• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elite Iron Bipod on AXSR

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I have an AXSR on the way, and I'm going to purchase the aluminum Elite Iron bipod for the rig. I called Elite Iron today to inquire about which offset mount works with the AI AXSR, and to my surprise they couldn't give me an answer. The guy I spoke with told me to wait until I had the rifle in hand to make a measurement.
For those that may happen to be running the EI bipod on your AXSR, which offset mount are you using. I'm assuming it's the standard, but I'd like to make sure.

Another Elite Iron question for those that run it.

How would you rate the tension stability, and what's your experience with the cant feature of the bipod?

I'm not one to have a bipod fully locked out. Using the TBAC bipod as an example, I'm able to set the desired tension and leave it. I call that tension very stable, as it doesn't back out as you shoot. Truthfully, I can't remember the last time I touched the adjustment lever since I set it on the TBAC.

Reactions: Jcaplinger199
Another Elite Iron question for those that run it.

How would you rate the tension stability, and what's your experience with the cant feature of the bipod?

I'm not one to have a bipod fully locked out. Using the TBAC bipod as an example, I'm able to set the desired tension and leave it. I call that tension very stable, as it doesn't back out as you shoot. Truthfully, I can't remember the last time I touched the adjustment lever since I set it on the TBAC.
I’m interested in this as well. I’m going back and forth between elite iron aluminum vs atlas super cal on my AIAT

I have the elite iron on my axsr with the standard offset. It’s great. They have started offering quick connect interfaces since I got mine and would definitely explore that

Reactions: Jcaplinger199
I have the elite iron on my axsr with the standard offset. It’s great. They have started offering quick connect interfaces since I got mine and would definitely explore that
I have their AI spigot adapter on my AIAT right now running my atlas cal. Looking at getting a bipod though since I am mostly just prone shooting. Do you have the steel of the aluminum on you AXSR

Actually this chain is going to prompt me to figure out what I need to do to make mine QD. Anyone that can tell me I would be super grateful. It looks like from the site I may just need the quick connect versus standard mount. Definitely worth looking at QD ability at least imho. The options are different since I got my bipod

I have both I’d go with the elite iron
EI is the best for prone shooting. I use mine on both my AT with a custom spigot mount that EI makes and on my AXMC using a small pic rail at the end of the forend. I was told to not buy the Aluminum version for an AI. I bought the regular steel version and it is all I use today for those two rifles.

Some things to consider:

I run an LRA Lite-Tactical F-class bipod on heavy guns because it’s easier for me to deal with (attach, transport while attached, remove without removing suppressor first, etc). The EI has the best cant control, however. My EI is the pic rail model.

The LRA is way better than my SCAL.

I not a massive heavy user of bipods, however. I use them off a bench and not prone.

EI is the best for prone shooting. I use mine on both my AT with a custom spigot mount that EI makes and on my AXMC using a small pic rail at the end of the forend. I was told to not buy the Aluminum version for an AI. I bought the regular steel version and it is all I use today for those two rifles.
I think I’m going to get the elite iron. I sent them an email about aluminum vs steel for an AIAT in 6.5 creed

Reactions: Nik H
Some things to consider:

I run an LRA Lite-Tactical F-class bipod on heavy guns because it’s easier for me to deal with (attach, transport while attached, remove without removing suppressor first, etc). The EI has the best cant control, however. My EI is the pic rail model.

The LRA is way better than my SCAL.

I not a massive heavy user of bipods, however. I use them off a bench and not prone.
What do you use in the prone position if not a bipod?

What do you use in the prone position if not a bipod?
I never go prone. I’m not a comp or target shooter. I shoot varmints like pdogs off of a tripod or sitting on a 360° rotating bench w/heavy sandbag to stabilize it in high wind. It’s always blowing.

In pdog fields you really don’t want to get your face near the ground. Pdog poop everywhere, occasional rattlesnakes, and the fleas from pdogs can transmit bubonic plague. Plus there is sometimes tallish grass.

And my neck kills me lol.

I used to hoof a heavy sandbag or, briefly, a target front rest/rabbit ear bag to the range for my practice or sighting in tomfoolery. I saw a chap with a nice bipod and said wtf am I doing?

So I went bipod + squeeze bag at the range and never looked back.

For me, the EI is the best from a “it’s already on the gun and now I’m using it” perspective. The EI falls down on the livability sort of things I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H and BurtG
Also, one other thing to be aware of is because the EI mounts to the front of your stock/chassis, if you do shoot off benches, said benches need to be long.

Here is my range. You can see why I’m using the LRA here. My EI would be hanging off the front into space.

A6874D25-F1A3-4B8F-A4B7-D3613B447A73.jpeg

I’ve got my suppressor cover off for cooldown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H
I fixated on this QD anspect and connected the area 419 arca clamp and pic rail attachment to the rail on my axsr (having removed the pic rail that was already there) to gain QD functionality. I think this “works” but obviously it may have been even better if I had a bigger EI ring as the clearance is a tad tight. (apologies for posting this same content twice I couldn’t figure out how to link to that other thread….)

Attachments

• 8CCE4E75-2E84-4B38-86B7-5ED6536AF549.jpeg
    8CCE4E75-2E84-4B38-86B7-5ED6536AF549.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 59AEC7CD-83A9-45CE-872F-BB38960F09AB.jpeg
    59AEC7CD-83A9-45CE-872F-BB38960F09AB.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 38507460-EA5B-45C7-B742-F5B6F5BC6B67.jpeg
    38507460-EA5B-45C7-B742-F5B6F5BC6B67.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 105
I fixated on this QD anspect and connected the area 419 arca clamp and pic rail attachment to the rail on my axsr (having removed the pic rail that was already there) to gain QD functionality. I think this “works” but obviously it may have been even better if I had a bigger EI ring as the clearance is a tad tight. (apologies for posting this same content twice I couldn’t figure out how to link to that other thread….)
OK I spoke with Dale at Elite Iron and instead of rigging things with a pic rail attachment I now have the “flat Arca mount” and it has better all around clearance and less points of failure. Mission accomplished!

Attachments

• BF9053B3-0970-4CF7-BEFB-501283ADD7A9.jpeg
    BF9053B3-0970-4CF7-BEFB-501283ADD7A9.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2C1E29CD-0630-4340-B5BD-D8A1199AF2B7.jpeg
    2C1E29CD-0630-4340-B5BD-D8A1199AF2B7.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DF1E783C-AD24-4CFD-BD1E-DE2B72CE7144.jpeg
    DF1E783C-AD24-4CFD-BD1E-DE2B72CE7144.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 50D7FC17-ED1D-4185-B357-B122B92DB884.jpeg
    50D7FC17-ED1D-4185-B357-B122B92DB884.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 80732DE4-9A38-4F5F-94AA-7D760E54A609.jpeg
    80732DE4-9A38-4F5F-94AA-7D760E54A609.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 8523DB7E-663F-43EF-8F59-19358C9D0C5C.jpeg
    8523DB7E-663F-43EF-8F59-19358C9D0C5C.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: USNIGHTGUNNER
OK I spoke with Dale at Elite Iron and instead of rigging things with a pic rail attachment I now have the “flat Arca mount” and it has better all around clearance and less points of failure. Mission accomplished!
I'm thinking of running a similar set up on my elite irons. CUrrently on pic rail set up. Do you think and offset would put the barrel more central to the bipods? if so in hind sight what offset would you choose?

I think the offset can be varied to center the barrel within the ring. But if you were like me and have a pic rail attached to an arca rail if it were me I am happy having gone directly with the arca rail mount. In addition to fewer points of failure it is now sort of QD. Measure the distance from the bottom of your arca rail to the top of the barrel and ask Kathy at [email protected] to ask Dale what is the right offset.

I hope I addressed your actual question and not one I made up!