• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elftmann Savage Trigger

I'm dumb, but I am having a hard time telling if it's compatible with pre accutriggers as well. If not I'll just stick with the plan to buy the full Jard drop in.

Curious how it's 100% drop safe. If I adjust my target accutrigger down low enough I can get the hammer to fall and the saftey blade catches it by bumping the rifle.

I wonder if it's compatible with those of us cursed with the bottom bolt release. Their compatibility list is lifted straight off of Timney's website...same font and everything. I wonder if this is on the up and up.

Reactions: Meyersmp
That’s damn interesting. I would love to hear some firsthand experience. That’s not a bad price if it is gtg

I wonder if it's compatible with those of us cursed with the bottom bolt release. Their compatibility list is lifted straight off of Timney's website...same font and everything. I wonder if this is on the up and up.

wondering the same

It looks like it to me. It lools like you will still use the factory sear. That is what has the lever for the bottom bolt release

a gunsmith can mod a receiver that was a bottom into a side in about 20 mins, its just a function of adding a clearance cut on the side of the receiver. The trigger would work for both but the sear remains the same.

Reactions: M1ke
Has anybody tried these yet????
I don’t hate the accutrigger, but it’s not my favorite either. Wondering if this is a better mousetrap. Thanks!

wondering the same
Saw this on their fb review page. Apparently it works with bottom bolt release.

I want to see a review on this trigger in a savage
29FFF960-2578-493E-9A44-88A73142B57E.png

So I assume it will work with a top release on a model 12? Might have to give it a try. My accutrigger is decent now set at 1 lbs 12 oz. but I can hear the springs creeping when I apply pressure on the trigger. Wondering if this will make it a little crisper. I tried the Timney but didn’t feel it changed anything over factory. Also found it hard to set so it wasn’t slam firing. That’s probably user error on my part, but I returned the Timney.

Having toyed with the trigger its very solid and engaged well. It mounts to the stamped steel housing with nut and bolt and since the trigger rides on a bearing you lock it down to the bearing to reduce any side to side play and it still pivots freely. I really like the flat face triggers in my guns so that was what I installed first. I've been too slammed to get onto the range with it but from the dryfiring I did it seems to be a nice design. Once I get some rounds on it ill report back with a range report for you guys.

I'd like an update on this as well. I have a 116 with a shilen select match 7mm in a McMillan A5. I'm running the accutrigger and I was about to pull the trigger(?) on a Rifle Basix until I came across the ELF.

I have 2 on Savage rifles and one waiting for my Bighorn to come in. The Savage version is just a replacement trigger, not a full drop in replacement like a 700. You are just replacing the trigger, it drops into the trigger housing and you use the factory sear. They are great single stage triggers.

I got he first one a while back, probably pre-release or right after.

I also noticed some of the same issues with the Savage Elf. as mentioned in the video. On the first trigger I received, I ground down the top of the plunger to allow more threads to engage and be safer setting the trigger to a lower weight. The screw was about 3/4 the way out set to 2 pounds, which I was not comfortable with. I was afraid it would back out the rest of the way during firing. Grinding the plunger down allowed for me to set it at 1.8 pounds and still had a little more than half the set screw threaded in. I met with them at Shot Show and discussed this. I got a new trigger this week and it seems they resolved this, shortened the overall length of the plunger. I still use a little loctite on the threads to ensure it will not back out.

And in the video above, what happened to Brad was not a trigger issue. He did a bolt lift and bolt body cleaning/polishing to smooth out the action and took too much off the bolt body recess where the cocking pin rests in the cocked position and it did not fully engage 100% of the time. He is a machinist and it was fixed as soon as he got home. I was there, he is a friend of mine and we worked his 300 PRC build together.

Savage Trigger.JPG

Last edited:
Anymore feedback on this trigger? Would like to know if it’s a noticeable improvement to the 12lrp accutrigger

I am at around one and a half pounds, no slam fires, and we tried. Elfman says you can go down to 8 oz (I think) with out slam fires

Reactions: 2010Ruger
I put one on my tac 110 in a mdt chassis and wow what a difference, I left it at the factory setting around 1.5 lbs and it is so crisp it is really a perfect trigger for my rifle. My groups shrunk by a bunch now regularly shooting .350 groups from .600. makes a huge difference at 1k:)

Necro thread, but yeah...
I just bought one for my .300 WSM long range rifle and like it better than the Rifle Basix I have on another Savage.

Reactions: akmike47 and LA260
I was reminded about this trigger from this thread and decided to try one. Bought it online from Primal Arms and got it today. Easy to install, but getting it to break at under 2.5 lbs without the set screw falling out is impossible. I cleaned the spring and gave it a light soak in lighter fluid, reassembled, and it still breaks at almost 3 lbs before the set screw is backed out to the point it falls out.
I’ll be calling Elftmann Monday to see if they can diagnose the issue. My current accutrigger breaks at 1.5 lbs and that’s where I like it. It’s not terrible and I don’t mind the factory trigger, but I don’t love it so decided to try something new. So far not great. We’ll see what happens.

Update:
I sent the trigger back to Elf and got a call about a week later from the owner. He said the plunger was rough and needed a good polish. He also put a new spring in that allowed it to safely be adjusted below 1 lbs. I couldn’t get mine to go below 2.5 lbs, but wanted it set around 1.6-1.8.
Got it back this week and installed it. Breaks consistently at 1 lbs 8 oz, and very smooth. No complaints and I prefer this one over the savage accutrigger.

My final review is that this is a really nice trigger for savages at least, and better than the factory accutrigger.

Update:
I sent the trigger back to Elf and got a call about a week later from the owner. He said the plunger was rough and needed a good polish. He also put a new spring in that allowed it to safely be adjusted below 1 lbs. I couldn’t get mine to go below 2.5 lbs, but wanted it set around 1.6-1.8.
Got it back this week and installed it. Breaks consistently at 1 lbs 8 oz, and very smooth. No complaints and I prefer this one over the savage accutrigger.

My final review is that this is a really nice trigger for savages at least, and better than the factory accutrigger.
If you slam the bolt down at 1-1.5# will it drop the firing pin?

I was curious since with my target Accutrigger if it’s set low and you close the bolt hard it catches on the safety

Yep, my target accutrigger does that same thing... some rear springs may handle the issue better than others, but unfortunately there is no way around that with any design I've seen... well, without removing the safety 😬

Yep, my target accutrigger does that same thing... some rear springs may handle the issue better than others, but unfortunately there is no way around that with any design I've seen... well, without removing the safety 😬
so what is the benefit of this trigger over a factory target trigger? The accutrigger blade honestly doesn’t bother me at all

so what is the benefit of this trigger over a factory target trigger? The accutrigger blade honestly doesn’t bother me at all

Roller bearing pivot... supposed to eliminate creep and make pull weight more consistent and smooth

As mentioned, it is smoother and less to no more creep. I also don’t hear springs creaking as I was engaging the trigger like how it was the accutrigger.
No slam fires or hang up at 1 lbs 7 oz.