• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes elevation holds for a 100 meter zero

Andrew73

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2009
hello

I´m new in this forum, and I have to say Im humbled by it!, anyway, I have the John Plaster book, "the ultimate sniper" and the ballistic chart for elevation holds with the mil-dot reticle is based on a 600 yard zero in .308 win..., my question: does anybody have a chart for elevation holds for a mil dot reticle with a 100 meter zero?

thanks!

Re: elevation holds for a 100 meter zero

thanks metalhead, but I had in mind a chart that I could take with me to the field, one that I could memorize...in the book there´s a nice one, but like I said it´s a 600 yard zero, im wondering if anybody has a similar chart with the elevation holds for the mil dot reticle, but with a 100 meter zero..

Go to the link Metal head provided, put in the info for your rifle and AO, print it out, and make your own chart.

Alternatively, take the chart you have for a 600yd zero. For the 100yd distance it should show something along the lines of -4 Mil. Subtract that (negative) ammount to each of your yardages to rebuild the table for a 100yd zero.

So currently the chart reads '0' for 600yds, subtract -4 mils to get +4 Mils @ 600yds.

It probably currently reads '+1.2' Mils for 700 yds. subtract -4 mils to make it 5.2Mils @ 700 yds.

And so forth.

But to add...

The reason they use something link a 600yd zero if you're just doing elevation holds (no dialing the turrets) is that the typical generic MilDot will not have enough 'Dots' on just the lower stadia in order to hold out past 700 yds. You simply run out of room on the bottom of the reticle. By using a 600yd zero you are using both the top and bottom halfs of the reticle and so instead of having only 5 Mils of total holdver available, you have 10 (we'll, a little less because 600 isn't a perfect 5Mil hold, but you get the idea). With a 600 yd zero, depending on your load, you can hold high or low out to 900yds or so without ever having to touch the turrets.