• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Bipods

Steelhead

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2003
Idaho
Other than the Phoenix and the Mystic bipods, is there any thing else out there that is "top notch" for field type ELR shooting? It looks like most of those who are shooting past 1 mile are going with the Phoenix or some sort of "ski's" for feet. I saw one in action last weekend and am starting to look around. I'm leaning towards the Phoenix. Thanks in advance for any input!

Theis,

Thanks, I forgot about that one.

Our club has been doing "1 Mile" matches since at least 2011. We did a few before that, but that year we erected two steel targets specifically dedicated to Mile matches. Matches vary in rules from time to time, but most start out at around 1400 yards, then we move out to 1760, then to 2000 and then somewhere in the neighborhood of 2157 to 2200 yards. (Our limiting factor right now is land). All shots are made from prone.

I've been running the Harris for years, and has worked just fine, but I would like to upgrade.

Reactions: THEIS
Accuracy solutions HD50
F6D70457-1178-48E0-897E-D16FA0EE3DF2.jpeg

Same State. They are Eastern, we are Western. I grew up near Arco and know of what you speak.

I'll take a look Elite Iron.

I just went to the ACCU-TAC HD-50 on my AI-PSR. I am shooting a 31 inch 33xc MTU contour barrel. This a very well built stable platform. I plan on using it on mt 375CT later this year when it arrives.

Reactions: Alabusa
Long range accuracy makes a nice bipod

I don't think they have been available for a while. I just looked and the are discontinued on eurooptics site now. That's a shame because I like my LRA f class bipod.

Might be a knock off, but I just got a LRA bipod off of eBay. It seems sturdy, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

I was looking for the LRA's and I've been coming up empty too. Makes you wonder if the one on ebay is real or a knock off.

I’ve shot LR for quite a while, recently, stepped into ELR. What I’ve found is like you, a lot of ELR is shot from f class type bipods. There is a reason the f class guns use them. While the folding bipods can be shot very well, I run a 5h on my 375 at times, the f class type bipods are simply more stable. I’ve shot as small and smaller groups with my Joypod as I have with my Phoenix or 5h. I will be doing a lot of testing between those 3 in the future. One big draw I can see to someone running a joypod, which I’ve never seen one in an ELR competition, is weight. They are incredibly light.

I'm starting to think that one of the "wide stance" type bipods is the way to go for what I'm looking for. Eventually having multiple different types would be ideal, but for shooting prone off a mat, something like the Phoenix is the way to go. Then get something like an Atlas 5H would be a good "in between" bipod.

I'll take a look at the joy pod too.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Great comments and advice!

Might be a knock off, but I just got a LRA bipod off of eBay. It seems sturdy, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

I took a chance on the LRA knock off.
After running some lapping compound on the cant pieces and applying dri lube, I haven't been able to break it.
338 LM Imp. Really like it so far
Bought another. Looking at a JoyPod seriously though.

Didn't know LRA quit making 'em. They were never easy to acquire though. Guess I'm lucky to have the one I have then. Nothing is more solid than that thing.

For you LRA lovers like myself, Cadex has a bipod that is almost a dead duplicate of the LRA Tactical. It locks up a bit tighter than the LRA also. I know you can't get the originals anymore, but there is an alternative now! Here's a couple pics of the LRA F-Class, Tactical and Cadex for comparison:
IMG_20190416_122534836.jpg

IMG_20190416_122657120.jpg

Thanks man, that's not bad! Worth keeping in mind. I just really, really love my LRA and was looking forward to them coming out with an Atlas sized version but made like the usual LRA... It never came out, now it seems it never will. What put 'em out of business? Not enough exposure? I don't get it. At least CADEX will keep the fire lit.

Thanks man, that's not bad! Worth keeping in mind. I just really, really love my LRA and was looking forward to them coming out with an Atlas sized version but made like the usual LRA... It never came out, now it seems it never will. What put 'em out of business? Not enough exposure? I don't get it. At least CADEX will keep the fire lit.

Talked to the maker of the LRA bipod about a year ago. Seems he had issues with local taxes and zoning regulations that wouldn't allow him to keep his shop open. He then looked to subcontract the major parts manufacturing to another individual/shop but for whatever reason that fell thru. Last I heard he was looking for someone to buy the business....

A real shame though. It was a very nicely engineered bipod.

The Cadex seems like a nice piece of kit. Wish they would come offer some decent ski feet for it with the ability to dial in some fine adjustments

Reactions: camotoe
Thank you Theis!

Big fan of the Fortmeier. I really like the improvements that RPA have made to it.

The Dolphin also seems pretty nice but I wonder if it can handle the weight and recoil of a BMG platform?

Theis and Geno are giving great advice. If you look at the geometry, you get more side-to-side stability when the bipod legs point to an intersection above the barrel. Look at F class, Elite Iron, etc. Read Tom Beckstrom's comments in his article on ELR tips about precision. As the virtual intersection point of the bipod legs move above the barrel, the bipod resists lateral deflection. This also applies to the rear bag you use, how you use it and whether or not if it supplies lateral support. See the Sinclair bag with "ears":

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooti...bags/edgewood-grab-handle-bags-prod38047.aspx

Ideally, you'd have a perfect shooting position such that the recoil would be perfectly front-to back and you'd see the impact of the projectile with no problem, be ready for a quick follow up shot and read the Hide on your phone in your spare time while you wait for your 3 mile hit.

Then there are us lame mortals that need devices that help us limp through our shortcomings, like a great bipod.

I've made my own bipod for my 375 I'm having built. Both for the cost savings and fun of making it. My gunsmith was really impressed with how it turned out.

Attachments

• 20180901_220940.jpg
    20180901_220940.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 20180702_185704.jpg
    20180702_185704.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 204
I wouldn't call Mystic "top notch", nor would I ever support him or his company. He's a clown.

My ELR rifle, a .300NM, has a LRA F-Class bipod with ski feet, I think it's a really good fit for the rifle.

I use the LRA F-Class on my Mirage ULR and really like it. A few months ago I one to order the light weight version like pictured above and was greatly disappointed to find they are not available.

I've been trying to find information on the Tier-one evolution underslung bipod to put on a rimfire but not having much luck. It may not be large enough for heavier guns but they have a F class bipod:

Scootch

I’m digging that Dolphin Ranger. Thanks THEIS

I just went to the ACCU-TAC HD-50 on my AI-PSR. I am shooting a 31 inch 33xc MTU contour barrel. This a very well built stable platform. I plan on using it on mt 375CT later this year when it arrives.
How are you liking the 33xc?

Whats wrong with atlas 5h? I love mine!

I found a local dealer that has the 5H. I didn't like it. Pain in the but to get it on and off the rifle and then it would lock down tight enough for what I like. The dealer was trying to show me how it worked too, as he really likes his, but he was stumbling around with it and couldn't get it on/off the rifle very easily and couldn't lock it down either.

If he couldn't lock it down then he obviously had no clue how to adjust it. That's why I like it for long range shooting, level the rifle then flip the lever and it's locked down.

Use the ACCU-TAC HD-50 this weekend at a ELR match and was very happy with how stable it was. Any misses i had were not due to the bipod. My AI-PSR weighs in at 24.5 pounds.

I went with the Elite Iron .50 Cal model on my DT HTI and I'm very happy with it. Very solid and stable.

CE1FE887-D68A-4C16-ABD3-2E648B3CE4D9.jpeg