• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Emergency Cleaning Rod

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    In dealing with dirty suppressed AR-15’s, I have been the victim of brass stuck in chamber more than I ever anticipated.

I would like to get some suggestions on a collapsible cleaning rod system that I can keep in my kit for times such as these. I have a fancy cleaning rod for my precision rifles, but it isn’t doing me much good in the garage.

we carry one extra cleaning rod in the car when we go shooting as well as a wooden Dow and an anodized aluminum rod just for stuck cases and a dead blow hammer . happily I have only needed to use it 2 times but it's come in handy many times for others shit happens the rods are all able to fit in a 22lr . good luck with your choices and may you never need it your self but it is truly better to have and not need than to need and not have .

Swing by Walmart or sportsman's or wherever and grab one of the brass screw together rods, that's what I've got and it works great for what you're describing. The sections are like 10 inches so they don't take up much space.

Reactions: thegrayham
    In dealing with dirty suppressed AR-15’s, I have been the victim of brass stuck in chamber more than I ever anticipated.

I would like to get some suggestions on a collapsible cleaning rod system that I can keep in my kit for times such as these. I have a fancy cleaning rod for my precision rifles, but it isn’t doing me much good in the garage.
    Borka sells one that breaks down into a tiny little plastic box.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
    ECR does seem to fit the bill nicely. Borka is one to be trusted.

Last edited:
    I have been the victim of brass stuck in chamber more than I ever anticipated.
    I wouldn't expect this to be common, should be uncommon.

What type of ammo are you using and how many rounds are we talking?

None of mine have had a stuck round.

Rapid rod.
    It's aluminum for weight savings.
    The design is really good for back country and packability.

20210731_082316.jpg

20210731_082221.jpg

Reactions: Terry Cross
    I wouldn't expect this to be common, should be uncommon.
    None of mine have had a stuck round.
    It’s not a common occurrence, but if you’re out there in the wild enough, it will happen. Dirty suppressed brass hanging up in dirty chambers, bullets stuck in bore, trip and fill bore with mud, etc. Possibilities are endless if you are using your gun like a tool.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
    Rapid Rod (see above) if you want small, light or look at Sain Defense if you want nuclear blast proof that is tougher than most one piece rods.

./

I have a few of the SAIN Defense rods for 30 cal only in this fundraiser. Complete with a really nice TAB gear pouch in FDE or Multicam

Another vote for the borka MCR. Lives in my bag and has saved more than one trip for myself and others.

I have use Rapid Rod as a skeet shooter for a very long time to get reloaded hulls out but they are absolutely not in there tight like I suspect a metallic case would be.

I’m not at all sure it would be strong enough.

Basically it boils down to $20 Rapid Rod and gamble it not holding up if you have to get rough with it. Or spend $30ish more and get the Borka kit that everyone knows won’t let you down. I think I’ll go with Borka.

Reactions: Baron23
    Based on the advice of @Terry Cross I would trust the Rapid Rod.

The man has forgotten more about shooting than I will ever know.

@Mike Casselton may know a thing or two as well….. 😉

Though I always enjoy my Borka products.
    Top notch goods from a man proud to be making stuff in the USA.

Another vote for rapid rod. I've helped a couple shooters at matches with stuck cases, so far so good.