• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eliseo R5 / Remington 700 in 6mmBR @ 600 yards

ocabj

Unsponsored
Minuteman
I don't post here much, but I wanted to share the results of the zeroing of my Eliseo R5 match rifle (NRA HP "Across the Course").

I've had my Eliseo R5 Remington 700 in 6mmBR built since February, but haven't had the chance to shoot it beyond 200 yards until yesterday.

Was able to bring it to Camp Pendleton yesterday for the Open Practice event with the Santa Margarita Gun Club and finally got zeros for 600 yards (and 300 yards).

My load in the 27" Hart barrel is:

Sierra Match King 107gr
29.5gr Varget
CCI BR4
Lapua brass

I clocked them back in February and they were only moving at around 2750fps in 60F weather.

I already had a 200 yard zero and according to JBM, I need 12.3 MOA from 200 to 600.

IMG_2361-crop-1024-pp.jpg

So.... when I got to the line, I decided to move my front sight 2 notches (according to Rightsight, approximately 5.5MOA per notch) and my rear sight 4 clicks (1/4 MOA sight). Amazingly enough, it was dead on.

After that first shot, I shot 21 more rounds to simulate a 20 round course of fire, 2 sighters + 20 rounds for record:

IMG_7041-pp.jpg

Shot 2 ("2nd sighter") was the 8 at 12 o'clock (called it high), shot 9 was the 9 at 9 o'clock (called it left), and shot 22 (last shot) was the 8 at 6 o'clock (called it low, dropped the muzzle). The resulting 'practice' string is a nice 197 with 8 X's.

I am very happy with this rifle. Shoots great. Now all I need to do is fine tune the rifle to fit my body and learn how to shoot rapids effectively with it.

IMG_3034-pp.jpg

IMG_7063-pp.jpg

Re: Eliseo R5 / Remington 700 in 6mmBR @ 600 yards

Ocabi,
I have to ask what something like that costs... ballpark?

I have a spreadsheet with the costs and without the cost of the action (Remington 700), it was just under $2800 for everything.

That is the R5 stock/chassis with the SLED and 2 mags, the Hart barrel + labor (install + chambering + Sako extractor modification), rear sight + iris, and complete front sight (with 1.5x magnifier).

I lucked out with the cost of the action. I was browsing the AR15.com for sale forums and found an FFL closing up shop and he had a brand new Remington 700 ADL Youth Model in .243 for $310 shipped. The only bad thing was it had the J-Lock, but I replaced the entire firing pin assembly with a Tubb Speedlock. After I took the entire rifle apart, I sold all the parts sans receiver+bolt for $100.

Nice rifle....could you describe the course of fire for NRA "Across the course?"

NRA High Power Rifle aka "Across the Course" has a course of fire:

200 yards standing, slow fire (fire one round, target pulled and scored, repeat)
200 yards sitting, rapid fire (10 rounds in 60 seconds, either 2+8 or 5+5 with a magazine change)
300 yards prone, rapid fire (10 rounds in 60 seconds, either 2+8 or 5+5 with a magazine change)
600 yards prone, slow fire (fire one round, target pulled and scored, repeat)

HP is shot with iron sights only. Sitting and prone positions are supported with sling only. No sling or artificial support for standing.

Two classes: service rifle and match rifle.

Service rifle being the M1, M14, and M16 or civilian equivalents. Match Rifle is anything else. I still shoot SR in competition (AR-15).

Got to agree on that one also. I never thought I would end up owning a 6-BR cal. in the gun safe. But after doing about 5-6 hundred rounds down one. The thing is a pretty sweet Cal. choice for shooting long range paper or varmint too. I got 3/4 MOA easy out to 600 on the times I have taken it out to 600 with light winds and I am not even shooting the heavier 6mm bullets like the poster of this Thread is doing . I am just shooting 68 grn. Berger match flat base out a 22" heavy Hart match Tube. & The thing just shoots some Sick-Tight groups @ 100 to 300 yards.
The thing you got to luv about this 6-BR Cal. is it's efficiency of powder burn. There is no need for a long barrel that 22", and little recoil and little barrel heat when running a 20-round string. Your still married to buying the Lapua brass but a couple hundred prepped Brass will get you though about anything your doing. You can probably do most the entire barrel life with just a couple hundred Brass. Also nice is that my .223 powder for reload also doubles for my 6-BR load too. I do shoot my .308 out LR practice most times. I should shoot my 6-br more than I do because It is a nice Build but 6-BR grows on me the more I shoot that thing.