• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR accuracy compromised by camo skin?

88blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
I'm hoping some members here on the hide might be able to answer a couple questions I have. I'm considering purchasing the Mossy Oak camo Skin kit. My two concerns are,

1; will the covering affect LRA via barrel harmonics(having a thick pvc plastic coating on the barrel) compaired to camo paint kits like at Midway and Brownelles.

2; could the wrap possibly trap moisture under the skin wrap and rust?

All my LR rifles are Savage actions w/match barrel replacements, bedded stocks and very accurate. I don't want to effect accuracy. I commonly shoot 300 to 800 and occasionally out to 1500yds. Have you guys heard of this before?

Also, which one do you recommend? mossy Oak puts out this kit for full rifles and scopes. I have never done a camo job on a rifle, so not sure what I'm in for.

Thanks

Last edited:
Get your stock painted/dipped and you BA coated with Cerakota/Duracoat etc etc. If your rifles are investments dont take short cuts like wraoing it with that stuff.

Cool, thanks. I thought those kits might be crap.

Main thing I was wondering if thick coatings, camo tape/coverings on the barrel would affect LRA? You want a free floated barrel (not touching anything), so would there be issues when heavy camo hung over the barrel or camo wrap changing the harmonics when the rifle fires?

Last edited:
I have wrapped camo tape over rifle barrels in the past and found no change in accuracy. I tape my wifes bright stainless .250 Ackley barrel every year without any accuracy issues. Most of her shooting is 100-700yds.
However, I prefer to rattle can Krylon my rifles if camo is needed. This allows me to adjust camo for the time of year and area I am hunting. Also no change in accuracy or zero. Or it is so slight that I can't see it.
I generally shoot from 100- 1200yds with some shooting to a mile (fun).
Dave