• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic ear protection db question

LegioX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Alaska
Normally I can find answers to my questions but I'm stumped. I've seen many different NRR ratings from the different manufacturers. -18db thru -32db.

I understand the larger the # the more protection. The earplugs we wear at work give us NRR 33db. The turbine, pump and compressor noise is manageable at 110db.I use these the same plugs for shooting all the time and they work great for me.

In the MSA Sordin Group Buy I see they offer -18db protection. Also I see via google that Pro Ears Stalker Gold has -25db protection. Are they a lot quieter than the MSA Sordin at -18db?

Having never used electronic ear pro, how do the above MSA and Pro Ears items compare to -33db foam plugs?
Thanks Gents

Re: Electronic ear protection db question

I was looking into buying some ear protection awhile ago and found this:

NIOSH recommends using subject fit data based on ANSI S12.6-1997 [or most current edition] to estimate hearing protector noise attenuation.

If subject fit data are not available, NIOSH recommends derating hearing protectors by a factor that corresponds to the available real-world data. Specifically, NIOSH recommends that the labeled NRRs be derated as follows:

•Earmuffs - Subtract 25% from the manufacturer's labeled NRR
•Formable earplugs - Subtract 50% from the manufacturer's labeled NRR
•All other earplugs - Subtract 70% from the manufacturers labeled NRR

So the electric earmuffs at 25db should provide more protection than your 33db earplugs(roughly 2db), while the 18db earmuffs should offer 3db less than your 33db earplugs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Clicks!

I was actually just looking at that MSA Sordins groupbuy and was wondering why anyone would be interested in those instead of the Howard Leight Impacts. The Impacts have the same features as the Sordins, except for the waterproof battery compartment, and have a better NRR and cost about 6x less.

The Sordin electronics are much, much better and my understanding is Sordin measures NRR a bit differently from the other companies.

If you buy really cheap electronic muffs, every time there is a loud noise, ALL sound goes away for a second or two. If you buy cheap electronic muffs, every time there is a loud noise, ALL sound goes away for the duration of the noise. If you buy good muffs, only the loud frequencies are cut off and, for instance, you can still hear someone talking to you while people all around you are shooting.

Also the sound quality is better.

Thanks for the info guys, this is the kind of knowledge I'm after. I'd like to get a pair, I wanna cry once.
wink.gif

The MOA Sordin muffs are really nice. I still wear surefire plugs with them, but the audio quality is amazing. Sounds like you don't have anything on! the gel earcups are super comfortable too.