• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Emerson liner lock failure and trip to E.R.

bohica17

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Canal Winchester Ohio
Second Emerson commander, gave first one away as a gift. Love the knife and wave feature. In a fit of rage I went to “place” it into a 3/8 sheet of osb. Didn’t stick first time (my fault). Second go of it the blade closed on my index finger and went a good way into the bone. Had to get mine 7 stitches and be embarrassed. Iv not trusted this knife since. I still carry it, want to send it in for warranty work. Did a little trolling and found out this is much more common than I thought. Anyone on here have one or a story of the liner lock failing. About to order a Spyderco Manix 2 and retire the Emerson.

Attachments

• 4A7C842B-DFF3-4812-A06E-FC12F21664B1.jpeg
    4A7C842B-DFF3-4812-A06E-FC12F21664B1.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 104
  • EF93F226-48FE-4C0E-B437-D6F390630E86.jpeg
    EF93F226-48FE-4C0E-B437-D6F390630E86.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 97
Bummer. Was it a full on just force overcame force kind if thing or was the bearing or a bolt or something loose?

I carry a sheepdog spear point daily but have talked myself out of really whacking it on somethibg so far. I'm quick to remember how much it cost and usually check a wrench or pry bar instead.

Mine has the micarta scales and I've thought about sending it in for a g10 swap a few times.

Ball bearing locks from now on.
Spyderco(preference) or benchmade for the win.

Thats why i switched.

Sucks about your finger, get well soon

Liner locks suck. See a guy in Alaska lose the top of a finger to one. I have some old benchmade liner locks that I won’t carry because of that.

Emersons, Spydercos, Benchmades, aren’t cheap but they are in relation to great knives, cheap.
Get a shark lock Demko if you want strong or other beefy framelock like a Strider or Hinderer would be better than the thin liner lock on an Emerson. Or get a fixed blade.

And get some counseling for that anger.(said in a helpful voice)

Last edited:
All knives that fold are broken. Everyone would do well to remember that. “Slip joint” knives are arguably safer than locking knives because the user is less likely to trust the folding mech. All liner/frame locks suck. Some suck more than others. I’m have one that folds with a light blow to the spine of the blade. It doesn’t get carried, but it sure is pretty.

Bummer. Was it a full on just force overcame force kind if thing or was the bearing or a bolt or something loose?

I carry a sheepdog spear point daily but have talked myself out of really whacking it on somethibg so far. I'm quick to remember how much it cost and usually check a wrench or pry bar instead.

Mine has the micarta scales and I've thought about sending it in for a g10 swap a few times.
Force overcame the liner

Story time. Sitting at work one day, about 15 years ago, I found a golf ball that had the outer layer broken. I decided cutting into it would be a great way to pass the time. Stuck the tip in (just the tip) and rocked it back and forth. About 15 seconds after one of the senior medics told me, "I'm not signing off on your worker's comp papers." WHAMMO. She folded like the proverbial lawn chair and my Kershaw blade went to the bone. Sharp as shit so it didn't hurt terribly bad. What got me was the scraping of the serrations on my bone. An ER visit and 5 stitches later, good as used.

Attachments

• 20220831_080154.jpg
    20220831_080154.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 61
Yessir, cut myself in the exact same spot as you while prying something. Haven't trusted any liner lock since and only carry fixed blades now.

Story time. Sitting at work one day, about 15 years ago, I found a golf ball that had the outer layer broken. I decided cutting into it would be a great way to pass the time. Stuck the tip in (just the tip) and rocked it back and forth. About 15 seconds after one of the senior medics told me, "I'm not signing off on your worker's comp papers." WHAMMO. She folded like the proverbial lawn chair and my Kershaw blade went to the bone. Sharp as shit so it didn't hurt terribly bad. What got me was the scraping of the serrations on my bone. An ER visit and 5 stitches later, good as used.
Yea luckily it was really sharp and cut clean. Healed nicely. By the way this happened back in march and have been replaying what happened in my head and finally Iv made the choice I’m done with it.

Attachments

• A4EF449E-FD0E-40A7-9A24-35A4FBFF03F4.jpeg
    A4EF449E-FD0E-40A7-9A24-35A4FBFF03F4.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 44
I was issued a CQC7 before the wave and when Y2K was a thing. No issues with it, but I never worked it hard. Like others, I'm almost entirely fixed blade now. There's Mora pro or pro chisel in almost every drawer in the house. It keeps them handy and keeps the wife from using my kitchen blades.