• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Encore Pistol - 300 AAC Blk or 308 subs

WB300

Cranky Yankee
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
GA
Been playing with the TC Encore Pistol and want to put my TBAC 30BA on a 30 caliber pistol for strictly subsonic stuff. Looks like I've narrowed the choice down to a pistol barrel made by MGM (Match Grade Machine Works) in 300 AAC BLK (8 twist), or go with a .308 Win (10 twist) pistol barrel and load my own subs. Barrel will be 15", and threaded for the brake. Keeping in mind chamber pressures, internal ballistics, external ballistics, and terminal ballistics... What would you choose and why?

I seem to be leaning toward the .308 Win due to the fact that I can also load hunting rounds and extend my range without the suppressor more so than the 300 Blk.

Leaving all other factors aside (yes I reload) let me hear your thought process on which you would choose and why. Which would allow better terminal ballistics on game?

I just found out that GA House and Senate passed a bill allowing hunting with suppressors. The bill awaits the Gov's John Hancock, which he is expected to sign. Primary use will be for quiet hunting of critters (hogs and deer).

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Last edited:
I have a similar project in the works… Just have not finished it. Match grade machine seems to be the way to go.

I am looking for a similar setup, but I prefer the rimmed cases in break action rifles. The 307/308 winchester is worth a look. It can fire rimmed 307 win cases and standard 308 win cases as well.

As to the blackout consider a 300 blackout improved with a rim. You could fire/ fire form standard ammo AND use 357 max brass to make a rimmed version with a sharper shoulder. The only rub there is that 357 max brass is impossible to find lately.

One other option I have looked hard at is the 357 mag case necked to 30cal. 30 paxton I think it is. Easy cheap rimmed 300 blackout, with just a little less case capacity.

Check out Bellmtcs.com for all the information you could possibly want on the subject.

If your only ever going to be shooting subs, I'd recommend the 300Blk.
I've seen many deer harvested with light supers, but due to limited case capacity it's some what limited in range.
If you'd like to shoot supers as well, why not look at a .308 with a fast twist 1/8".
Sub sonic, .308 with 1/10" will likely not stabilize heavier jacketed bullets over 200gn.
There's also the possibility of 7.62x39 in 1/8".

I've got a few MGM barrels and I do like them. They are more flexible than Bullberry as to fast twist barrel options tho I give a slight nod to Bullberry in quality. Fred would not make me a 1/8" 7.62x25 barrel. He may have changed his tune now, but it's unlikely.

Last edited:
Waka,

Bullberry only has the 221-300. I got the feeling from reading their thoughts on the 300 Blk/Whisper, that they were not a fan of either. I want to keep things as common as possible. No weird off the wall chamberings.

MGM said they could do a .308 in any twist I want. I said 1-10 because it should stabilize up to the 208 Amax which is the heaviest bullet I have. I figured that the 170 or 180 grain round nose would be a good hammer. I would also be able to load some good supers as well. I'm afraid that if I go too fast of a twist, I won't be able to shoot normal .308 loads unsuppressed. I guess in reality, 200 yards with a pistol is a pretty good poke and both rounds supersonic should be capable. More to think about. Thanks.

More thoughts please.

Bill

I've got a Contender barrel in 300 Whisper. It has a 1/10" twist. The heaviest jacketed bullet I've shot thru is was 190gr.
They were stable at subsonic velocities.

190gr HPBT
2.24" OAL
AA#9, 8.5gr
Rem 7 1/2
1030 fps

Never got an opportunity to try any of the 208gn Amaxs.

The .308 would certainly be more flexible.
Loading for subs might be a little more effort but I'm sure good data is out there.
Trail Boss is always an option if it's available.

I have a 16" encore with a 1/8 twist MGM barrel. I shoot subs and full power loads out of it. I would stick with the 308 platform and use trail boss for subs. Mine in extremely quiet with my AAC cyclone and a very compact rifle.

Cruizer, I have trailboss and plenty of supplies for loading .30 cal stuff which is why I was leaning toward .308 win.

waka, that is a bad looking stick.

I just recently had a BAD experience with a well known and respected comapany's 300 Whisper barrel in 15" with a 1-7 twist. Ka-boom! (with factory subsonic 300 Whisper ammo). I'll withhold names and details until things are over, but the reason for this thread is because I'm already doing research for a replacement.

I have a love affair with single shot toys. Encores and XP-100s turn me on. Shilen helped me out with this XP-100, 14in barrel plus the TBAC 30PSS.

And although not a pistol, this is an 16in MGM barrel .300-221 Encore with TBAC 30P-1.

Last edited:
My Twins . . . . .308 with the sling . . . .300Blk on the right . . . . both very quiet.
I been playing with about 8 grains of Trail Boss pushin a 230gr Lee Lead in the .308 . . . and luvin it. The KEY to makin the 230 lee to shoot right is filing the bases and a light lube like Alox. Gettin about 2-3" groups at 50yards with my reloadin. Someone who was REAL meticulous could probably reduce that some. When I first got the .300 blk I was at the lease filling my barrels at about 2pm and Ill be danged if this piggy didnt walk out to the feeder just as I walked back to the truck about 60 yards. A quick switch to a Remington 125gr Accutip 300black knocked him right down ...
20200921_145841.jpg

Just to update the thread...

I went 308 subsonic in a bolt rifle since I reload for 308. Loudest part of the shot comes from the trigger. The Encore had way more noise from a hammer falling, it kinda defeated the purpose of going quiet. Splitting hairs, I know.