• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic In-Ear Hearing Pro Experience?

FourT6and2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
A bunch of threads on this subject... I've read a ton of them. I understand the best way to protect your ears is to wear buds and then put on over-ear cans and double up. I can't really wear cans while shooting because they get in the way of my cheek weld and I can't shoot at all with them on. If I'm on the firing line and not shooting, then sure... I can wear cans.

So my needs are in-ear. Electronic. The highest protection available. Quality. Reliability.

Other than fully custom units that are molded to your ear for $2K (ESP, SoundGear, DefendEAR, etc.), I've kinda narrowed my choices down to the following.

1. 3M Peltor TEP-100

2. Walker's Silencer R600

3. Etymotic GSP 15

4. Westone DefendEar Shooter (not the custom ones)

5. Sound Gear Instant Fit

6. Otto NoizeBarrier

Walker's seem to be a good value.
Peltor have been around a long time and seem to be good, but the Otto NoizeBarrier seem similar and have better reviews.
Sound Gear Instant Fit look interesting and are very minimal.
Etymotic seem ok I guess?
The DefendEar seem like they might be the best of the bunch though with a NRR of 30. But I can't really find any reviews.

Thoughts?

Sound gear makes an awesome product and with their, um, physical location they have access to some awesome tech. They are super cool to deal with as well.

Reactions: BOISCOID
I can't say for the ones you have but I picked up a set of Comtac 4's from a member on here. Fucking $700+ ear pro! They were a little messed up, someone looks like tried to prize 'em open. I got a good deal though, and turns out warranty covered it, how I don't know but I spent $3xx on a used and tampered with set of $7xx ear pro and wound up with a NIB set. Peltor has never let me down, FWIW, even when it wasn't their fault.

Anyway, I usually use electronic ear pro, Peltor tactical 7s? The nice ones with the high NRR.

Well, the Comtac 4's surprised me. They're actually rated lower NRR than the nice Peltors but somehow it doesn't really make much of a difference, at least with that I'm working with I guess? They look like ear pro with a mic but instead of over the ear they're cut out around the ear and use ear buds. These are connected to a radio. In addition to having the usual low to high volume, it also has a "boost" function that in short gives you something like close range bionic hearing.

BUT the NRR isn't the same and numbers are numbers... And unless you plan on connecting this to a radio I can't recommend 'em. Comtac 3's have better NRR, cost less and do everything the 4's can do.

Regular foam plugs have an NRR in the 30s. I guess I thought super expensive electronic plugs would be better, but I'm realizing that you're paying for the electronics and the ability to hear regular conversations, rather than better hearing protection? So I might just stick with some 3M or similar passive foam plugs with an NRR of 32 and call it a day. $25 gets you 200.

Regular foam plugs have an NRR in the 30s. I guess I thought super expensive electronic plugs would be better, but I'm realizing that you're paying for the electronics and the ability to hear regular conversations, rather than better hearing protection? So I might just stick with some 3M or similar passive foam plugs with an NRR of 32 and call it a day. $25 gets you 200.

Correct. The only advantage of the active in-ears is the ability to hear the quieter things while wearing them. I have been using the Peltors for a few years now and they work great for me. They stay in their case, plugged into a USB port in my truck console, always fully charged and ready to go. You are correct that foam plugs give better noise reduction than the active in-ears, but virtually all of my shooting is from 1000-1635 yards and you can't hear impacts at that distance with passive ear pro (and often you can't see them due to mirage, so sometimes the report from the target is all you can go by).

Etymotic work well with foam tips. They have a simple on/off for the boost function. I found the Comply tips work best for me. But, they just don't last. I've had a couple of sets over the last few years and I've had several plugs that just stopped working. Changed the filter, changed batteries, but nothing. And, of course, out of warranty when they break. I'm now looking at other options for electronic plugs so this is a timely thread.