• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enfield No.9 .22

Sniff

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
New Zealand
This is my latest .22 rifle.

A few weeks ago the New Zealand Army sold all the ex cadet forces .22 Enfields by public auction.

It is a 1959 Parker-Hale conversion of a No.4 MkII .303. They were made for training cadets and smallbore practice for recruits etc.

They were converted by installing a .22 liner into the .303 barrel, replacing the bolt with a rimfire one and replacing the sights with ones calibrated for .22 ammo.

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0452-1.jpg

This photo shows the chamber and the inside of the magazine case. The rifles were single shot. The magazine case (no spring or follower) was kept to keep the profile of the service rifle.

IMG_0453.jpg

And of course, what every .22 needs, a bayonet! These rifles used the standard bayonets for the No.4 rifle either a blade or a wartime, "we need weapons in a hurry", spike.

IMG_0460.jpg

As well as the No.9s there was No.8 rifles. These were made from the start as a .22 built on a No.5 .303 "Jungle Carbine" action and fitted with a heavy barrel.

I got one of those as well and will post photos later.

The saddest this was that they replaced these rifles with Chinese Norinco JW-15s. A Cheap and copy of the BRNO / CZ .22.

Sniff

Re: Enfield No.9 .22

Very nice! I wonder if they can be had in the US?
Interesting piece of history.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! I wonder if they can be had in the US?
Interesting piece of history.</div></div>

I was wondering the same thing.

I actually have 3 of these in my gun safe. I live in SW PA. My dad used to work for a small import company that bought stores of surplus arms all over the world. he was able to prucure some cool oddball stuff like this in the process.

I also have a 2 that are chambered in .410 shotgun.

Dad told me that they got them in from somewhere in the middle east. At the same time they got a crate of wooden arrows that somehow got thrown in with the shipment.
He said they would cut the end out of a .410 shell and dump out the shot, chamber the shell then slide an arrow down the muzzle.

Do ya think that would be legal in archery season????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to "study" that rifle a while, I want to do the same type conversion on a Savage bolt action as a trainer </div></div>

The barrel is fitted with a liner which should be straightforward for a gunsmith, the bolt modifications would be a bit harder.

I can send you extra photos if you want. Just PM me your details.

The following site has heaps of stuff on these rifles, just seach for Enfield No.9. These even a photo of the auction where I got my rifle.

www.rifleman.org.uk

Most of what I know about mine came from this site.

Sniff

Very nice rifle, there are some here in the US. Although it's way "cooler" than the Norinco, the BRNO copies are cheaper and actually nice shooters even if a little rough on the outside.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I live in SW PA. My dad used to work for a small import company that bought stores of surplus arms all over the world. he was able to prucure some cool oddball stuff like this in the process.

I also have a 2 that are chambered in .410 shotgun. </div></div>

After hearing about the .410 Lee Enfields for years I was finally able to get one rechambered for US .410 shells.
It was said that they were originally build for British officers to use for bird hunting but I can not see any officer used to high class shotguns ever using one of them. I also heard that they were used by Indian Bank Guards, sort of a sheep in wolf's clothing since they are only single shot and the magazine well is filled with a wooden block.

The .410 chambered Enfields were used mainly in India by the Police.

There was / is no way a British officer would use one for birds - they would all have their own doubled barreled side by sides made in London or Birmingham!

Sniff

when imported, the ones I have were chambered for a 2 inch brass .410 shell. they were then reamed to accept a standard American shot shell prior to being sold.

Dad said that one of them came from the middle east and the other came in with a shipment from Somewhere in Africa

the bolt mod is just a new 22 bolt head with a cut firing pin that strikes the pin in the bolt head. The Brits made various 22 trainers. I have a No2 Mk4 trainer made from a no1 Mk III* The Enfield in the middle is the No2 Mk4. All these are trainers of cuub rifles from various countries. Left to right: Mars 115, DSM34, ES340B,KKW, No2Mk4,Wz48,H&R Reising 65, and Mossberg 44US
d0947587.jpg

Is there a conversion kit that can be bought and installed then if I want the .303 back I could just uninstall it?

Yes there was a conversion kit, both after market and original. I have one of the after market kits. It consists of a bolt with a 22lr head, liner that has a 303 looking sleeve attached and a nut that secures it to the barrel. It comes in a wooden tray. The problem with these is they don't always fit the rifle bore or length of the barrel. I've never shot mine though I plan to do that this year.
P4140071.jpg

Yes it is removable. Try gun broker, auction arms or gunshows.
I found mine on the old Culver Shooting page ads