• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Shot Planning Safety

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
I am rather excited to have found a location to make a 1300 and change yard shot in western central Virginia using 308s and 7mm 08s. My question pertains to how much space behind the target is required to be considered "Safe". Behind the planned target zone, through a grove of trees, and on the back side of a hill there is a house, which I ranged via google earth at 1900 yards. The house is not in line of sight from the impact area, but is partially visible from the shooting position. Is that enough of a margin to be considered safe, or should I waive off for fear of an errant or ricocheting round hitting the house? Thanks for your thoughts.

I probably wouldn't go for that setup given the info in your post. With an oversized backstop, a relationship with the owner, very dense forest, etc., maybe it could work. Got a photo?.

I would not even consider it. You better be miles away from anything. That grove of trees could have someone walking through it especially if a house is nearby. Problem with longer range is bullet flight time. 2000 yards 4-5 second flight.
Take your shot wait 5 seconds ... a lot can happen in that time. Kids on bicycles ... livestock ... motorcycles.

You need a wide open range or a mountain backstop with nothing around

+This+ Unless you are 100% sure of where your shot is going/what it is going to impact, don't do it. You are 100% responsible for what you send downrange. If there's an accident (and Murphys Law usually prevails in this) your life is essentially over to say nothing of whatever injury or worse you might inflict on someone else. Find another spot.