• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elmer Balance M1A

joseph diaz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Bayfield Colorado
located a Devine Tx. M1A put together by Elmer Balance out of Devine Tx. he has all paperwork,on M1A. he is asking 4000.00 is this a fair price and are these M1As worth that much it is unfired other than beening test fired according to the owner.it is a 4 digit ser # range its stamped , box 210 devine tx just forward of the gas adjustment underneath the barrel,any info would help,hoping to own this fine M1A,again any info on this M1a like who was elmer balance,how many rifles did he build,are they accurate ect.

Re: Elmer Balance M1A

Elmer Balance was the original maker of the commercialSpringfield Armory M1A rifles before the Reese family bought the Spring Armory name from Balance. The Devine M1As are considered some of the best of the Springfield M1A rifles. Early Devine M1As often sell between $3000 and $4000

That would be an average price. I have serial number 000600 which is a National Match rifle. You might consult the m14 forum(the firing line) as it has a section devoted to Devine rifles with a serial number list.

Most people buy the Devines for bragging rights not as daily shooters. Buy the Devine to admire, show off, and pass it on to your grandkids as a historical piece and buy another NM M1A in McMillan stock for a daily driver or a competition piece.

Friends don't let friends own just one M1A...

i had 2 Devine Tx. mia's years ago. both were better in my opinion then the springfields. Fine collector weapon and shooter. they are getting harder to find these days. if i could afoard to buy it i would.