• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Endlessly going back and forth on rifle choice

Destytute

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2023
AB
Hey guys, I haven't been able to decide on a rifle and been browsing for months. Im looking for something in the$800-1500 price bracket. I keep looking used but with the prices being close to new Im also always thinking new. What Im after is a "do it all" gun that is light enough for hunting like the Sig Cross with a Vortex LHT on it but also a gun that I can throw some sand bags on to weight down and pursue my quest for 1000yds. (I dont do competitions). Admittedly most (90%+) of the shots would be range time.

I have looked primarily at a Tikka CTR and later throwing it in a stock (or buying used) but also at, TAC A1 (too heavy), Howa Hera H7 , Bergara 14 barreled action in a chassis of sorts... The list goes on.

I really don't know what I should be looking at and I know the purists say you cant have a gun that everything well but I figure if im willing to make concessions in certain areas like barrel length, weight, price I can make something come together.

Its too bad the Sig Cross doesnt come in a 20/24" barrel (Non PRS) otherwise I'd probably just buy that.

After endless threads of searching and my head in a thousand places, anyone got any pointers of what to get and also for my needs if I should be looking 20 or 24" and light or heavy barrel. Thx

Also: prices are not a constant, and neither is the value of your dollar anywhere else you have to spend it.

Just buy the damn rifle. If the barrel length is a deal breaker, then get a different barrel... they are basically brake pads anyway. Last a long time, but are still a wear component.

That 1500 with a scope?
Sorry, without a scope. I already have giftcards for Cabelas saved up for a vortex LHT or Viper. Even there I cant decide.

I tried to do the rough conversion for american dollars as I am in Canada looking to spend lets say $1000-2000 on just the rifle (flexible)

You never mentioned what cartridge you want it in.

You obviously want the Cross, just get it.
Honestly even that is a fight. Ive gone back and forth on 308 vs 6.5 with ammo prices of 7.63x51 being much cheaper i was in the 308 camp for a long time until reading the ballistics are way better with the 6.5 creedmoor for that.

Id love a cross minus some of the problems theyre known to have but the cheap version only comes in a 18" barrel...

Sorry, without a scope. I already have giftcards for Cabelas saved up for a vortex LHT or Viper. Even there I cant decide.

I tried to do the rough conversion for american dollars as I am in Canada looking to spend lets say $1000-2000 on just the rifle (flexible)
I can help you with what you need... If they'll ship to Canada, you'll just have to call them and find out. Ask for Clay Hawkins, he's very helpful. He's the guy I always deal with.

I have 2 MPR's, both 16.5" barrels, one in .308 Win, and the other in 6mm ARC... Highly recommend them. They're light, accurate, and a very solid platform that allows you to configure some things on it the way you're describing. They both shoot 1/2-MOA 5-shot groups @ 100 yards with handloads.

IMG_8342.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 15:54:56.390625.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-21 17:59:48.110676.jpeg

Don't let the shorter barrel scare you. I had my Tikka Tac A1 6.5 Creed cut off to 18", and it still makes hits at 1000 just as easy as it did with the 24" barrel. With 41.5 gr H4350 and a 140 gr ELD Match it averages 2603 fps. 0.3 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Run away from the CAs. They're too hit or miss and CS is also hit or miss.

Tikka in 6.5 CM and throw it in a KRG Bravo when funds are available. Tikkas have incredibly smooth bolts, shoot lights out and have a ton of aftermarket support. Although the parent company, Beretta, is dog shit for customer servicee. Fortunately there's rarely a need for customer service on Tikkas.

6.5 CM is readily available in both hunting and precision loads that are actually pretty good. And only slightly more than 308 and likely can be found even cheaper when comparing apples to apples in regards to precision ammo.

Don't let the shorter barrel scare you. I had my Tikka Tac A1 6.5 Creed cut off to 18", and it still makes hits at 1000 just as easy as it did with the 24" barrel. With 41.5 gr H4350 and a 140 gr ELD Match it averages 2603 fps. 0.3 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
Ill keep that in mind. Thank you for that.

I can help you with what you need... If they'll ship to Canada, you'll just have to call them and find out. Ask for Clay Hawkins, he's very helpful. He's the guy I always deal with.

I have 2 MPR's, both 16.5" barrels, one in .308 Win, and the other in 6mm ARC... Highly recommend them. They're light, accurate, and a very solid platform that allows you to configure some things on it the way you're describing. They both shoot 1/2-MOA 5-shot groups @ 100 yards with handloads.

View attachment 8259569View attachment 8259570View attachment 8259576View attachment 8259568
These look gorgeous. Id love one but the very few companies that do import them to Canada must charge a hell of a mark up because theyre $3500 CAD.

Reactions: FuhQ
These look gorgeous. Id love one but the very few companies that do import them to Canada must charge a hell of a mark up because theyre $3500 CAD.
That sucks... Is there not any other legal way to get one up there without paying the huge markups from the Canadian distributors? Will nobody ship one directly to a Canadian FFL so you can go do your BGC and then take it home?

If you optimize for everything, you are optimized for nothing... and that may not be what you want when "90%" of your shooting is going to be done static on a flat range. That number is likely low, especially if you intend to practice. You don't get to 90% range unless you're planning to shoot something like 100 rds per year, and 10 rounds at game... and if you're a five box a year shooter, just get what you like because you're not shooting enough for shooting to be the primary purpose.

That said, it's reasonable for me to assume one of two things is true:
- Either you hunt and have a rifle for that purpose
-OR-
- Hunting is an academic requirement, something you might do in the future

In either case, I would tell you to buy a rifle suited to actually shooting versus carrying. In the former instance, you don't need another hunting gun because you have one already. In the later instance, you can build transferable skills on a rifle made for the task and either use that gun (sub optimal though it might be) or procure another IF you decide you want to hunt at some point in the future. I will say that a 10-11 lb 6.5 CM is a perfectly adequate compromise - assuming you put the weight in the barrel where it belongs.

Given that you're strapped for cash, you can certainly look at Howa in addition to Tikka and Bergara.

A friend and I both bought Sig Crosses mine was 308 his was 6.5cm. I could load a 168gr eldm to stay supersonic to 1000yds with its 16" barrel. It was a really fun rifle and shot factory FGMM 168gr ammo under 1/2". His also shot very well at 100yds, but I never had the chance to shoot it further.

Someone wanted it more then me and I sold it, but I plan on getting another soon.

I've also had good luck with multiple Christiansen Arms rifles.

No reason to buy a factory rifle anymore IMHO. Buy some legos and get exactly what you want, as recommended 1000's of times in all of these threads.

What I came to offer is re: scope - I have an LHT on my light hunter, and love it for that purpose, but if I were to have a single rifle, I would do an XTR3 or T6xi 5-30 in that price range. FOV, mag range, and most importantly, thinner reticle for precision (range fun).

$800-$1500? Hopefully that’s USD as I hear you are from up north.

At that price, jeez, Tikka blows Bergara B-14’s and Howas out of the water. Bergara Premiers are a different action, more $$$, and are smooth as glass.

RANGE FOCUS:
Super Varmint models might be a bit out of your budget, depending on your currency, but they have a better stock, are stainless under the Cerakote, are threaded, have a 0 MOA pic rail, and have a good two-stage trigger all stock. Only take regular Tikka mags, though (not CTR). You could easily mod it to take CTR mags, though.

Otherwise buy a stainless CTR, enjoy your ten-round mags and slowly upgrade it.

HUNTING FOCUS:
Buy a stainless Tikka with a sporter barrel.

If you hold a Tikka, a Howa, an Sig Cross, and a Bergara B-14 in your hand and cycle the action plus dry fire (impt!), you will probably choose the Tikka.

I’ve read about lots of Christensen issues, and for that money I’d go custom.

Quit waffling man. We are all getting closer to death every minute, so buy something and use it.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
No reason to buy a factory rifle anymore IMHO. Buy some legos and get exactly what you want, as recommended 1000's of times in all of these threads.

What I came to offer is re: scope - I have an LHT on my light hunter, and love it for that purpose, but if I were to have a single rifle, I would do an XTR3 or T6xi 5-30 in that price range. FOV, mag range, and most importantly, thinner reticle for precision (range fun).
Winner winner chicken dinner.

@Destytute If you need a rifle right away for whatever reason a Tikka is probably the best option. It’s still the best factory combo of performance for price.

But, if you can wait for a pile of parts to show up then build your own. Contrary to what you will hear, a “do anything” rifle can be assembled and parts swapped as different needs arise. All it takes is a little creative thinking

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
That sucks... Is there not any other legal way to get one up there without paying the huge markups from the Canadian distributors? Will nobody ship one directly to a Canadian FFL so you can go do your BGC and then take it home?

He can work through an importer, there's a couple in Canada that perform such services.

A lot of good options already mentioned, but I will add Bergara HMR Pro to the list. It's been a superb rifle for the money.