• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elevation issue...

Møønlight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Colorado
I took out my new A.J Brown built R700 today for the 1st time with a freshly mounted PH 3-15x50 using 4/6 Seekin's rings.

I was trying to zero it in today hoping I could do it with less than 10 rds @ 100 yds. Well long story short, I fired 1 round just to see where I was at.

Windage was dead center and hit 6" low of center mark. So I fired 2 more rounds and the next hits were 4" up from that.

I tried to zero @ 2.5 mils and noticed that it climbed to the exact opposite side of the target 6" high, again windage was dead center. I fired another shot to check for consistancy and only this time it was about 6" completely off target high. I fired another shot again to check and it climbed only this time it nicked the very top of the target.

Maybe someone knows what I am doing wrong. I can't figure out what the issue is. I don't want zeroing to be to costly!

Thanks for any advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

Regards,
-Ms

Re: Elevation issue...

Ok, first off, forget the linear measurements! Fire a round, read the reticle where point of impact is in comparison to where point of aim is. Dial in the correction. Fire again, if you read the reticle correctly, point of impact should be point of aim.

If the point of impact is jumping all over, check the rings and base screws. Do you have a canted base on the rifle? If you do, and the scope is sliding in the rings this could cause the erratic elevation changes. Usually a loose base is indicated by wild windage changes.

I generally shoot two rounds to verify POI. I then sandbag the rifle front and back to hold POA on target and then dial the crosshars to the POI. Shoot one more round to verify and it is normally done..

Rick

I think I will start from scratch again. I'll take the scope off and check the base just to make sure it's on nice and tight. I didn't use a torque when I mounted the scope *Ducking behind cover*. I left mine at home. I will go by one of the local smith's shops today and have them mount it propper for me.

Does 15 lbs. sound right? Thanks for the help thus far.

Much appreciated,
-Ms

Remember that each mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards. Dialing 2.5 mils would've moved your POI 9".

The reticle is a ruler, instead of going down range and measuring the impact distance in inches, you should have used the ruler that is 3" in front of your nose.

The reason you use a Mil / Mil scope is so you don't have to mix measurements. As well, like stated, there is absolutely, positively NO reason to think in terms of a linear measurement.

Who cares how many inches any shot is, you have a self contained system that does not operate on the basis of a linear measurement. While it does have a linear value it is irrelevant to what you are doing. Read the reticle, match the reading to the adjustment and move on...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, first off, forget the linear measurements! Fire a round, read the reticle where point of impact is in comparison to where point of aim is. Dial in the correction. Fire again, if you read the reticle correctly, point of impact should be point of aim. </div></div>

Getting rid of the concept of linear measurments in inches will help immensely. I see in the original post you are using a PH, so since that is an FFP scope with mil reticle and mil adjustments, a mil is a mil at any magnification, eliminating the need to convert anything as you zero your rifle. As others have said, fire, read your reticle and dial until POI = POA. Good luck!

Didn't realize that you had a mil reticle. Definitely take advantage of that feature like the previous posters said. It's as simple as looking through the scope and dialing in the needed adjustments. You can get dialed in with 2 good shots using a good mil/mil scope. One shot, adjust, another shot to verify.

Frank even chimed in. I feel special now
smile.gif

I went to 7 different places trying to find a darn torque wrench with n to luck. I have to mount this thing correctly before I attempt this again.

As far as a mil being a mil regardless of power setting, what in the hell... For some reason I thought I had to have it it on 10x to zero the scope.

I guess mil/mil is going to be confusing for a while until I get use to it. MOA was easy for me, but I have heard this is a lot better and much faster once you get use to it.

Many thanks for the help!
-Ms

If it's a FFP scope the zoom won't matter, a mil is a mil. Me I bought a Mil-Dot ret with MOA turrets and it screws me all to hell.

I have a mil dot reticle as well but it's mil/mil. I have to get use to it. Hopefully sooner than later.

It's just strange to me when I zoom in how much bigger my reticle gets but it's still the same.

Thanks,
-Ms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apothus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins recommends 20 inch pounds on their scope caps. </div></div>

Yes. I figured since I am using this 4/6 set on a R700 that 15 lbs. would work just as good.

Thanks,
-Ms