• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR with 308 equipment help

etiennepretor

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2021
South Africa
Hi,
Question:
1)what is the max I can pish the limits with what I have,
2) what do I need to change to get up to 1mile?

Equipment:
Sauer 100 fieldshoot. 308
Twist 1/11 (24") bull barrel,
0 MOA scope rail,
Linx LX3 2.5 x 15 x 50 Tacktical scope
Scope mounted 5.2cm high
178gr Hornady ELD-X bullets
Vihtavouri N540 (41.5gr)
Case = 50.95mm
COL = 71mm
Speed @ 5m = 2540f/s

Results:
Zero @ 100m
6 clicks @ 200m
17 Clucks @ 300m
25 clicks @ 400m
37 Clucks @ 500m
64 Clicks @ 700m
85 Clicls @ 900m
All hitting the target
@ 1200m , I have to dile to 100 clicks - no more left and shoot on 3 mildots in rectical @ 15 magnification. (Hitting the target)

So , Am I at max, can the 308 shoot further?
What do I need to change if the 308 is a 1mile gun?

Please help - no I am not change my rifle - need open and honest opinions please.

Skip to 1:40 for hit, and 4:40 for load data.

He claimed to have used 168Amax @ 2800fps. Better bullets are available to do this. Hornady ELDM or Berger 185 juggernaut. 2650fps would be ideal. Try RL-17. It gets my 200.20X in a 30" barrel @2650fps as a STD load and 2700+fps if I only want to use the brass one time.

Last edited:
To do it reliably you need to replace everything

For a “lucky” or “once in a while hit” sling away

308 data
IMG_4916.jpeg

It's possible. You need to run your ballistics in a calculator and figure out how much elevation correction you need and then what you are going to do to get there. I ran some quick numbers and depending on enviros gonna need around 100 MOA for a mile.

If you have a scope that has over 100 MOA internal get a rail that is a bit less than half the internal adjustment and this will still allow you to zero at 100 yards and use all the internal elevation.

If not you've got some decisions to make, new scope and rail? ERA-TAC adjustable scope mount? Charlie or NF prism?

I'd recommend going for a scope with 120 MOA and a 55 ish MOA base, that being said I wouldn't start with a 308 either. Any of the other options are stuff to add when you are stretching it farther.

Hi,
Question:

Equipment:
0 MOA scope rail,
Scope mounted 5.2cm high
Vihtavouri N540 (41.5gr)

Case = 50.95mm
COL = 71mm
Speed @ 5m = 2540f/s

You can probably push father but things get dicey when you go trans-sonic.

If you don't change anything, probably gonna hit a barrier soon. Things you can do to push the 308 (bolded and underlined above).
Get at least a 20MOA Rail. For "ELR" you may want 30 or 40. Cheapest Fix of all with your gear.

Your twist may run out as you go to longer and longer bullets. Probably okay (and more expensive to change).

Bullets: Bigger/Better BC. 185, 190 some FTR even do 200 grain bullets. There is only so much energy in that 308 case, so your bullet will start off slower, but a higher BC bullet is what you seek.

***WARNING WARNING WARNING****
This advice may get you blowed up.
You need to find as much speed as you safely can. That bullet is moving kinda slow (relatively). Your load seems a little on the slower side. Of course, you are at the edge of pressure as you put big long bullets in that 308 case. Reload carefully and work up slow. You want the biggest (highest BC) bullet you can safely shoot probably around 2600 fps in an accurate node. 2000-MR seems to get more speed but not known for its accuracy.

Normally I advise DON'T CHASE SPEED. But the key here is to keep the bullet supersonic as LONG as possible. For 308 that is between the mythical 800 and 1100 yards depending on conditions and load.
******END WARNING********

Varget/N140/N150 are powders of choice and THEY ARE RUNNING OVER MAX PRESSURE.
With that you can push beyond 1000 to a mile, but your hits will become less and less frequent. Trans-sonic is real.

Get velocity and accuracy at 1000 and see what you have left to play with. Sound Barrier isn't a literal wall, but thats where bullets go wonky and accuracy REALLY starts to degrade.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Don’t forget that he has a 24” 1:11 twist barrel. He may have trouble with the heavier bullets.

In general though, his current setup is not conducive to 1 mile shooting.

Don’t forget that he has a 24” 1:11 twist barrel. He may have trouble with the heavier bullets.
Oh yeah, there is that.
In general though, his current setup is not conducive to 1 mile shooting.
Who woulda thunk?! :ROFLMAO:

Bro said he wanted to drag race a lawnmower. Says he ain't changing. "So, ok buddy, lets get some seafoam in her, and see if tractor supply got some lawn tractor slicks!"

• Haha
Reactions: RRW and Maggot
Hi,
Question:

Equipment:
0 MOA scope rail,
Scope mounted 5.2cm high
Vihtavouri N540 (41.5gr)
Case = 50.95mm
COL = 71mm
Speed @ 5m = 2540f/s

Results:
Zero @ 100m
6 clicks @ 200m
17 Clucks @ 300m
25 clicks @ 400m
37 Clucks @ 500m
64 Clicks @ 700m
85 Clicls @ 900m
All hitting the target
@ 1200m , I have to dile to 100 clicks - no more left and shoot on 3 mildots in rectical @ 15 magnification. (Hitting the target)

So , Am I at max, can the 308 shoot further?
What do I need to change if the 308 is a 1mile gun?

Please help - no I am not change my rifle - need open and honest opinions please.
Your scope only has 60 MOA of adjustment available. That's 30 up and 30 down from center. There is typically a bit more available,
but you end up at the edges of the glass, which induces error. You're running a 0 cant rail, which isn't going to help.
A .308 at sea level requires a bit over 30 minutes of adjustment just to reach 1000.
A 30 minute rail will help you reach just over 1000.
Running the 155 eldx or 169 SMK as fast as you can, will get you a surprising distance.
If you want to get to 1500 plus yards with your current rifle, you'll need, at the least, a scope with MUCH more adjustment.
Think 30 plus mils of adjustment (just over 100 moa)

Reactions: Taylorbok and lash
Just for reference my 260 running a 142 SMK required 84 moa to reach 1,792 yards. That’s like 130 ft of drop. Fired in a straight line that would drop the equivalent of about two semis tractor/trailers on end

My 260 with a 20 moa base and Sightron SIII 8-32 was maxed out holding a tree line above the target. I can’t imagine what a 308 would look like in any flavor

Thanks for all the commentary and advice - The way I see it, I have to get a rifle incl equipment for the right task.
MY current setup is maxed out and at it limit as it is.
Need a new rifle then...hahah:unsure: