• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

electronic ears muffs

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
have the idea to get electronics. i believe some can even be made to amplify some sounds-like a deer walking thru leaves. would want slim line ones and looking to spend < $50. there are several on sale at natchez at that $ point. so,asking for recommendations for ones that have worked well for other members.

For the ability to deaden sound and to amplify it for hunting, I'd recommend the Howard Leight impact sport.

They work best if you replace the ear cups with the gel ones. You'll be about $70 into them if you shop carefully.

The sound heard through them seems very natural compared to many other, more expensive units. They also have the ability to be turned up pretty loud so you can actually hear turkeys walking and flapping their wings.
They aren't the best with sound reduction, so I use my Peltors for shooting.

Second on the howard leight impacts as budget solutions. I swapped to sordins, but I still have the impacts as loaners - with the noisefighters gel ear pads that have the channel for glasses in case you don't have slim armed eyepro. I just don't remember them being $50...

ETA: double up with foamies if you're going to be shooting braked rifles for any length of time. I like the nascar sparkplugs branded ones.

If you can swing it, these are WELL worth the investment. About the same price as the Howard Leights with gel cups…

I’ve gone through probably a dozen sets of HLs over the years, and while they do a fine job for a while, they will inevitably crap out at some point. They are great to have around as spares - keep a set in the truck, etc. but I’ve gravitated towards plugs the recently and have been much happier.

I really like these.
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 9.40.37 PM.jpeg.png

non existent-major nerve damage
My poor hearing qualifies me for implants. I was told, just go ahead ans shoot. There is very little left to be damaged. I still wear molded ear plugs and electronic earmuffs. When I turn the electronics up so I can hear a conversation, I get that feed back squeal.
It's hell to get old.

Reactions: Keith E.
I have a few pairs of OpsCore AMPs, Peltor 3s and 5s and my loaner sets are Howard Leights which honestly once you replace the ear cups are probably about as good as the Peltor 3s and just as a comfy

That said the upper range of the amplification you get noise distortion and on their own as ear pro you definitely need to double up with plugs because it is like 25dB reduction and that shit ain't heading safe lol.

The mics are also more centerline than in front like amps and Peltors so if you wanted that all around sound they're a good entry level option. I'll admit the $1200 or so I spent on the NFMI AMPs and plugs (two sets nonetheless) wasn't exactly worth it if I didn't also use comms fairly regularly but the dB reduction and sound quality is where it really shines but honestly save the $1000 for a red panty night with the missus

my father has some nasty hearing damage in one ear, and for xmas last year I got him a set of the Axil Trackr Blu earmuffs.

They are spendy, but he loves them to bits, has used them for shooting and several other noisy activities. They don't get distortion or feedback when cranked up to amplify sound, and he loves them because of that. They also run on standard batteries, and will link to a phone for calls/notifications. The company has a fucking good warranty (I accidentally got mine smashed, and they replaced the smashed side for the asking)

Company is now a Sig subsidiary, and has been so successful Sig basically left them entirely alone aside from funneling more R&D money at them.

personally, I've got a set of the new XCor's on my shopping list for this holiday.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton