• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Emerson Karambit

LeviBerg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Well I have a feeling I might be opening a can of worms here, but what do you guys think of the Emerson folding karambit if you've handled one, or if you want to give me an opinion either way. I've been jonesin for one lately, and just missed pulling the trigger on one from the last shipment they had out.

Discuss...

Re: Emerson Karambit

I have a few Karambit knives. Hard to say until you try one.
For EDC I'm not much of a fan.
The Karambits are a lot of fun to play with.

You definitely have to buy into the Karambit fighting style and practice it a bunch. The idea of trapping and pulling a guy closer reeks of trouble for those less than thoroughly trained (me included)...You could end up with a huge, upset, and bleeding MMA guy on top of you.

My preference in fighting knives are more along the Spyderco YoJimbo2, P'Kal, or (in a fixed blade) the StreetBeat.
The P'Kal is the quickest deploying folder I own.

Others will (rightfully) disagree here, but I would rather hit and run or cut extended limbs if I ever have to use a knife....My idea being that I would rather the attacker stop and disengage than entangle myself in mortal combat.

If I were deploying to Afghanistan (and had the size/weight capacity to pack it) I would have something like a Cold Steel OSS double edge. I'd rather be shot with a pistol that take an angry swipe in the ribs from one of those.

Peace

I love mine! I use it as a back up weapon to my duty pistol. I have it set up on my left side so if someone goes for my weapon in my holster I can trap thier hand on it with my right hand and use my left to engage the Emerson. I have it set up so its one sweeping motion up and to the Juggular.

As Xfan said though, if your going to use it as a primary defense weapon other then a gun you best be well versed in the art of using it, you will be fighting in bad breath territory.

That does make sense. I'm not sure how often (if ever) it'd be used for defense since I live in a fairly rural part and know all the neighbours. Mostly I'd just like one cause they're pretty neat. I've looked at other brands, but I'm a fan of the wave, so I'm kinda set on the Emerson.

I own a few Emmersons...Ya, OK...All of them.
blush.gif

My favs to fool around with are the Super Commander (big bad ass recurved monster) and the CQC13 (big evil looking bowie).
Be advised these Emmersons generally carry big...As in somewhat uncomfortable after a long day in the pants.

Without a doubt the CQC10 gets carried 20:1 over the others. It is the first Emmy I have owned that not only carries well, but functions flawlessly in EDC tasks thanks to the deployment hole and conventional grind. Not to mention the 10 is fully competent in martial blade craft.
Plain and simple I would buy this one first.

Just noticed you live in the Kanuckistan republic of Ontario...better check your local laws re Karambits.
Just sayin'!
smile.gif

Peace

Well I was looking at that in my criminal code here, and the only the thing that I could find to question legality is the ring for your finger possibly classifying it as brass knuckles. That said, as a guy who wants to get into LE, maybe I don't want anything that could get my in trouble.

Thanks for the advice

X-Fan said it right perfectly. Karambits are specialized knives for a very specific type of knife fighting that is of debatable effectiveness. Especially when compared to other knife fighting techniques. I wouldn't get one unless you are really into them or are willing to devote at least a few hundred hours to knife training.

As they say, no one "wins" a knife fight; try to lose less than the other guy. stay safe.

ETA - IMO get a CQC-7 as an everyday blade if you like Emersons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love mine! I use it as a back up weapon to my duty pistol. I have it set up on my left side so if someone goes for my weapon in my holster I can trap thier hand on it with my right hand and use my left to engage the Emerson. I have it set up so its one sweeping motion up and to the Juggular.

As Xfan said though, if your going to use it as a primary defense weapon other then a gun you best be well versed in the art of using it, you will be fighting in bad breath territory. </div></div>

Same reason I went with the Super Karambit for my every day carry knife. If someone makes a grab for my gun, wallet, etc my off hand is bringing it to their neck as fast as possible.

That's pretty wicked looking. One of the reasons I'm interested in them is that while learning Aikido (read: beginner)it crossed my mind that a karambit would work well with it. I asked my sensei about it, and he mentioned that Aikido is similar to Arnis which happens to utilize a stick or knife quite often.

As a side note, it also seems that the karambit is the only Emerson knife that comes with a factory left hand carry option. That said, the cqc7 and 10's are starting to look really good again.

Well, I went a slightly different route and ordered a microcommander today. I didn't really want to pay msrp, but it seemed the easiest way to get the clip on the left side.

I have an Emerson LaGriffe but I have prefer the FS Hideaway
http://hideawayknife.com//new.php
In H2H retention can be the difference between winner/loser. With a "Hideaway" you damn sure won't lose it cause you lost your grip !! BTW, I have a straight for everyday box/ tape cutting and a Tiger Claw for social times.
FWIW, my idea of close range is preferably 600 yds with a 308 WIN !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviBerg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I went a slightly different route and ordered a microcommander today. I didn't really want to pay msrp, but it seemed the easiest way to get the clip on the left side. </div></div>

Congats man!
I think you will be very happy with it.

Enjoy!

Looks like you've made a decision. As for carrying in MO our statute is Missouri - Chapter 571, Weapons Offenses [excerpts]. 571.010 definitions states. (12) "Knife", any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;

Should one ever be unfortunate enough to have to defend yourself with something like a Karambit it's seemingly possible that an overzealous DA could look at the mean looking hooked piece of steal and say it's not an 'ordinary' knife, even though blade length is under 4 in. and therefore putting you in a tight spot. Some comments I've received anyway.

Well ladies, I got the micro commander on Monday, and have been carting it around to work and whatnot. It's got to be the coolest/most fun knife I've got to play with yet. It came sharp enough to shave with, and the lock was as solid as a guy could ask for.

I will say that as far as EDC goes, I wouldn't want anything bulkier. My only real complaint is the $25 fee Emerson charges to drill and tap holes for left hand carry.
knifelanyard001.jpg

The idea that a karambit requires more training to fight with than a more conventional knife is ridiculous. Knife fighting requires intensive training if you want to fight and survive.

The karambit is made for fighting and even in untrained hands is likely to be more effective than a regular knife. It is made for hand to hand fighting while maintaining retention.

like emerson blades! i like to play with the karambits but wouldn't choose it as my blade of choice for fighting...