• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Electronic loading books and data

Highbrass

Pew Tang Clan
Minuteman
I have always had the loading data books from Sierra and Hornady and others. Having a book on the bench is always handy. I just purchased the E versions of Sierra and Hornady manuals.
I personally load for somewhere in excess of 45 different calibers, and have kept hand written notes in a log book of load testing. Now that I am giving up printed books i'm thinking there might be better ways to keep my notes and data. I akso use Gordons and QL as a source and i have data from those as well.
I am thinking there may be a better way to compile and store all this information but I haven't seen a good solution. My method now is to just create computer folders for each cartridge and keep notes and scans and back up to a thumb drive. Right now I also am keeping paper copies.
I suppose i might be an extreme case but I know there are freaks on here that have ideas and solutions ??

Reactions: EarlPinion
I have always had the loading data books from Sierra and Hornady and others. Having a book on the bench is always handy. I just purchased the E versions of Sierra and Hornady manuals.
I personally load for somewhere in excess of 45 different calibers, and have kept hand written notes in a log book of load testing. Now that I am giving up printed books i'm thinking there might be better ways to keep my notes and data. I akso use Gordons and QL as a source and i have data from those as well.
I am thinking there may be a better way to compile and store all this information but I haven't seen a good solution. My method now is to just create computer folders for each cartridge and keep notes and scans and back up to a thumb drive. Right now I also am keeping paper copies.
I suppose i might be an extreme case but I know there are freaks on here that have ideas and solutions ??
Freaks? Nothing like insulting the people you are trying to get info from.

45 different loads is a lot for anyone or any platform to keep up to and easily accesible.

Just my 223 excel file has over 10 tabs from testing different things.

But I keep 1 excel file for each caliber, so far only 2 though. But it sure works. Usually you just create a load or two, or three, and repeat them once they work.

I would create a folder for pistol, rifle and black powder.

I do not almost ever delete any info, just leave them in the tabs.
The 6.5CM excel looks like this:

Reactions: Balor and simonp
I haven’t found anything worth a damn beyond what you’re doing now, a folder/album for each.
I do something similar with folders on Google Drive, separate Google Docs for each gun, Sheets for general tabular data with specific info pasted into the appropriate docs, and pics (screenshots, charts/plots, etc.) in a separate sub-folder.

I was kinda hoping someone had a better way to skin a frog...

Only if you're willing to accept someone else's cookie-cutter format, and willing to bend your methods to match theirs.

I’ve Played around with some phone apps that let you store load dev data (Vihtavuori app and GUNR come to mind), but I just keep going back to my tried and true method of making a folder for each cartridge and making Excel spreadsheets for each load dev session. Beyond that I also use log books for each precision rifle to help track things.

Since my job in recent years has evolved from 3D animation to tools development, I’ve seriously been considering writing a Python-based load development and data tool; it’s just a matter of free time I don’t have.

I’ve Played around with some phone apps that let you store load dev data (Vihtavuori app and GUNR come to mind), but I just keep going back to my tried and true method of making a folder for each cartridge and making Excel spreadsheets for each load dev session. Beyond that I also use log books for each precision rifle to help track things.

Since my job in recent years has evolved from 3D animation to tools development, I’ve seriously been considering writing a Python-based load development and data tool; it’s just a matter of free time I don’t have.
It would depend on the platforms you wanted to run on. The backend storage is easy and the analytics are not difficult. Kotlin gets you android and swift iOS on the app front. Even those I would go with a more universal language.

Data and storage on devices has basic tools. There’s better for distribution across devices and platforms. Backup, redundancy and security among other things are better too.

I’ve worked years doing web dev and played with phones. Data systems have been my primary focus for decades. Mostly large scale finance and scientific areas Analytics lately for marketing which are far more complex is what I’ve been messing with mainly for the contract money.

The analytics for development and data are not difficult. Pretty basic. My educational background is engineering (aircraft) so data acquisition systems and analysis for most systems is pretty much the same.

Yeah that’s way beyond me - I’m just a former animator who learned to code via osmosis at work. I later went to school for Astrophysics, but all of my coding endeavors have centered around computer graphics, specifically procedural animation, with the occasional backend/pipeline code. So I’m basically a race car driver who learned a little bit about steering mechanics, not an actual engineer. It’s why computing trajectories was always more exciting to me than memory management.

Yeah that’s way beyond me - I’m just a former animator who learned to code via osmosis at work. I later went to school for Astrophysics, but all of my coding endeavors have centered around computer graphics, specifically procedural animation, with the occasional backend/pipeline code. So I’m basically a race car driver who learned a little bit about steering mechanics, not an actual engineer. It’s why computing trajectories was always more exciting to me than memory management.
Na. Sounds like you have a good grasp of everything. We should talk sometime 👍🏻

I am thinking there may be a better way to compile and store all this information

There is. It's called data base software.

filemaker_pro_handloads_screen_capture_0-2665107.jpg

filemaker_pro_muzzle_velocity_screen_sho-2665108.jpg

filemaker_pro_ammo_log_screen_capture_00-2665105.jpg

filemaker_pro_deleted_pistols_screen_cap-2665125.jpg

filemaker_pro_pistol_individual_record_s-2665109.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BLEE
Yah, I didn't think it still existed outside the Mac platform. Little out of the range of what I'm willing to pay for software to *start* developing a personal hobby application on.

There are other low/"no-code" databases coming out, if that's something you want to look at. NocoDB, for example, is one that you can pay for a hosted version, or self-hosted (free) if you're sufficiently motivated.

Electronic manuals are a very handy thing. I used to carry them around with me on my phone when I started training. I didn't have to lug around a bag of books, thank God. I remember I started going to the shooting range back in college. It got to the point where eventually you couldn't get me out of the range, I was there all day long. Even found where you could buy research paper, you can visit the following website page if you are interested. Of course, after college I decided to go to military school. Here already it was not difficult to guess. In general, it happened all of a sudden and at first grudgingly. But I was so excited that I decided to change my life completely.
I did the same as you. :cool:

Last edited: