• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Emergeny fund or SHTF bag

breatheandsqueeze

Fast, Cheap, and Easy
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
NM
How much cash would be appropiate to have on hand for an emergency fund?
House, cars are all paid for and no debt.
What about your SHTF go bag cash?
Just that

ill bite,

..in cash laying around for anything more than a blackout for a few days, more than you want to leave hanging around

of course, the regular hypothetical questions apply;

how many people

do you have food stores

do you have enough med if your on any?

if you are you cant spend that much time away from civilization/health care..no use having 100k in cash if you need an infusion to stay alive

its fun to have a go bag and play around with it, but if you need one its too late

you work on one side of town with the go bag in your car and 1000 rounds of ammo, but the kids go to 2 different schools in different parts of town.. the go bag is useless

if its a hurricane you leave town a day early and get a hotel room, then come back and clean up the mess

if it's the apocalypse its not going to matter anyway

if its a riot and the town is burning, possibly a few bucks if they are blocking the streets but you should have left already

being aware of whats going on is the best go bag

Cigarettes, Coffee, Beans, Beans and Batteries will be the new currency.

Reactions: 232593
We “bugged out” if you will, in the wake of Harvey. Lots of flooded roads, and we were one of the last cars down 36 before it was closed. Cash may be worthless in an apocalypse, but so is your check card if the power at the store is out. (On that note, your gasoline powered electric generator is only as good as you gasoline supply. If the electricity is out at the gas station, no gas for you. But I digress.) We keep enough cash to get from an affected area to an unaffected area. I’d say more than $100, but less than $1000…

Reactions: BurtG
End of the world cash is worthless

Use it now to buy more ammo
Lol there is a big space between emergency bag and nuclear apocalypse there brother. Never hurts to have some cash laying around for everything up to "the world is ending"

Lol there is a big space between emergency bag and nuclear apocalypse there brother. Never hurts to have some cash laying around for everything up to "the world is ending"
That was sarcasm there

In reality $1000

But more importantly is to have your extra ammo, fuel, first aid/meds and food stored ahead of time. Unless you want to wait in line at a store or gas station with your wad of $$ in hand and watch the supply run out before you get a chance to purchase

Two years ago very wealthy people wiped their ass with sock’s because no amount of money could buy toilet paper off the empty shelf. Again sarcasm but relative

Reactions: jb0311
Even if i had 100k sitting around, i sure as hell wouldn't be advertising it on the net or any where else.
Not even God.and if he asked i would tell him ,noyfb.
As far as a go bag,no place to go on this fucking island,not to mention the old (quote) run for the hills,plenty of those around here,and then what,you'll have to deal with all the other assholes trying to take what you have ...and i won't be taking prisoners.
And the beans will give me to much fucking gas.

Gotcha, i read it as literal. I agree I wouldn't just have a sack full of cash and nothing else. I also view my personal "SHTF" (I hate that term) is a situation where i need to get mobile fast. Hard to pack a lot of food and fuel in a go-bag type situation but a couple jerry cans fuel and a case of dinty moore is definitely good to have on hand and easy to throw in the truck.

IMO the only reason I have cash on hand is to cover any sort of 'electronic transaction processing' failure that may occur

Family of 4, I have cash to cover regular spend for 30 days.

I figure in the worst sort of transaction processing failure (think some sort of power grid failure, EMP, or computer hack of all major credit card processing) that if electronic transactions were not fixed in less than 30 days (really less than 7 days), I would need ammo more than money.

If you are talking money being worthless, then yes, ammo and food and other hard goods (tools, wood, etc) will become currency

I can tell you for a fact that in the last snow storm that happened last year, the ATM machines near me were all out of cash, that was just a stupid snow storm that knocked some power out.

As a general rule, I always carry some cash, been to too many places in my life where electronic transactions were 'temporarily down"

Gotcha, i read it as literal. I agree I wouldn't just have a sack full of cash and nothing else. I also view my personal "SHTF" (I hate that term) is a situation where i need to get mobile fast. Hard to pack a lot of food and fuel in a go-bag type situation but a couple jerry cans fuel and a case of dinty moore is definitely good to have on hand and easy to throw in the truck.
I guess it depends on what your preparation is for. Those down south prep for hurricanes. Which is pretty predictable by now who it will effect and how long you’ll be displaced. But realistically you need money and food to get far enough north that supply is normal and just camp there

For us in the north it could be a heavy snow or ice storm. But even then people have food from gardens and what not for the winter. And if I need meat I’ll slide the window open and make it happen. No fridge/freezer needed to store. Heat would be the main issue

Now if someone starts playing with nukes then that “go bag” would probably look significantly different

And just fyi most stores now days won’t sell anything with their computers and registers down. They’ll just close. So you’ll be stealing the stuff anyways in the event of a major storm or power failure

I guess it depends on what your preparation is for. Those down south prep for hurricanes. Which is pretty predictable by now who it will effect and how long you’ll be displaced. But realistically you need money and food to get far enough north that supply is normal and just camp there

For us in the north it could be a heavy snow or ice storm. But even then people have food from gardens and what not for the winter. And if I need meat I’ll slide the window open and make it happen. No fridge/freezer needed to store. Heat would be the main issue

Now if someone starts playing with nukes then that “go bag” would probably look significantly different

And just fyi most stores now days won’t sell anything with their computers and registers down. They’ll just close. So you’ll be stealing the stuff anyways
Yeah i was in West Central MN for a while. Once a blizzard with 40mph winds comes in, you're not going anywhere for a while. Luckily we rarely lost power. Not many trees to fall on the line. Fuel, food, and water was the key.

That's not the ground shes standing on either, theres a good 2' of snow and ice under her next to that drift. Don't miss that weather at all.

1675713734112.png

And just fyi most stores now days won’t sell anything with their computers and registers down. They’ll just close. So you’ll be stealing the stuff anyways in the event of a major storm or power failure

This isn't true around my parts. While I wouldn't say it's happens all the time, but it's definitely pretty common to have the local rural store to have a sign that indicates the credit card machines are not working.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Yeah i was in West Central MN for a while. Once a blizzard with 40mph winds comes in, you're not going anywhere for a while. Luckily we rarely lost power. Not many trees to fall on the line. Fuel, food, and water was the key.

View attachment 8068522
I’m in the UP of Michigan. Our department spent 3 days rescuing people with a tracked side by side in 2019 when 27” of snow dropped in 24 hours. Some people unfortunately needed medical services that never arrived because they couldn’t get out, medical couldn’t get to them and mainly they couldn’t contact anyone as there wasn’t cell service and land lines few and far between here. So for those people a way to contact someone and a plow truck would be some go bag items. It was sad how it effected some people. Elderly mostly

I’m in the UP of Michigan. Our department spent 3 days rescuing people with a tracked side by side in 2019 when 27” of snow dropped in 24 hours. Some people unfortunately needed medical services that never arrived because they couldn’t get out, medical couldn’t get to them and mainly they couldn’t contact anyone as there wasn’t cell service and land lines few and far between here. So for those people a way to contact someone and a plow truck would be some go bag items. It was sad how it effected some people. Elderly mostly
yeah it's hard on the older people. Power goes out for even a little bit and it can get ugly for them quick. CO2 poisoning is unfortunately common trying to stay warm. A lot of remote old farm houses where i was too, down gravel minimum maintenance roads that don't get plowed till the farmers get to them.

Reactions: BurtG and hafejd30
This isn't true around my parts. While I wouldn't say it's happens all the time, but it's definitely pretty common to have the local rural store to have a sign that indicates the credit card machines are not working.
Credit card machines down is one thing. Power cut off to gas stations can be another. Also food supplies relying on fridge and freezer temps to maintain without power can be effected to. Think there just a news article from Texas regarding hundreds of people fighting over a dumpster of food that was thrown out due to power failure

How much cash would be appropiate to have on hand for an emergency fund?
House, cars are all paid for and no debt.
What about your SHTF go bag cash?
Just that

As alluded to above, do you have everything else squared away?

Emergencies come up all the time without any big end of the word event.
$100 or a couple hundred in your pocket can take care of quite a few unexpected surprises and might be a good plan always.

A hundred or a couple hundred in your vehicle can be a good thing if you are traveling outside your close area, just in case something goes down and you need a new tire, or a tow or something and credit cards isn't an option at that moment.

If you have an emergency grab bag, a hundred or several hundred dollars in it is not a bad thing, perhaps also with a credit card in there as well.

In your house(s) a thousand or several thousand will help cover the basics if something goes down.

Some folks might remember clearly not long ago when the Canadian government decided hey let's just hit the off switch on everybody's account that is protesting our policies or like sold some some food or something. That's not something that can't happen here.
Not to mention our government types love to try to shut off your bank account to pressure you into pleading guilty to something you didn't do (just like when Amazon hired the FBI to be their personal thugs to try to shake down folks for money who had done nothing wrong, while refusing to tell them what they were supposedly being charged with).

That being said, your cash is in just as much danger from bandits with badges as it is from actual criminals (perhaps more since you can shoot the criminals).
So I'd seriously suggest you pull the money out of the bank and make sure to keep the withdrawal slips with the cash as well as backup copies of them elsewhere. That way when the greedy jack booted thugs happen to get their hands on your money (which happens a fair bit), you at least have some hope of eventually fighting it out in the courts long enough to get it back.

The worst part isn’t how to pay for items it’s the mad rush of people running for gas, food and ass wipe when the alarms start sounding. The items just aren’t there

Think there just a news article from Texas regarding hundreds of people fighting over a dumpster of food that was thrown out due to power failure

Have you seen the price of meat and eggs recently?

Some store is tossing thousands of dollars of meat and eggs, that just might get some folks attention in a hurry, why let it go to waste?

In decades past, I did some good eating off what places tossed in their trash.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
The worst part isn’t how to pay for items it’s the mad rush of people running for gas, food and ass wipe when the alarms start sounding. The items just aren’t there
Yeah true. I mean hell, stores get cleaned out in advanced if the weatherman even just predicts a bad storm. Here in coastal NC, that means a 30% chance of 1/2" of snow...

Reactions: BurtG and Maggot
Have you seen the price of meat and eggs recently?

Some store is tossing thousands of dollars of meat and eggs, that just might get some folks attention in a hurry, why let it go to waste?

In decades past, I did some good eating off what places tossed in their trash.
I’m thinking of trading 6 egg laying chickens for a LMT MWS topped with a ZCO 4-20. For my go bag 😎

I’m not saying what they tossed can’t be eaten. But even a couple people, let alone hundreds, fighting for it can get ugly. That’s why the extra ammo is on top of the go bag

I’m thinking of trading 6 egg laying chickens for a LMT MWS topped with a ZCO 4-20. For my go bag 😎

I’m not saying what they tossed can’t be eaten. But even a couple people, let alone hundreds, fighting for it can get ugly. That’s why the extra ammo is on top of the go bag

Better to already have your own food supply with plenty stashed away for any emergency, rather than trying to shoot your way into a volatile situation to fight for resources with others.

Much like "Black Friday" sales at Walmart. Is there anything you really need a discount on badly enough to risk getting trampled over?

Better to already have your own food supply with plenty stashed away for any emergency, rather than trying to shoot your way into a volatile situation to fight for resources with others.

Much like "Black Friday" sales at Walmart. Is there anything you really need a discount on badly enough to risk getting trampled over?
I plan to sit back and roll hard boiled eggs into rush hour traffic for entertainment if you want in?

• Haha
Reactions: Im2bent
For funds, $1000 should be good because after the first three days it won't be worth the paper it's printed on. People will care more about food than money. Your best bet is to have a place that you already have in a safe area with like minded neighbors. Bugging out if you don't have a safe place to go will end badly.

One boat is full of non ethanol gas. The other is full of diesel. So roughly 100gal of each. Honda eu3000i burns about 3 gal per day.

The two closest gas stations, 7miles and 20miles away, have emergency generators for pumping gas. No idea if more do as I've never needed gas with the power out.

This is rural America. No idea how it works in the civilization.

All you have to bring with you is your ass, you can sell that.

One year's worth of cash in the bank and one month's worth of cash on hand makes sense to me.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
A self darkening welding helmet.

That way you can watch as the world burns and not be blind.
Won't matter much in the long run, but at least you'll get to see the second nuke pop.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Long before we are hit by an EMP delivered by a balloon, or the dollar goes to zero, all banks and credit processors shut down you may be ASKED to leave your home for days or weeks because of a flood, forest fire, train fire, earthquake, etc.
Have enough to make it to a civilized area and stay until you are allowed to venture back to look at your uninhabitable home.
Maybe find a new job while you live off your Dinty Moor.
Aren't we fast approaching the period of the upper Mississippi floods?

If I'm on your ignore list, ignore this post :)

Last edited:
One of the handiest things I carry with me is an extra wallet with some cash and change. Having a thousand bucks in mixed billed and a few dollars in quarters is handy as hell when everyone's computer goes down. I live in the middle of nowhere, when the computers die at the local stores it is cash only. You would be surprised how many people do not have 40 dollars in cash and cannot buy milk, bread and eggs.

That's not the ground shes standing on either, theres a good 2' of snow and ice under her next to that drift. Don't miss that weather at all.

View attachment 8068522
Snow. Its a four letter word like, Fuck, shit, piss, cunt.

Need I say more.

I reckon ya'll missed the thread on cannabis.

Drugs, lots of drugs.

Desperate people will want to ease their pain of no food/water/ toilet paper. etc.

Where are you going to go? Do you think that you are the only one that thinks they are going to get out of the city and invade the suburbs and then the rural areas? So if you make it that far, then what? Do you think that people in the rural areas are going to welcome you with open arms like long lost family? Are you going to the hills with the rest of the city folk to live off of the land?
Good luck with that.
You're better off staying put and you better be prepared to be very based.

When the trucks stop
When the services 'gas water electricity' stop
A city is nothing but a desert

Cash is nice and all, but the problem is the cash is devaluing all the time. Have a couple thousand in cash at most, but excess cash I would put into bullion. Silver and/or gold. It can always be converted back into cash anytime, and the nice thing is that as the dollar shits the bed, the value of the metals will adjust for the most part. It's not a perfect science, but it sure beats putting $10K in cash in the safe, and in 5 years you can buy half as much stuff with that $10K than you could 5 years ago.

I do wonder if they fed will push to have metals banned like they did in 1934, have folks trade their silver and gold in for whatever made up bullshit they're going to shove down our throats. Either way, they're gonna fuck us all real good, and a whole bunch of us are going to take it.

I have a rule with my wife, and my daughters. When you travel out of town, take enough cash to where you have enough to buy fuel to get home in case you lose your card, or it stops working, or whatever ready, you have enough cash to get home to deal with the problem. A friend of mine was several thousand miles from home and his card number was stolen. The bank shut off the card right away. He didn't have a backup funding source because he only used that debit card. He had no other way to get funds and had to get his parents to wire him money to get home. Always have a plan to get back home.

Branden

Usually kept enough cash for couple nights in a hotel and a couple tanks of gas. $400-$500. Unfortunately I lost all my cash in a boating accident.
That is not a bad plan. $200 in gas. $800 for motel. That is $1000. The problem now is the banks are closed. The ATMs are out. And you have at least 10 days ahead. So the guys who think $1000 is plenty might want to reconsider.

Reactions: BurtG and NH4X
If you are not prepared to sleep in your car you are probably not in the right mindset to deal with things.
That is not a bad plan. $200 in gas. $800 for motel. That is $1000. The problem now is the banks are closed. The ATMs are out. And you have at least 10 days ahead. So the guys who think $1000 is plenty might want to reconsider.

Few people pointed out having ~$1000 in various bills and coins. Seperate pockets on a bugout bag. Maybe $200 per stash. (In various notes / coins)

You honestly want "tradable" items. Fuel is one, rechargable batteries and a solar panel are weirdly useful (charging GPS, radios, NODs, etc). Non perishable food stuffs should be an absolute last resort to trade. You need food and water yourself. Oh, purification bottles, life straws, tablets, etc.. they would trade well, and not take up much space.

Put all your available money in a bag and when the shtf....let me know how your cash will spend when it's worthless.....buy shit now that you need.

Doc