• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Handguns

7fingers

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2012
Ohio
I started a couple years ago trying to compete in ELR rifle competitions with a handgun and actually was surprised at how well it went. In 2018 I competed in two ELR competitions and finished bottom of the pack in Texas at TWLSC and mid pack at the NRA/ELR National Match. After the 2018 NRA/ELR National Match I was told that I would not be able to compete there with a handgun again in 2019 due to the rules requiring all weapons to be shoulder fired. In 2019 I once again competed in Texas with my 28 Nosler handgun and finished mid pack. Since I was not allowed to use my handgun in the NRA/ELR National Match again I competed there with a factory Savage 338 Lapua rifle and finished 3rd in the light class and set a new ELR Central World Record at 2158. At the end of the season I had a conversation with one of the other competitors and he told me that I should stick to rifles because I would never be more than a dog and pony show in ELR competitions with a handgun. This year I was only able to make it to two ELR matches using my 33 Nosler Handgun due to Covid-19 causing match cancellations. In the two matches that I was able to attend this year the TVP Invitational ELR Match and the ELRSO event at Black Bear Shooting Complex in Virginia I proved that these handguns are no dog and pony show. With a 5th place finish at the TVP Invitational and a 1st place finish in Virginia at the ELRSO Match I think a few eyes were opened. Hopefully 2021 will bring more success for these ELR Handguns and hopefully there will be a few more competitors using them. There are a lot of great shooters out there with these handguns and I would love to see more of them venturing into the ELR field.

Attachments

• 96A96268-AA1E-4B0A-A983-C3E178359544.jpeg
    96A96268-AA1E-4B0A-A983-C3E178359544.jpeg
    907.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 97980BFA-501B-413E-866A-697D01D0EE4B.jpeg
    97980BFA-501B-413E-866A-697D01D0EE4B.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 132
  • B4958279-3EC3-492E-B31E-234A61B772CF.jpeg
    B4958279-3EC3-492E-B31E-234A61B772CF.jpeg
    810.1 KB · Views: 124
  • F34DB5DC-91FE-4BEB-952E-A730033168F4.jpeg
    F34DB5DC-91FE-4BEB-952E-A730033168F4.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 114
It was great shooting against you in the TVP Invitational. You proved...in my eyes...that you are an incredible shooter and you are not a dog and pony show. I think most people see the word 'pistol' and are not looking at the ballistics. You are breaking down barriers that people have constructed...because they are stuck in the past. They are not getting out of the 'tried and true' old school box and experimenting and pushing this sport forward. Thank you sir for pushing those boundries...and being one hell of a friendly guy.

That pic of you and Aaron shatters a lot of excuses the rest of us give for not hitting our targets.

Very interesting. How would you compare the 28 Nosler vs the 33 for your ELR handguns?

Very interesting. How would you compare the 28 Nosler vs the 33 for your ELR handguns?
The 33 Nosler is definitely a better handgun choice in ELR running 255 Badlands solids than the 28 Nosler running 180gn Bergers. The 33 will shoot on par with the 338 Lapua rifle using 300gn Bergers. The 28 was a great caliber and I was able to get impacts at 2000 but it just can’t carry the mail as well as the 33 at extended ranges.

@7fingers when you walk up and two guys are having a heartfelt discussion about proper cheek weld and how you gotta not move off the rifle stock between shots or you may miss that 500yd 20MOA steel gong...do you snicker....laugh manically...or just lower your hat and walk on? I recently over heard a discussion like that. I bet your philosophy on length of pull would ruffle some feathers as well ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 7fingers
@7fingers when you walk up and two guys are having a heartfelt discussion about proper cheek weld and how you gotta not move off the rifle stock between shots or you may miss that 500yd 20MOA steel gong...do you snicker....laugh manically...or just lower your hat and walk on? I recently over heard a discussion like that. I bet your philosophy on length of pull would ruffle some feathers as well ;)
I once had a buddy ask me what he needed to do to shoot better, my reply to him was cut 15”s off of his barrel, get rid of all the shit hanging off the back of the pistol grip and use less fingers! We both had a good chuckle then he called me an asshole!🤣🤣🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: gpkon66 and b2lee
Proves that there are options beyond what we typically consider....
Very nice!!!!

Impressive!
I love that you won with a pistol, that’s awesome. Way to keep at it and feed em some crow’. Nice Shooting

Reactions: 7fingers