• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Enco mill now

Re: Jet mill

I have used a couple, good import mill. Seem to hold up very well, and are very accurate, if the price was right I'd buy one.

They are an import so you have lots of people who hate them but if you get a good deal on it. I have used one and it worked great for all the stuff I needed.

Thanks for all the input but that deal went up in smoke. I am trying to get a mill but here in NC there is not much around and I dont have a unlimited budget so what do you know about Enco mills? Or any ideas of what I can get and where. I was looking for a Bridgeport but everything I find will take 700-800 bucks to ship.

Thanks

look at grizzly industrial, they make some really good machines for a working mans wage. i have one of their lathes and will get a mill soon.

Check Craigslist in your state. Small shops often close up, and offer great buys on top name mills and lathes with low usage. I was surprised what was in my area.

If you don't know how to look at a used machine tool, go into a machine shop, find the most experienced guy there and offer him a bottle of his favorite scotch to visit a few of them. He'll be able to tell if the thing has been whooped on.

Buying a new machine from Grizzly isn't a bad idea, my dad has a grizzly lathe and mill, they both work very nicely.

For 7-800 bucks shipping you should be able to bribe a buddy with a pickup truck and drive to Grizzly and pick up a brand new machine and drive home with money left over for tooling. They're in PA, the gas round trip should cost about 200 bucks.

A crappy pic but good equipment. Jet mill with crank up knee and a Logan 11X36 heavy lathe (big spindle hole). The Jet I looked for a good 8 months until I found it about an hour away. The lathe took about a year and a couple months to find a nice one. There are a lot of really beat machines out there so be patient and take your time. Buying new is always an option as well.
I am a toolmaker by trade.

PICT0005.jpg

Good selection!

A couple years ago I was looking to get a full size milling machine after seeing the limitations of my small "drill mill". At work they had several Bridgeport mills, so I was looking for a good used Bridgport mill. I spent 8 monyhs looking at about a dozen used Bridgeport mills, some of them very old and sloppy, some not too old but sloppy from a decade or more of hard use and still asking $5k.

At work they also had an older Spanish (Acuna?) mill that was the most accurate (little slop) machine in the place but the oldtimers prefered the Bridgeports. As such I could usually use this machine when I need a mill. I got to like it pretty fast.

Prevoiusly I had purchased a couple Grizzly woodworking machines and read a few reviews of their milling machines. It seemed to be a great value and so I ordered the G9901. I runs on single phase power, is nice and tight and has a warrantee. It was just under $4000 delivered to my home (in early 2008). I added DRO a few months later and am happy with the machine.

I bought the smaller Grizzly gunsmiths lathe G4003G late last year, but have yet to chamber a barrel with it. I have done a few small projects with the lathe, but persnally I'm more a mill kind of guy. Hopefully I can retire in a few years and get comfortable with the lathe as well. At any rate I will have some serious tools right at home.