• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Elite Iron Sierra 338...Sweeeet!

coyotewillie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
NE
Just tried my new Elite Iron Sierra 338 suppressor today. Going on my .338LM RPR. It was delivered at noon and figured I'd go out and try it Saturday. Came with a suppressor cover so I spent some time tying it up and fitting it. Well, after looking at the setup for a while I couldn't take it and decided to head out and try it out. One of the perks of being retired!

I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. Before the suppressor, one day I was working up some loads early on and took a lunch break, figured up some chrono'd velocity average's while sitting there. Was thinking about that and forgot my ear protection, grabbed the rifle and let the next shot go. WOW, just about fell off the bench. I'll never do that again! Thought the gun blew up! That tank brake is LOUD. Since then I've worn ear plugs + muffs. I think the combination has helped my shooting on this big boy.

So, now with the Elite Iron, I think the noise level is somewhere between a 22mag and a 222! I'll wear earplugs, but won't have to pass on shooting if I don't have anything. Really, really enjoyable compared to the tank brake. Huge decibel reduction!

As far as recoil, it seems to be less than the tank brake, but what is there is snappier, sharper than before.

Overall I couldn't be happier. Don't have to worry about blowing my ears out (worse than they are!), and with less recoil. Of course the Ruger is threaded 3/4" so it won't fit anything else but I can safely say I won't be switching this thing out at all either. A buddy and I just tried out the noise reduction today but I plan on shooting some groups Saturday to see how it does there. Hopefully my luck will hold up and the groups will make me happy too. We'll see.

One thing I forgot about. Overall very happy, but for some reason I'm getting a fireball out of this thing. About 2''. Don't have that with a 308/Omega, but of course it's a lot smaller cartridge. And I never noticed it with the tank brake. Kind of surprising, never heard this mentioned before. Problems??

It can happen with big bores. The cans just ain't enough to do it all. It's why a lot of BMG cans will have brake baffles or outright brakes AFTER the can.

Consider a different load, powder, etc. That may bring it under control some.

I have the same can but haven't used mine yet --had it for five years now! Divorce, etc. But I have use the .50 can he made for me and same deal but boy is it a tank and it gets the job done. A suppressed BMG still sounds a lot like an unsuppressed .308 IMO, but every bit helps I guess. Could also have been the area I was shooting then, acoustics.

Dale is the man though, 100% agree! His wife is stellar too, she's the CS and sales side of things! Or was, maybe they've expanded since then.

Admittedly I can't see the fireball behind the trigger. You can see it if you're behind and to the side though. My buddy noticed it when we first shot it trying the suppressor out. So really, no problem, just kind of interesting.

The biggest surprise, and the best, was how much suppression there was on the 338. Reading some of the reviews on here of some large bore suppressors, it sounded like it might still be pretty loud. But I was very impressed by how quiet it was. It is a little on the heavy side though, weighing in at 28.7 oz. But with the amount of suppression and being on the heavy bbl that the RPR has there's no problem for me. I'd definitely recommend an Elite Iron.

Crazy deal right now silswncer central has these for half price
I just got one for 420$! That’s free for the quality brake it is