• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic hearing protection

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
I am going to be hunting with a 460 XVR and decided I am going to need some ear protection that will allow me the ability to hear as well.

Most of what I have read seems to recommend Howard Leight impact sports or Peltor 6's or 7's. I would like to keep this in the under $200.00 price range. So the Pro ears are probably out.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

ETA: I am really considering the Peltor model 97039. NRR 24
Will this be enough noise reduction for a hunting application, meaning no long strings of fire?

Re: Electronic hearing protection

The HL Impact seem to be doing well for me. Great price on these on Amazon right now. $46

When shooting with a brake or under cover I usually double plug with some foam ear plugs as well, but they let you hear talking and keep you from yelling.

Even when double plugged I can actually turn the Impacts up(so they are actually amplifying things) and can hear relatively normally with the double plug advantage when the electronic muffs "clamp down". I am sure the Peltor's are good also, but you can;t beat the price on the Impacts.
So far they have held up for about 8 months of being banged around in the range bag with no noticible degradation, and the auto-off feature is a real great thing since I frequently forget to turn them off.

Hope that helps,
madd0c

We all spend to our limits but sometimes moving a little makes sense. FYI I bought MSA Sordin Supreme Pro with gel inserts. More than 200, but I can comfortably wear them all day. They will amplify sound while keeping load sounds to a safe limit. Battery life is near 500 hours. All this is worth something,

Grab those OD green Howard Leights from academy... I have a pair of those and my issued peltors. Both work fine

The Howard Leights do not have the noise attenuation of a cheap pair of Wally World cups. Or a decent pair of polyurethane earplugs.

When I'm shooting a long gun, I can't get a cheek weld unless I slide the strong side cup up on my face a bit. But the cups are very position sensitive and this further reduces the noise attenuation.

If I wear earplugs under them, I can't turn up the volume loud enough to hear conversation. Net result, to me, the electronic function is worthless.

+1 on Peltor SportTacs. LW, my local eletrics store hooked me up with a $10 jack that connects to my radio. This allows me direct comms with a fellow shoorter(s) or marker and the radio works simply by talking provided you keep the unit within two feet.

I've changed the batteries once since May so much less than 500hrs of use and the only downside is using them on a range you get to hear all the chatting going on behind the firing line which is a distraction. Flip side is you can hear all safety or range instructions very clearly.

I have read nothing but positive about the Sordins, my only hang up is they are only rated for a NRR of 18.

I have read many positive reviews on the peltors, but the negatives seem to regard wiring issues in some models. As well as their customers service seems to be along the lines of oh well.

This leads me to think I should bite the bullet, cry for a while, and opt for the pro-ears.
Is it true that the pro-ears are made in the U.S.A.?
That seems unlikely, but a positive in my opinion.
ETA: the pro ears are also rated at 33 NRR. Obviously this is desirable.
Maybe I should find out what hearing aids cost, and decide if the extra $ now is worth the cost later?
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Separate rotary dials and no auto-shutoff would be a deal breaker.

We have guys using the Peltor 6S. While I have not heard any complaints about the separate volume controls, I have hears several complaints about dead batteries. The ears have a habit of getting bumped on in the bag.

If I was going to purchase anything other than the SportTac, it would be the MSA Sordins.

I would like to check out a set of the Peltor ComTacs, but they are way pricey. They are also current issue for some military units.

You would think I would regret spending over $200 dollars more for a set of Sordins than the HL Impacts...but I don't.

Best damn money I have spent on shooting gear, and I have spent a lot of fucking money on it over the years.

Oh, for the record, I hate my Peltor 6Ss, pieces of shit. I actually prefer the 25 dollar Caldwells to those. I have heard the CompTacs are nicer though, no personal experience. I have a hard time supporting a company that would subject consumers to the 6S, its just rude.

Come to think of it, if anyone in central Missouri wants to come get the Peltors, you can have em.

Or if you are going to the Mammoth match, I will bring em to you.

I can't in good conscious sell them, and I wouldn't loan them to anyone I like, but if anyone wants to try them...they are yours. You just have to agree to pass them on when you find out you hate them.

BTW, if gear pisses me off one time, I hold a grudge, so take that into consideration.

I just bought a set of the HL Impacts. This is my first set of electronic ears. I have been using the HL low profile non electronic muffs and really liked them. I haven't shot yet in the new impacts, but I will on Friday. I wear hearing protection all the time, even when hunting so I hope they work out well. I've been shooting since I was 6yrs old and I'm 30 now and just started wearing hearing protection the last couple years so I already have some high frequency damage in my left ear....so now I never fire a shot without protection, not even a .22

I have the Peltor Tactical 6S and I like...

Price wasnt too bad either. If they crap the bed early I will buy something "higher" in quality but until then Im happy.

After doing some research I am led to believe I can expect a decibel level around the 160-165 mark with the 460.
I don't know if the ear plugs and muff configuration will be acceptable in a hunting situation.
The IMHO low NRR on some of most of these products, combined with a high decibel level firearm is going to leave me somewhere above the pain level, close to the permanent hearing loss level,(without the added ear plugs).
This led me to purchase the highest NRR electronic muffs I could find, which happen to be the Pro-ears at a NRR of 33. Slightly higher price than the Sordins, a significantly higher NRR, but A LOT cheaper than hearing aids (or a life of ringing ears).
Going to give them a try this weekend, maybe post a review if it hasn't already been done.
There goes my $200 idea!
Thanks for the input guys.

There's a saying..."buy cheap, buy twice".
That's what I did! Save yourself some hassle and buy the Sordins Supreme Pro X the first time........you'll thank me later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwhite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a saying..."buy cheap, buy twice".
That's what I did! Save yourself some hassle and buy the Sordins Supreme Pro X the first time........you'll thank me later. </div></div>

Did you not read the this thread in its entirety? I haven't seen any Sordins with more than an 18 NRR. Not saying anything other than they do not offer IMHO an acceptable level of protection for shooting. If I am wrong, please point me in the direction of the higher rated products.

Yeah, I read the thread. Personally I find this to be adequate, I have used ear plugs in conjunction with the sordins. Just turn the volume all the way up and ambient sound is easily heard and gun shots are greatly suppressed. I've only went that route when firing a 50bmg, or a 338 lap. But again I'll say as far as a superior quality product...this is it. It won't let you down when you need them the most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwhite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a saying..."buy cheap, buy twice".
That's what I did! Save yourself some hassle and buy the Sordins Supreme Pro X the first time........you'll thank me later. </div></div>

Did you not read the this thread in its entirety? I haven't seen any Sordins with more than an 18 NRR. Not saying anything other than they do not offer IMHO an acceptable level of protection for shooting. If I am wrong, please point me in the direction of the higher rated products.
</div></div>

After looking around a bit more, I did find Sordins with a listed NRR of 22.

tag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to check out a set of the Peltor ComTacs, but they are way pricey. They are also current issue for some military units. </div></div>

Not trying to sharpshoot you or anything, but the comms versions of Sordins are also issued out as well. We got the dual comms for this past deployment through RFI.

I've been using a set of Peltor Comtacs for about 6 years in south Texas, where the heat indices are often over 110 and once got to 130, and I often have them on for 5 or 6 hours per day. No problems.

OTOH, I went out one morning when the temperature was about freezing, and the plastic headband on a relatively new set of Sordins snapped. They went in the trash.

Yeah, it's anecdotal evidence - but I'll keep wearing the Peltors.

I have been using Sordins since 2002. Add the jelly ear cupsand rock on.
I still use others but nothing I have used is as tough as the Sordins
Mine take a pretty good beating between range time and getting bounced around on the ATV.

The coldest I know of was around -16 and mine were fine outside for about two hours that day.

I have used but not owned the military spec Peltors so I cannot really give a good comparison.

I have used but not owned the

I have a pair of peltor 6s that have a tendency to turn off and on without my realizing it. The knobs get bumped and then i get a dead battery. When they are working they work well though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwhite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a saying..."buy cheap, buy twice".

Ordered a set and received them this week. You're right. Thank You!

as a firearms instructor and an entry team member, I used a set of peltor comtacs for about 4 years with out a hitch, few months ago I gave them to the wife and bought a set of the newer style comtac II muffs. they have a lower profile to fit inside a helmet a little easier, but just as comfortable and easy to use. I would recommend to anyone, and never had a problem with getting them soaked in sweat.