• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elk Sled ?

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    Ok just an idea for some of you hunters that hunt the winter side of the seasons - usually I use my game hauler (load shelf) by KUIU and make multiple tips. In the snow, tying a paracord to a quarter and dragging it in the game bag “hide” side down works, but it flips over rips the bag etc.

I decided to share a gift I made for my brother-in-law using what we did since I was young to haul wood for snow camping. These work well even over grass and dirt.

Anyway, it may take a bit of imagination, but imagine your pack has an Elk quarter, backstraps, tenderloins and your want to haul another quarter. Placing the quarter on the sled bone in with the lower leg section facing rearward, under the loop by my boot, tied into the side loops and pulled by the loop in front just as you would any sled; it greatly reduces the friction and effort needed.

FF5FDCCF-E06B-4C8F-8676-54E92EF68467.jpeg
    58F7E992-38ED-48B0-A74A-364FFE5F8BE6.jpeg

Here is my brother-in-law standing holding My pack with quarter and the quarter I was dragging without the sled ~ using the traditional paracord connected to the leg.
    8378A97C-BA62-441A-B55F-8CC963BFAFDB.jpeg

Wish we had this on the last trip :)

FYI I need something I can pack in even to the stalk. The sled was $7 on Amazon, I had the paracord and heated a punch to make the holes.

Maybe you guys have other Uber light weight ideas.. boning out of course is an option.

Last edited:
    I used to just pay a buddy of mine to fly out the elk in his helo. Pricey but so worth it. Sadly he doesn’t have the helo anymore.

Reactions: mzvarner
    Been using a kids plastic sled for decades. Yes it slides over snow and grass. Takes the weight off the back and legs. I also used a WildThings drag bag.

Clip the P cord to your waist belt of your pack. The P cord needs to be on the long side.

Side hilling the pulk will roll down hill. Lash down the meat tight.

I found sheet sled dig into snow pack at times.

Thanks for sharing.

Good luck

Reactions: Spblademaker
    Get a concrete mixing tub from Lowes/Home Depot. They'll slide right along in the snow.

Or, a more real deal, an ahkio:

You can haul the whole elk out in that...if you have enough guys/horsepower to pull it.

Another option is REI sells sleds.

Last edited:
    What boots are you running in the picture?
    Salewa Mountaineering (ridge sole for crampons) but very stable for side hilling. They fit my foot a hair better than the super wide Scarpas.

i don’t use them if I don’t expect heavy heavy pack-outs or steeper climbs. Paired with a good gator they are hard to beat in the snow though - check out schnees if it’s just deep snow though

Ranger sked from skedco is what you may want. Not cheap. But would greatly reduce effort over long distance. Or a foxtrot litter

The guys in our unit seem to be in this stuff.. so something ridged or something bigger than a quarter might be tough.

167289F8-947D-4496-A01F-3EA4652DEB41.jpeg

close image of the brush at the top of the ridges

09B6C05D-9FF4-4A1E-8A7B-34D94CD0A105.jpeg

Last edited:
    T
    Salewa Mountaineering (ridge sole for crampons) but very stable for side hilling. They fit my foot a hair better than the super wide Scarpas.

i don’t use them if I don’t expect heavy heavy pack-outs or steeper climbs. Paired with a good gator they are hard to beat in the snow though - check out schnees if it’s just deep snow though
    thanks Diver.

Neat idea, bet it would be even easier if you were not hauling all that bone and hide.

HMMM....I like the $100 solution. That sled goes through hunker brush ? You guys are tough!
    Max you are the tough one!!!!! BTW thanks for being the best ever’

you have to see how fast this guy (Max) can brake down an animal and pull the tenderloin without opening the body cavity in minutes. Freaking amazing finder of Elk too.

let’s go shoot at our club soon— workout the RRS;)

Last edited: