• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR accuracy - Bi-pod vs, Tri-pod vs. Bean bag

dave1894

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
IRAQ
I am requesting some experienced individuals here that can tell me the differences in accuracy between using these systems. The preferred method of shooting in terms of accuracy. I will post what I would assume be best in terms of accuracy in order.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I do not have an extensive amount of time behind a long gun, but it could be me to; it seems I am more accurate with a sand bag than I am when using a bi-pod.

<span style="color: #FF0000">PLEASE:</span> EXTREMELY EXPERIENCED SHOOTER'S ONLY

1.Tri-pod mounted close to trigger wheel
2.Bean bag
3.Bi-pod

Re: ELR accuracy - Bi-pod vs, Tri-pod vs. Bean bag

I have shot off all three systems, but for the last few years, I have only shot off bipods, or kneeling, or offhand. Also, in the last few years, I have gained a lot of skill. So, I could say that I have shot my best groups by far off a bipod, but it would not be an actual comparison. I'll stick to bipods though, or my pack when I can't use a bipod.

Whatever allows you to build the most stable position is the right answer.
Environment dictates what solution is appropriate for each target.
I run all three solutions at most competitions.

That being said, lower is generally better.
My most stable firing position is prone with by bipod legs up and a "tactical pillow" under the folded bipod.
(Modified Hawkins position where the "tactical pillow" replaces the fist.)
Setting up like this for me is more stable than a bench.

For all other conditions, I run a 9-13 Harris S model to get over grass or to overcome incline in terrain.
If the Harris is not high enough or if I'm shooting movers, I'll turn to the tripod.

As for your observation that you are more accurate with a bag over a bipod, that is a technique issue.
Shooting off of bags or a low tripod can be a lot more forgiving to lapses in technique.
Since bipods are attached to the weapons system, they introduce external forces that can make dramatic changes in what happens to the system in both preload & recoil.
I believe Lowlight has a section in his training thread devoted to such technique.

It always comes back to the fundamentals:
- Natural Point of aim
- Squaring up to the rifle
- Ensuring that the stock is properly positioned on your shoulder
- Pre-Loading the bipod
- Sight picture
- Trigger control
- Follow through

My personal experience is that all of these can be worked on by using a .22lr trainer.
By doing so, I'm able to get thousands of rounds of practice for a fraction of the cost.
For the most part, if you are able to do it with your trainer it will translate over.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe...

"My personal experience is that all of these can be worked on by using a .22lr trainer.
By doing so, I'm able to get thousands of rounds of practice for a fraction of the cost.
For the most part, if you are able to do it with your trainer it will translate over"
+ 10 what Dr. Phil sayed. Sigin up for online training here.Jim

Bi-pod with tight packed sand bag rear.

I am not sure I am qualified as "Extremely experienced shooter". Each shooter is different when it comes to the ergonomics of the shooting position. Then some are blessed with the ability to shoot accurately in any position. (I ' m not saying that I am.) For me shooting prone from bipod with or without rear bag is most comfortable and accurate.

Its called shooters prefence ...