• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Cartridge

TheHolyMountain

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2020
NC
So, I have moved back west and have the ability to go to ranges with 1000 yards easily, with a bit of effort a 1 mile spot. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor from Alamo that is great but I am pondering an ELR cartridge. I am new to long range shooting in general (not shooting overall) so I have a bit of information overload at the moment. I first started toying with this hobby when the Ruger Precision and 6.5 were just coming out, everyone of course thought 6.5 would be a fad....well, that has proven to not be the case. Which now has me questioning newer "fad" cartridges for ELR. I also figured I could get a caliber that could double as an elk hunting round should I decide to go down that tunnel. I also would like to stay away from a cartridge that would be banned at my local range - .50, 338 Lapua etc. So, I have been pondering the 300 PRC, 7mm PRC, 300 Norma. I suppose, knowing myself, I could easily get into reloading too, which seems opens up a whole array of options. I know this is a vague and broad question(s) so I am just looking for some insight and direction, help maybe seeing some pitfalls etc. that a newbie may not know. Thanks guys!

.300 Norma Magnum is going to be the easy button for 1 mile shots
.300 PRC and 7/300 PRC would also work nicely for 1 mile shots

If you are going to be just doing 1000 yards, then 6.5CM is a pretty nice all around option, no need to go further for target shooting at 1000 yards.

There is another thread, just about the same question - somehow I missed that - seems to be the consensus. Start with .300 norma or .300 PRC. Would a Norma be poo poo at most ranges to protect their steel? I mean, the 6.5 to a 1000 is almost comical. I guess I could start working on tighter groups. I think the wide open spaces have just gotten my attention!

Do you go with a full custom build like Pierce or just do an off the shelf MRAD? I love my Alamo, however, my experience is limited to just that rifle.

I am sort of leaning towards .300 norma. Seems recoil isn't much more than PRC and allows me to expand into XC correct?

I know R.Bros does this, curious if any other custom builders do - he develops a load formula for your exact rifle and sends it with the rifle. I always thought that was a pretty awesome touch. Anyone else?

You know, I double checked...they just mention .50. I swear one of them banned .338.
Yes, I could see them banning 338LM, but would think if they did they'd also ban 300NM (and of course 338NM). They all put about the same energy on target, burning around 90gr of powder each. Yes, 300NM (or 338NM and 338LM) would give you the bolt face for XC. Also, 300PRC will give you maybe 80-90% of what they do, but if you're limited to factory ammo it's a little less than half the cost.

Reactions: TheHolyMountain
@TheHolyMountain
I would never support a range that banned 50bmg or other .50cals. By the way, true ELR starts at .338 and 1500 yard. Anything under 1500 yard and caliber under .338 is not true ELR. I would still advise you to get a 300nm or 338nm. Both are top for up to 2000 yards. If you want to go further, then look at .375, .416 or .458 (just my opinion). Good luck.

So just curious, why do they ban them? They just destroy steel?....nevermind, YouTube answered that! LOL

Last edited:
Only left wing democrats see reasons to ban things like in california where probably even the range owner voted for Biden... 1/2" thick AR550 plate will stop any 50cal bullet as long as it is not AP. I see no reason why 50cal should be banned on a local gun range. In fact, I say a range that bans 50cals is not worth the money.
Edit: sorry but whenever I read the word BAN in connection with guns I get angry. I'm German and the restrictions here are bad but even here you can shoot 50 cal at the range. If you have any serious questions about caliber choice, feel free to ask. If not, I'm out now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandit320
They do it because it annoys the shit out of the other shooters on the line with noise and blast. And I get that. I've had some tool-boxes shooting braked rifles beside me and I wanted to kick their balls.

even 3/8" AR500 will take BOHICA from the 50 BMG as long as it can swing or otherwise give a little

• Love
Reactions: camotoe and Maggot
They do it because it annoys the shit out of the other shooters on the line with noise and blast. And I get that. I've had some tool-boxes shooting braked rifles beside me and I wanted to kick their balls.

even 3/8" AR500 will take BOHICA from the 50 BMG as long as it can swing or otherwise give a little
Here comes the solution. Place boards or a wall between the shooters. This way you won't get the muzzle blast in your face when a 50cal shooter is next to you.

If you want an ELR build, get a Pierce 10x shell holder in Lapua bolt face and have Alamo spin you up a 300 Norma barrel and stick it in a chassis or a Manners ELR light, or McMillan A6-A7 Supermag stock with a 1.5" profile barrel. Keep it under 26 pounds if you want to compete in a match.

Or go Defiance Deviant or whatever you favorite action is and build out that. It will take longer than buying an MRAD but it should be a nicer shooting rifle.

Scott

.300 Norma Magnum is going to be the easy button for 1 mile shots
.300 PRC and 7/300 PRC would also work nicely for 1 mile shots

If you are going to be just doing 1000 yards, then 6.5CM is a pretty nice all around option, no need to go further for target shooting at 1000 yards.
Yup. With my stock (except trigger) Remington PCR 6.5 I was regularly hitting 1 MOA and better at 1000. At 1400 things started getting a bit wanky, and at a mile, just wasting ammo.

Some were shooting the 375 CT and getting lots of hits but the concussion sucks. The 300 PRC, while not up to the 375, was doing the mile quite easily and less concussion.

Looking that way.

Reactions: kb300w

The concussion is wicked.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Here comes the solution. Place boards or a wall between the shooters. This way you won't get the muzzle blast in your face when a 50cal shooter is next to you.

20231119_145242.jpg

So, I have moved back west and have the ability to go to ranges with 1000 yards easily, with a bit of effort a 1 mile spot. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor from Alamo that is great but I am pondering an ELR cartridge. I am new to long range shooting in general (not shooting overall) so I have a bit of information overload at the moment. I first started toying with this hobby when the Ruger Precision and 6.5 were just coming out, everyone of course thought 6.5 would be a fad....well, that has proven to not be the case. Which now has me questioning newer "fad" cartridges for ELR. I also figured I could get a caliber that could double as an elk hunting round should I decide to go down that tunnel. I also would like to stay away from a cartridge that would be banned at my local range - .50, 338 Lapua etc. So, I have been pondering the 300 PRC, 7mm PRC, 300 Norma. I suppose, knowing myself, I could easily get into reloading too, which seems opens up a whole array of options. I know this is a vague and broad question(s) so I am just looking for some insight and direction, help maybe seeing some pitfalls etc. that a newbie may not know. Thanks guys!
Do you know if there is a movement to ban the 338 Lapua other than noise what bases is there?

P. S.
I have been shooting it for a while with no comments

If you're just doing this for fun, your 6.5 Creedmoor can definitely make it a mile and still be sporty.

If you want to be competitive and have a higher potential hit ratio, I think a 7mm (like the PRC) or .300 PRC are good options.

The .300NM is a big step up in cost (.338LM actions, barrels, components, powder use, barrel life, etc) for not much gain over a PRC. True, the norma would allow you to get into the XC cartridges in the future, but would you ever need that? Not at a mile.

I have a .300NM, but if I was to do it again, I would get a .300PRC. It's more cost effective, better barrel life, while having almost all the performance.

If I don't run my .300NM into pressure, I essentially get .300 PRC performance but while burning more powder and barrel life.

I think the issue with .338 Lapua is target destruction and that massive BOOM! I have no clue, I have yet to take the time to get set up at the range still. Just lagging so much with work, home, family, etc. I think a 7mm PRC or 300 PRC is the next logical step....could definitely take an elk at longer range ethically, is a step above the 6.5 creed moor. I have never shot anything larger than an old 7mm Mauser (and that was as a kid) so certainly could build up my foundational skills with cheaper ammo and avoid getting some recoil ticks. Now....go chassis or go standard stock like my Alamo???? That is the question. I like the Cadex - just adjustability and aesthetics - which is silly but hey, it looks rad! However, they are seem a bit overpriced. I suppose I should think about back country hiking/hunting too.