• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest Precision

OutThere

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2020
Ok, I'm not understanding Eley's description properly. They're listing the velocity from 1030-1070 fps.

Does that mean that the velocity can be anywhere inside that spread?

With variations between the different batches yes. My experience is that you generally don't see that much velocity change in each batch though

Truth in advertising by Eley.
As stated before, mv spread varies by batch.
Some worse, some better.

Ran 50 out of my GM barreled 10/22. Avg was 1070 on the nose. ES of 23 SD 8.3. That was for all 50 rds. Grouped about the same or a smidgen better than my center x. I'm a bit irritated I didn't buy more than a few boxes to play with. The rims are harder than lapua though. My gun is dirty admittedly but every lapua round fired first time. Had a 1 in 6 or 7 eley not pop.

Eley has a test facility in Winters , TX. Send your barrel action to them and theY test 20 lots of ammo. The find the best one for your barrel and you get to buy just that lot. Works amazing well. It called Killbrough I think. They also sell all the Eley ammunition and usually have ton of inventory. My 2 cents.

Reactions: camocorvette
Eley has a test facility in Winters , TX. Send your barrel action to them and theY test 20 lots of ammo. The find the best one for your barrel and you get to buy just that lot. Works amazing well. It called Killbrough I think. They also sell all the Eley ammunition and usually have ton of inventory. My 2 cents.

Killough Shooting Sports, Keep in mind that for testing they only test Tenex, or Edge and there is a half case minimum commitment. If you're sending in a semi-auto rifle I'm not sure they would have a jig for the ammo to be mag fed, or have round nose Tenex on hand to test.

I went there with 2 Kidd 10/22 they hooked me up .24” groups in the tunnel through both rifles. I bought 2,500 rounds of Tenex for both guns. Expensive but 10/22 aren’t supposed to be that accurate.

Reactions: beretta_man11
I have been shooting the 42gr eley benchrest outlaw for a while now, and it's fantastic.
In my Tikka t1x:
BR outlaw- 1094fps avg with an SD of 7.5 over 20rds
BR precision- 1064avg with an SD of 11.5 over 20rds

Accuracy at 50 and 115 was better with the BR precision but I wasn't shooting well today, so it's hard to make a great comparison, but the numbers from the chrono do not lie.

Velocity is going to depend on barrel length(is all the powder burned) and the barrel diameter(a .224 barrel will be slower than a .2242 barrel).