits. Probably $250 total. Thinking about getting their new version that is BT compatible.

Reactions: 338dude
I have a set of the new 3M TEP300's, i would let go. Sticking with over the ear protection so i dont need these. i'll shoot you a pm.

Have these and love them for PRS. Get the skull screw replacement tips.

I use the EEP-100 and love then. Alot of people like the skull screw but they are a little tight in my ear canal. I prefer the other foam one called triple c I think.

Best of luck, I’m sure you will love them. I picked ESP Apex (yeah, lots of $$) as my hearing sucks (USAF, Harleys, and guns) and the have 13 channels and they will program them w your audio gram to bring them to near hearing aid sound quality.

The are arriving tomorrow. First set made from an impression just didn’t fit well enough to seal. ESP said send them a set of insta-molds (I have many pair from comp skeet shooting) that fit well and they will make new shells from them. Hopefully we have the fit issue sorted.

I hunt quail in GA a few time a year and absolutely want yo hear what my hunting partner and our guide is saying while trying to protect what’s left of my hearing.

Same in duck/goose blind here in the communist state of Maryland). I need to hear the birds, other guys, and my call.

I bought a set of Shot Hunt from EAR some years ago but they have that soft memory foam type tips and always feel like they are going to fall out. That and the wind would just kill them. Wind is a BIG issue IME w amplified hearing protection. ESP has auto wind function while EAR has selectable mode for wind.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.
Got my ESP Apex back today with the new shell made using a set of insta-molds I had that fit very well.

All is fixed and the Apex fit very nicely. Sound qual is absolutely great....good amplification and good equalization for my hearing loss. I'm looking forward to using them quail and waterfowl hunting this year

Reactions: 338dude and VSP968
Have these and love them for PRS. Get the skull screw replacement tips.

The shipping is nearly as much as the Skull Screws.

Image 8-10-22 at 9.11 PM.jpg

• Sad