• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Elongated Flash hole

knutson24

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
North Pole
I just receive and order of 25 wssm brass. Out of the 50 cases 35 of them have an elongated flash whole. What would cause this deformation and would the brass still be usable. Would post pick but havent been able to get a real clear picture so I used the paint app to give an idea what i'm talking about. Thanks for any info.

Knutson
[img:center]http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/download/file.php?id=1892[/img]

Re: Elongated Flash hole

Shoot them. If you can't find a good load, uniform them. Money says you will not know the difference.

what are the odds theres any chance they could cause a spike in pressure? Because on some of them if I were to uniform them the flash whole would almost be the size of the primer pocket diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knutson24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if I were to uniform them the flash whole would almost be the size of the primer pocket diameter. </div></div>

you are doing it wrong, dude. What tool are you using?

...are you using the Lyman and boring it out to the O.D. of the Lyman tool? If so, I can see the mistake you are making.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knutson24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not doing anything wrong. </div></div>

Agreed, you may be misinterpreting me.

Then again, I checked out the diagram you posted.... that is nuts, bro.... can you post a real-time pic? thanks.

if it is as bad as your diagram depicts, it may be defective...

Thats the conclusion I've gotten on other sites as well. I tried taking some pictures but there such a bad glare its hard to see the flash hole clearly. I think i'll give winchester a call and see if I can learn any more info. I'll also see if I can borrow a buddies camera to get better pics to post.

know what? I would think that if it is fucked-up brass they would jump on it to fix it. Good luck with it, man....

I sure would hope so being they are suppose to be "New unprimed Brass." The only bad thing is Winny is the only company that makes wssm brass

uniform the flash hole if its a small differance after that load a few to compare and make your decision.
Bill