• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eley Sport .22LR

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
For those that have used this .22LR ammo, what are your thoughts?

Eley Sport
40 grain Lead bullet
1085 fps - MV
105 Muzzle Energy

Championship Shooter Supply had some of this and I thought I'd take
a chance on it. I've read where some really like it, while others
have issues with it shooting dirty.

Some claim great 50 yard groups, while others claim it doesn't group
well at all.

For those that have used this Eley Sport, what are your thoughts? How
does it fit into your shooting needs?

Re: Eley Sport .22LR

found equal to almost better results for the price in wolf, sk, even cheap remington subsonics from wally world at 50 yds through my mkII. but buy it and shoot it and see what happens.

Eley Sport in the purple box is made in Mexico, I believe loaded by Aguila. It has the same performance as Aquila Golden Eagle "match" ammunition.

I have used it as practice ammo, but would NOT consider it for tactical competition use since, in my experience, there were too many fliers.

I do have some of this coming, I thought I would try it out on long range gong shooting, (8"x10" - 125yds), (10"x12" - 150yds), and (15"x17" - 200yds), plinking mainly while practicing my prone mechanics.

It's not an expensive ammo so I thought it might be good for this usage. Nothing fancy. I might even try it out on one of my A21 targets from 200 yards?

I too ordered this ammo from them, three days later they told me they were out of it. Champions website doesnt keep up with inventory

Give it a try.

It may be just the stuff for your rifle.

I've tried it, yes there are some flyers, yes it smells diffrent, but it shot ok in my rifle.

You will have no issues hitting targets that size at those distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rich56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too ordered this ammo from them, three days later they told me they were out of it. Champions website doesnt keep up with inventory </div></div>

Rich, I had ordered some Winchester from them but they were out of stock and they emailed me that they had this Eley in stock. That was yesterday if you're still interested?

The metal gongs are pretty generous in size, Shiraz. They're portable so I may move them back further yet? One thing about it, I can shoot a "flyer" with the best of 'em...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evilaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Worst of the Eley lines in my CZ Varmint. </div></div>

Same here!
My CZ Varmint like Wolf Match Target, just picked up a couple of bricks at the Champions Choice sales counter yesterday. From my experience here locally they have had everything the web site indicates, course no biggie they're only 4 miles from the house.

After you've shot them at the current distance, move 'em back another 100 yards and see how it goes.

It generally goes bang on the first whack but that is the best I can say about it.

I was getting great 9 shot groups out of it if you throw out that 10th shot flyer!

Relatively cheap these days though, and I ordered a case to use with my buckmark pistol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range Report? </div></div>

According to the tracking number emailed to me, they should arrive tomorrow by UPS... I'm off Wednesday so I should have a report by Wednesday evening.

I really can't imagine they can be all that bad.

Heck, today from 200 yards I and a co-worker were hitting the reduced size metal Ram (22" x 28") with regularity using Remington 36 grain Hollow Point Golden Bullets (1280 fps / 131 me)...

Combined we hit it 20 out of 26 times, (him - 8 of 11 shots, me - 12 of 15), and according to a lot of what I've read about these bullets going "Trans-sonic" - I'm not convinced as yet that where I live at 4000 feet above sea-level that I need worry about this "trans-sonic" thing? Perhaps at 1000 ft above sea-level or lower it plays a larger roll?

We walked down and looked at our groups on the metal Ram and both our groups would be easily place inside an 8" paper plate. We'll freshen up the flat-black paint on the Ram and do it again Wednesday using the Eley Sport .22LR...

The Eley Sport .22LR cartridges are here. I won't get to test them before Wednesday, but I will say that Eley does package their product very well, much like Federal - only better as their (Eley) 50 count boxes have a tray that also has a bottom, and I do like that.

So for packaging I give them high marks. Now for the test firing...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammer47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It generally goes bang on the first whack but that is the best I can say about it.</div></div>

hehe...wish I could say the same. I am not an Eley fan. I get no cycling problems from Federal 719 or 510 or Wolf/SK/RWS. But Eley Sport (and especially CCI green tag!) have been bad for my 10/22. Plenty of failures to fire. Green Tag's the worst for me though.

Eley does package well though.
smile.gif
I keep most of the boxes.

Transonic does not effect rimfire projectiles like centifires.

I'm still doing the research.

Transonic for most High Velocity rimfire is 45 to 70 yards. Anything past that will probably stabilize.

Only 200 yards? 300 is calling your name.

I've been running some charts for the Altitude at which I shoot, and it appears that my High Velocity .22LR cartridges transition at 26 yards for 1240 fps ammo, 29 yards for 1255 fps ammo, & 34 yards for 1280 fps ammo, and with the Standard Velocity transitioning at 7 yards with 1150 fps ammo.

The charts tell me at an elevation of 3800 to 4000 feet my HV and Standard Vel. bullets hit subsonic at 1117 fps where I live. It is possible I'm wasting money on Subsonic ammo?

Not sure what charts you are using.

Transonic is based on air temp, humidity has a realy very small effect.

No, you are not wasting $$ on subsonics.

Subsonic ammo only gets you in to trouble if the air temp is under 35 Farinheight.

Here the chart I've been running some stuff on. Not sure I'm using it the right way;

http://www.ebr-inc.net/balistics_calculator_wbcInput.html

I'll still buy the subsonic ammo as it does eliminate a lot of question on ammo usage. And I do believe from what I've read here at SH, the subsonic is the most consistant round to use.

The results are in for today. I fired 150 Eley Sport .22lr cartridges this morning while at the same time zeroing in my 6-24x42 Tasco Mil-Dot scope.

1. The oder these rounds put off, puts me in mind of a "lilac" oder. No big deal to me.

2. Accuracy of the Eley Sport? I use a Mil-Dot scope so it is not going to be IMHO as accurate as a cross-hair scope when using the Mil-Dot to cover your aiming point,,, however, I found them very accurate, and if I did experience a flyer while zeroing in, well that was just me, not the ammo.

3. It does shoot clean, and cleaning up of my Savage Mark II FVT was very easy after this morning's trip to the Range. Wind was about 6 to 8 mph out of the northeast. Nothing really to get alarmed about.

I shot paper starting at 25 yards off the bench with my Harris Bipod. I held the butt of the rifle into my shoulder with no sandbag support.

After getting zeroed in at 25 yards with my "Top" Mil-Dot, I begin working the other ranges and Mil-Dots out to 150 yards. After this I started shooting the metal silhouettes of Chicken - 50 yds, Ram 200 yds, Coyote 150 yards, 3" Metal reset Swingers from 50 yards, hit at 300 yards a couple times out of 5 shots at a 24" x 24" metal square.

On the Coyote silhouette from 150 yards I aimed right under his ear for 15 shots and only missed once. I could see a good group of bullet/lead splats start to appear beneath this coyote's ear. I'm sure the shot I missed was not a flyer, but rather me... Sometimes I think we may be to fast to blame the ammo.

Here are my paper targets for you to draw your own conclusions. The target with the dime by the grouping is a 10 shot grouping from 25 yards, the last 10 shots I took of the morning (numbers 141 thru 150).

I would not hesitate to buy this ammo again. IMHO it is well worth the price they charge for it. I also had no misfires at all with the 150 shots I took.

By the way. From 75 yards you could actually pick-up the bullet going into the target. This was the only range at which I could see this happening. Thought that was kind of neat...

100_0373.jpg

100_0372.jpg

Re: Eley Sport .22LR Addendum t ochampions shooter

Champions Supply left me flat after I ordered the Eley Sport, 3 days after order got a email saying they were out. 2 weeks later got a phone call from Rick at Champions explaining they are a small buisness and dont have the ability to count inventory on their website but the ammo was now in and would I still be interested. Delivery followed promptly. Thanks to Champions for follow up and good customer service. Report to follow on the Eley Sport in my 40X and 504T-HB.

Interesting that you zero'd with the top Mildot as your 25 yard aimpoint.

Most of the people I shoot with zero at 50 yards with the crosshairs, then use the dots below the crosshairs out to 150 yards, then start cranking the elevation knob to get to 200, 225 yards, etc.

for example with croshairs on target, 50 yard zero
first dot down is 75 yard
second dot down is 100
third dot down is 125 yards
4th dot is 140
where the verticle post gets thick is 150 yards

Eley Sport is the cheapest subsonic .22LR available, I think

how big are the 100 and 200 yard groups?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting that you zero'd with the top Mildot as your 25 yard aimpoint.

Most of the people I shoot with zero at 50 yards with the crosshairs, then use the dots below the crosshairs out to 150 yards, then start cranking the elevation knob to get to 200, 225 yards, etc.

for example with croshairs on target, 50 yard zero
first dot down is 75 yard
second dot down is 100
third dot down is 125 yards
4th dot is 140
where the verticle post gets thick is 150 yards

Eley Sport is the cheapest subsonic .22LR available, I think

how big are the 100 and 200 yard groups?

</div></div>

A friend of mine who has the same scope as I do was telling me about the technique he used to zero his Mil-Dot scope (a .22LR also), and by golly it worked. It takes a bit of getting use to however.

The .22mag I zeroed for another friend/co-worker of mine, I zeroed at 50 yards on the cross hairs as you say above.

The 100 yard paper group measures 7/8th inches East to West x 1 3/8ths North to South.

At 200 yards I was only shooting at the reduced NRA steel silhouette Ram that measures 24" x 29". I was hitting it in the shoulder area.

The 150 yard steel coyote shots beneath the ear was probably the best metal grouping I had as you could actually see the lead splats grouping and growing under the ear. I didn't measure that area but I think it would be safe to say 3 maybe 4 inches, and that's rather a conservative guestimation since there's really no defined aiming point like on the paper.

I will add that my goal is to make the 'Cross Hairs' my 200 yard zero point (though 150 yards looks more favorable)... Basically, I just got bored shooting at paper, so I switched to the metal targets. I'll pick up back on the paper this weekend.

Did you notice any impact changes when you turned the power knob up? I friend of mine has the same scope and his impact point changes dramatically.

The targets above show some impact changes with turning the power up and down, but this was at different distances/ranges when this took place.

I think the biggest thing is to adjust/set the AO for each distance. The 200 yard AO worked all right for 150 through 200 yard shooting, though there is room for refinement there as can be seen.

For me, 10 power worked ok for beyond 50 yards. Even the few (5) shots I took at 300 yards the 10 power was fine.