• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Engagement Ring

rware91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Spring, Texas
hey guys,
I am looking at purchasng an engagement ring. I know what type setting she wants but can not seem to find it anywhere. I have a picture of what she wants. Just looking for some advice some do's and donts before i go get ripped off on this deal.
thanks.
Ryan

Re: Engagement Ring

I'll spare you the "don't get married jokes"...Got my wife's ring here two years ago... http://www.brilliantearth.com/.

VERY satisfied with their selection, quality, and service. Plus you get to pick the exact details and then they build your ring for you. I spent 3k and the ring appraised locally at over 5k.

My advice, don't sacrifice quality (color & clarity) for a bigger diamond. Nothing says cheap bastard like a dull, yellow diamond. Best of luck.

Thanks guys. I am lost when trying to deal with this stuff. I would like to just say go pick it out and heres a check but for some reason i dont think that will go over well.
ryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GF will be picking out her own when that time comes but...

http://www.bluenile.ca/

is where I've seen her peaking. </div></div>

That's who my brother used. It appraised for alot more than the purchase price by another post purchase Jeweler. But those "appraisals" are a little suspect.

Oh and get her sister/mom/best friend to help. That buys you a lot of cover in the event it isn't "perfect".

And yeah, I agree appraisals are a bit suspect...but for insurance purposes better to over insure than under insure.

Reactions: woogie_man

Do yourself a favor and study up on the 4 C's of diamonds - http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/fourcsofdiamonds.html

You're better off with a quality stone that may be a bit smaller than some big yellow non-sparkling diamond. You don't want all her girlfriends thinking you went big and cheap. Yes, they do notice and talk about it.

Think long and hard about what you want the ring made out of, ie. gold, white gold, platinum, titanium, etc. The prices of precious metals right now are up there. I'd think seriously about platinum if you can afford it or titanium if she'll go for that. These are much harder than a gold band and if she is like my wife she never takes the damn thing off, even when she should. Gold bands tend to wear down over time as gold is a somewhat soft metal. Sure you can get a gold band built back up down the road, but it's like all our shootin' toys - buy once, cry once.

Once you get it, take it to a local jeweler and have it appraised. Take the appraisal to your insurance agent and then insure it before you give it to her - depending on the ring's total value, an insurance rider on your homeowners insurance should run you less than $50 - 100/yr. Make sure the policy has full coverage and inflation coverage - in case it's ever just lost, the stone falls out, or is stolen.

Good luck on this gut wrenching quest and congrats!

On the other hand, if you compare Elliot Spitzer and Paul McCartney you'll find out it's cheaper to just lease the woman....... Just kiddin' ya.

No, you can't just tell her to go buy her own. You gotta understand the game - Man chases woman, until she catches him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I am lost when trying to deal with this stuff. I would like to just say go pick it out and heres a check but for some reason i dont think that will go over well.
ryan</div></div>

Times have changed. Propose, then let her pick it out (discuss budget).

2 daughters' worth of experience speakin' here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's who my brother used. It appraised for alot more than the purchase price by another post purchase Jeweler. But those "appraisals" are a little suspect. </div></div>

Appraisals are ~doubled for insurance valuations. So cut that value in half and you're in the real ball-park.

+1 on letting her pick it out (go with her).

Pull your comparisons from the net and make the local dealers match it. I'd also stay with a GIA or EGL certified stone. That way you know you're getting what you're paying for. GIA is the standard for grading, and if you can I try to stay with them when buying stones. Good luck and have fun.

I've been a jeweler, professionally, since 1998 and I'll offer the same advice I offer all of my customers.

Don't buy online. Find a local jeweler you can trust. Your local guy's prices on diamonds should be within 10-15% of what you see on the big online sites.

A certified diamond isn't a bad idea. A "cert." is just a second opinion from an independant lab. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Whatever you do don't believe anything printed on an EGL cert.</span> These certificates are so consistantly high graded that if I sell a stone with an EGL cert the cert goes in the trash and it is sold as uncertified. GIA is a trustworthy organization.

Buy a stone that is "eye clean" with no visible inclusions to the naked eye. This means SI1 and better, sometimes SI2 stones qualifiy. Also get a stone that is near colorless or better. This means I or better in color.

If you are going to spend a little extra on something, get a well cut stone. Don't rule out a Lazar ideal cut or a hearts and arrows. Cut is the most important characteristic of a diamond once you get into the eye clean/near colorless range of stones.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a treated diamond. </span> If someone is pushing a "clarity enhanced" or "Yahuda" stone run away screaming. These stones start as heavily included crap that no one will buy. The shit in the stone is burned out with a laser, then the cavities are filled with glue or glass. You will have nothing but grief with these stones.

Metals are expensive right now, consequently, many mass produced pieces are light and thin, avoid these, they will cost you money in repairs down the road. Buy heavier rings and stay away from micro-pave. Micro-pave is in style now, this is the stuff with a bunch of tiny diamonds set all over it. The stones are easily lost. If you are having the ring made and want that look, a good jeweler can set a slightly larger stone in the pave style and they will probably hold up better.

You can save money by buying a diamond that isn't a round brilliant cut. Ovals, Marquise, Pears, Emerald cuts and to a lesser extent princess cut stones are cheaper than rounds. There is no cut grade for fancy shaped stones.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been a jeweler, professionally, since 1998 and I'll offer the same advice I offer all of my customers.

Don't buy online. Find a local jeweler you can trust. Your local guy's prices on diamonds should be within 10-15% of what you see on the big online sites.

A certified diamond isn't a bad idea. A "cert." is just a second opinion from an independant lab. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Whatever you do don't believe anything printed on an EGL cert.</span> These certificates are so consistantly high graded that if I sell a stone with an EGL cert the cert goes in the trash and it is sold as uncertified. GIA is a trustworthy organization.

Buy a stone that is "eye clean" with no visible inclusions to the naked eye. This means SI1 and better, sometimes SI2 stones qualifiy. Also get a stone that is near colorless or better. This means I or better in color.

If you are going to spend a little extra on something, get a well cut stone. Don't rule out a Lazar ideal cut or a hearts and arrows. Cut is the most important characteristic of a diamond once you get into the eye clean/near colorless range of stones.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a treated diamond. </span> If someone is pushing a "clarity enhanced" or "Yahuda" stone run away screaming. These stones start as heavily included crap that no one will buy. The shit in the stone is burned out with a laser, then the cavities are filled with glue or glass. You will have nothing but grief with these stones.

Metals are expensive right now, consequently, many mass produced pieces are light and thin, avoid these, they will cost you money in repairs down the road. Buy heavier rings and stay away from micro-pave. Micro-pave is in style now, this is the stuff with a bunch of tiny diamonds set all over it. The stones are easily lost. If you are having the ring made and want that look, a good jeweler can set a slightly larger stone in the pave style and they will probably hold up better.

You can save money by buying a diamond that isn't a round brilliant cut. Ovals, Marquise, Pears, Emerald cuts and to a lesser extent princess cut stones are cheaper than rounds. There is no cut grade for fancy shaped stones.

[email protected] </div></div>

I have been in/around the jewelry business all of my life, as a GIA certified gemoligist I agree with most of the above espically about staying away from online sellers. No two diamonds are alike therefore it is impossible to buy one based on a grade, you need to see it. It is a natural gem not a man made cookie cutter product. Use the online sellers as a place to do some research but I stongly suggest you buy from someone local that you trust, if you don't trust them, go somewhere else! Plus you need a local place for sizing, general repiars, future purchases, wedding bands etc. I am a fan of GIA certs for sure, EGL sometimes are in line but more often than not, they are more laxed on their grading...GIA is best.
I would also say that I'd start with a minimum of SI1 and buy at least H color and go as colorless as you can afford, I like G-SI1 stones for a good value/quality medium. My wife wears a D-SI1 stone which I looked at over 10 different D-F color VS1-SI1 stones and picked out the best one not based entirely on grade but beauty and brilliance.
Bottom line is that these are not like buying say a certain model Nightforce scope which you know exactly what you are getting no matter where you go as long as its not a knock off, diamonds need to be bought looking at them in person side by side comparisions.

in my experience, go for clarity and good cut, even if you have to give up size. that sparkle makes the diamond look good

It has been several years but I used wink Jones. He was not local but nobody within 100 miles had any sort of selection or clue about platinum. So i made it a one stop shop. I picked out several stones, and paid for them with a credit card and he shipped them to me, I selected the one I preferred and returned them all for refund on the ones I didn't want and the chosen one to be set.

Very pleasurable experience.

Don't skimp on cut, that is what makes it sparkle.

Not a jeweler just a guy with a happy wife and like the saying goes "Happy wife, happy life. "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lima Bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been a jeweler, professionally, since 1998 and I'll offer the same advice I offer all of my customers.

[email protected] </div></div>

I have been in/around the jewelry business all of my life, as a GIA certified gemoligist I agree with most of the above espically about staying away from online sellers. No two diamonds are alike therefore it is impossible to buy one based on a grade, you need to see it. It is a natural gem not a man made cookie cutter product. Use the online sellers as a place to do some research but I stongly suggest you buy from someone local that you trust, if you don't trust them, go somewhere else! Plus you need a local place for sizing, general repiars, future purchases, wedding bands etc. I am a fan of GIA certs for sure, EGL sometimes are in line but more often than not, they are more laxed on their grading...GIA is best.
I would also say that I'd start with a minimum of SI1 and buy at least H color and go as colorless as you can afford, I like G-SI1 stones for a good value/quality medium. My wife wears a D-SI1 stone which I looked at over 10 different D-F color VS1-SI1 stones and picked out the best one not based entirely on grade but beauty and brilliance.
Bottom line is that these are not like buying say a certain model Nightforce scope which you know exactly what you are getting no matter where you go as long as its not a knock off, diamonds need to be bought looking at them in person side by side comparisions. </div></div>

What they said. I have been a jeweler my whole life and thats all spot on. No treated stones for sure fracture filled is junk. PG

I'll toss in my two cents - stick with a platinum band. I see too many women not be able to wear their gold wedding bands because of nickel allergies.

I will be the one to go against the grain. I bought my wife a nice engagement and wedding ring. Due to illness she has put on a few pounds and doesn't wear her wedding ring. She has since bought replacements that were cubic zircs. She gets way more complements on the fakes and no one knows any different but me and her. I let her buy these along with earrings whenever she wants to. This has saved a ton of money and it doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

By the way, I have a great wife.

My two cents

Eddie

would a store like say...Cartier offer good clear, nicely cut diamonds or do they also try to stuff junk diamonds in fancy rings?

I'm asking if a reputable big name brand store would only deal in fine diamonds, or can you get burnt just the same buying from them?

Some higher end chains have minimum standards for their diamonds, Tiffanies used to, don't know if they still do. The chain stores at your average mall are good places to stay away from.

One more recomendation, go to a store with an in-house bench jeweler.

Platinum is nice, but extra cost and very soft, so it will scratch up and bend much easier than any gold will. I got my wife a White gold setting and it looks great and is much more durable, and cost a little less so you can use the extra $$ for the stone.

The right women won't give a rat's ass if the ring is "perfect" or not........

Crackerjack2.jpg

Out of curiosity, what do those of you in the know, & or in the trade have to say about man made/synthetic diamonds? The gem stone, made in the mad scientist type jewelry grades that is.
Are such stones up to par with nature made diamonds for use in engagement rings & such?

I've never sold one and have no intention to. The problem is, if it is man made nothing about it is rare. Everything that gives a real diamond its value is based on rarity.

I'm sure someone will get on here and tell everyone diamonds aren't rare. That somewhere in Europe or Asia mysterious vaults are overflowing with diamonds and there is some conspiracy by DeBeers to keep these diamonds in reserve to keep prices artificially high. This is complete BS. Diamonds are rare, the higher the quality of the diamond and the bigger the stone the rarer. Great pains are taken to get diamonds out of the earth. One mining company, The Premier Mine, recovers about 3.5ct/ton of ore. Alluvial deposits in South Africa produce about .098ct/ton. And not all of this is worth faceting, some is industrial grade.

How about regular stones aren't all that rare.

Large exceptional stones are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys,
I am looking at purchasng an engagement ring. I know what type setting she wants but can not seem to find it anywhere. I have a picture of what she wants. Just looking for some advice some do's and donts before i go get ripped off on this deal.
thanks.
Ryan </div></div>

Just remember buying a wedding ring is like buying a car. The price is very negotiable. I learned this when I bought my wife's ring. I went in looking for something I could afford, but it was not much. I think I went to Reeds or Zales. Either way, they kept trying to up sale me to at least 1 carot. I was kind of being an ass about it and the lady kept going down in price up until I purchased why I could afford.

Long story short she came down on the original price on the 1 carot at least $500. I don't remember the exact number, but it was quite a bit. I know se still for a good commission even after she went down on the price. I think it was towards the end of the month when I went. I assumed her sales were down because she was so determined. Good luck and congrats!!!

I just also got engaged. I prefer www.jamesallen.com or blue nile. The james allen website is great because you can see the actual diamond your getting.

My advice. Always buy the diamond seperately from the setting. ONLINE then go take it and have it set.

Let her pick the setting, that's not the part that counts but you want something that is her taste, NOT the diamond itself.

I let my woman pick the setting and just surprised her with the diamond I selected. AFTER I got her yes I pulled out the ring with the 2.02ct VVS2 diamond I had set. You could say she is delighted. What can I say, I have great taste.

If you go to zales or some other box store your going to get ass raped for sub quality diamonds and settings. But if you want to pay more for less go right ahead and head to a box store. Sure tiffany quality is great. But your paying way too much for just the name.

Go online and get your setting and diamond. Then bring it to a reputable dealer near you to be set. Save a bunch.

Or you can be like me and have a buddy that is a wholesale diamond buyer and get a sweet ass deal never going in a store.

As for appraisals they are nearly always at least twice what you paid. They mean nothing except for insurance purposes.

Don't be lame and let her pick it out bro. And least of all give her a check and say go pick it out. Man up, do your reasearch, and give her a great ring that you can be proud of.
Because till death (or divorce) do you part anyone that see's it will think about what a cheap fuck you are or how you did it so right.

I advise looking at it like I do. That ring is a direct reflection of you.

Funny how alot of guys wouldn't show up at a range with their rifle having anything less than the best on it. But spend less on their engagement ring than their last scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Platinum is nice, but extra cost and very soft, so it will scratch up and bend much easier than any gold will. I got my wife a White gold setting and it looks great and is much more durable, and cost a little less so you can use the extra $$ for the stone. </div></div>

Yes plantinum is softer than gold.

HOWEVER

White gold has to be replated due to the rhodium it's dipped in to become white wearing off over time.

That to me just looks like ass. I went with all platinum because of that alone.

Educating yourself goes a long way and helped me decide what I want in diamonds bought for the wife. As far as on the finger excellent cut, colorless and no imperfections to the naked eye are the baseline for me. Then whether you want to pay for better clarity and color that is not visible to the naked eye is more of a personal thing since though they make a stone worth more they don't make it look better except to a gemologist with magnification. I have used Bluenile.com several times and the GIA certification and mapping is right there to review. I have been more than happy with the stuff I have gotten from them. Far more stone for the dollar than the local jewelers in my case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The right women won't give a rat's ass if the ring is "perfect" or not........</div></div>

What he said!

I just paid my ring off friday and I decided to buy locally just so I get to pick out exactly what I wanted.I never really knew much about diamonds but when you are dropping a couple grand you diffintely want to get something that is quality so take your time and make sure they aren't trying to screw you by offering something cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The right women won't give a rat's ass if the ring is "perfect" or not........</div></div>

What he said! </div></div>

I would still shoot if I only had a rusty old pos rifle but I really enjoy shooting my GAP's a lot! YMMV. Good luck marriage is HARD. PG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The right women won't give a rat's ass if the ring is "perfect" or not........</div></div>

I would still shoot if I only had a rusty old pos rifle but I really enjoy shooting my GAP's a lot! YMMV. Good luck marriage is HARD. PG </div></div>

Well said.LOL

I disagree with the people who are saying not to buy online and go to your local jeweler. It's a well known fact that most jewelers are way more expensive than online companies - online jewelers don't have inventory or overhead expenses so everything is naturally going to be cheaper because the nature of running your business is drastically cheaper. I run my own online paper business - I don't have stores nor do I have very many employees, which allows me to offer cheaper prices.
But I digress...
I highly recommend purchasing a ring online - I had a great experience with James Allen, but I hear that Blue Nile and Gemvara are good as well. In the end, I went with James Allen mostly because they had a 2-month full policy, on the off chance that she didn't like the ring. We didn't end up needing to use it but it definitely made me feel less nervous when I was making a big purchase like that.
Anyways, good luck with the search and congrats on finding a woman!

Do not get her what she wants. Do not get that two month's salary bs. Go to you rlocal jewelry shop, and tell then you want a fake stone in the cheapest setting they have for less than $70 for the acid test. Bust that out and put it on her finger. f she goes nuts and tries to kill you, send her on her way. If she is cool wiht it, you got a real winner. Winner, well, get your ass back to the jewelry shop and buy a really nice stone under 1/2 carat. Make sure it is flawless. She will love it. Buy the matching wedding ring to go with it.
All you suckers who go out and spend thousands on 1 - 2 carat stones, wtf are you thinking? That has zip to do with love or anything remotely to a long term relationship. Al it does do is put thousands of dollars into some dumb shit that she gets to hang out in her friends and anyone else who will look faces. Screw Jarad, screw two month's salary. If she doesn;t just love the fact you are marrying her and hopefully giving her a sensible home(she has to clean the thing, so stay away from big ass houses), besides, small stones on her fingers, moderrte houses means two things:
Nicer vacations
More toys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Platinum is nice, but extra cost and very soft, so it will scratch up and bend much easier than any gold will. I got my wife a White gold setting and it looks great and is much more durable, and cost a little less so you can use the extra $$ for the stone. </div></div>

Yes plantinum is softer than gold.

HOWEVER

White gold has to be replated due to the rhodium it's dipped in to become white wearing off over time.

That to me just looks like ass. I went with all platinum because of that alone. </div></div>

thats why we did as well.

you can look online with her or go ring shopping to get an idea of what she would like. if you want to try and keep it a total suprise, ask her close friends or maybe her mother.

i went the ridiculous route and found an antique setting that she liked, and then spend 12 months looking for a correct European cut diamond to match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not get her what she wants. Do not get that two month's salary bs. Go to you rlocal jewelry shop, and tell then you want a fake stone in the cheapest setting they have for less than $70 for the acid test. Bust that out and put it on her finger. f she goes nuts and tries to kill you, send her on her way. If she is cool wiht it, you got a real winner. Winner, well, get your ass back to the jewelry shop and buy a really nice stone under 1/2 carat. Make sure it is flawless. She will love it. Buy the matching wedding ring to go with it.
All you suckers who go out and spend thousands on 1 - 2 carat stones, wtf are you thinking? That has zip to do with love or anything remotely to a long term relationship. Al it does do is put thousands of dollars into some dumb shit that she gets to hang out in her friends and anyone else who will look faces. Screw Jarad, screw two month's salary. If she doesn;t just love the fact you are marrying her and hopefully giving her a sensible home(she has to clean the thing, so stay away from big ass houses), besides, small stones on her fingers, moderrte houses means two things:
Nicer vacations
More toys </div></div>

You evidently are not married or got your woman an embarrassingly small ring. If the guy wants to drop 500 or 50000 that is his choice. And playing all the games with fake rings is pretty juvenile.

Don't confuse your own financial state with the rest of us. Some can afford to do it all, haha.

Platinum is softer than gold making it less brittle which makes it more durable. You better be good at reading certs to buy online. Old AGS or HRD certed excellent, excellent are the best. GIA use to be alot better, but EGL certs are better used for toilet paper. Only buy a round brilliant

When someone comes into my store with a diamond and ring to be set or sized, I may or may not work on it. Depends on the quality, I'm not putting my name on a piece of shit that will fall apart in a week or two. if I do decide to work on it, I hit them hard for not buying from me to begin with. When I send a ring out the door, I only expect to see it again for cleanings, which I do for free, never because it fell apart. There is so much junk out there, I call it disposable jewelry. My advice is price a plain tiffany platinum setting and spend the rest of your budget on the best round brilliant you can afford. If you haven't set a budget, you need to. PM me if you want to know what I have in stock in your price range.

First off...Congratulations to both of you.

I am going to add a different dynamic which others here may be able to confirm or deny.

When I was getting ready to propose to my wife, a good friend advised me not to do so around a holiday, birthday or anniversary. The reason being, if things fell through and we ended up not getting married, I would then be entitled to the ring. Doing so around any "special occasion" would categorize the ring as a gift and nullify my right to it.

Reactions: El Cid 92

Good thing to remember when buying a diamond....you will pay a Premium for exact Carat weight. In other words, a lot of people will ask for a 1 carat diamond. But, take a look at a .90 point stone, at just under a carat, or 1.10, just over. With the three side by side, you can't tell if one is smaller or larger, especially once the stone is set. That being said, regardless of what size stone your looking for, you will save hundreds if not thousands by not buying exact weights. You can purchase a better quality stone (4 C's) at 1.20 carat weight, than a lesser quality stone at exactly a 1.00 carat in weight, for hundreds of dollars less!! And your getting a bigger and better diamond. A jeweler will fail to mention this. Hope that helps you out! Congratulations by the way!

I discovered the easiest way to do it is to marry a gal that owns/operates her own jewelry store. Tell her to get whatever she wants. Worked for me quite well!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not get her what she wants. Do not get that two month's salary bs. Go to you rlocal jewelry shop, and tell then you want a fake stone in the cheapest setting they have for less than $70 for the acid test. Bust that out and put it on her finger. f she goes nuts and tries to kill you, send her on her way. If she is cool wiht it, you got a real winner. Winner, well, get your ass back to the jewelry shop and buy a really nice stone under 1/2 carat. Make sure it is flawless. She will love it. Buy the matching wedding ring to go with it.
Nicer vacations
More toys </div></div>

You evidently are not married or got your woman an embarrassingly small ring. If the guy wants to drop 500 or 50000 that is his choice. And playing all the games with fake rings is pretty juvenile.

Don't confuse your own financial state with the rest of us. Some can afford to do it all, haha. </div></div>

You obviously have not read enough threads in this site to make such an invalid, and unsound supposition. In addition, your amount of wealth doesn't mean jack or shit to guys like me because we have more important things to think about, such as the future existance and well being of our families. A decent life now means that assets can be allowed to grow exponentially for the future when we both decide to stop working(I begin again around Spring of 2014 after I graduate and certify) and do what we like.

Panty 6 has a PERFECT, not a single flaw, perfection, 1/4c diamond wedding set in white gold. These were her choices, and she has been most proud of them for the last 25 years. I offered her a very large diamond in a very ostentatious setting and she said, "Why would I like that??? I don't want anything like your or my mom would wear. I would rather have a smaller stone that is as perfect as any stone can be." She has also foregone a large house,"I do not want to have to clean a huge house with more rooms than we need, besides, if we want nicer vacations and you want toys, a nice cozy house is fine for us"

You all keep your womens who have to have the biggest and brightest, and most obscenely ostentatios stuff because in teh end, that crap will either force you to keep making huge amounts of money to pay for her things, or you will begin to wonder what you saw in the bauble grubbing wench to begin with...besides, and woman who likes a 357 magnum, over another 'stupid ring' is and will always be great in my book.

ps she just said,"Fuck you and your money. You ain't got shit compared to the farmers I deal with everyday, and the fact you so ostentatiosiously bring it up means you probabl;y have about as much class as you do money"

HAHAHAHAHHA You were just PWND! by Panty 6
BWAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA Man, I love my little accountant

To the guys who said it is cheaper to buy online. You are just flat wrong.

I know my customers shop the web, and I make sure my prices are in line with what is online. The problem with many people is that they automatically gravitate to the lowest priced diamond on the list. For instance I just checked bluenile for a 2ct (1.95-2.05ct)G/VS2. There is a $5000 difference between the lowest price stone and the highest. There are differences in the stones besides color, cut and clarity. Any good jeweler will sit down with you and explain how diamonds are valued, you aren't going to get that from the internet. Take an hour out of your life and talk with someone who is a GIA certified diamond grader then make a decision on where to buy.

Also someone said prices are negotiable, that isn't always true. I know what diamonds are going for,I know what I need to get out of a stone and that is what I price it at. I don't mark my stuff up artificially high just to mark it down and make you feel special. Some places do, I've worked for jewelers who did this and it worked very well for them. I always felt dishonest doing it.

Also buying on line you have no one who cares to help you if you need to have the ring cleaned prongs repaired stones tightened damage from wear and tear cleaned up etc.

Some people like the cheapest of everything ( Get a Yugo, etc) however most people want things they can be proud of and pass down to their kids etc. I see some post buy a CZ or a cheap ring etc if that makes you both happy that is what you should do great for you. However the guys who buy fine jewelery from me are making themselves happy at the same time. Many of them enjoy spending the money on themselves or someone they love and more power to them for that too! To each his own.

I know the S&B scope my girl gave me made me really happy but she could have gotten a Kmart Blue Light special or a Counter Sniper right? PG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The right women won't give a rat's ass if the ring is "perfect" or not........</div></div>

I would still shoot if I only had a rusty old pos rifle but I really enjoy shooting my GAP's a lot! YMMV. Good luck marriage is HARD. PG </div></div>

You OBVIOUSLY missed the point, by at least a mile.

If a huge rock in a "perfect" ring is the only way you can land a "GAP" woman, then:

A.) you have problems only money can <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> resolve.

B.) she ain't the right lady.

C.) all of the above.

The right woman isn't in it for the ring...............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My advice is price a plain tiffany platinum setting and spend the rest of your budget on the best round brilliant you can afford. </div></div>

+1 on Tiffany settings. Tunanut's plan is what I did 16yrs ago and no problems with a loose diamond yet. Tiffany setting for rings and earrings are sort of the AIAWs of the jewelry world. People trust $20,000++ diamonds in those things. If you ever buy diamond earrings you'll want the Tiffany setting/backing too...those suckers lock in and they aren't falling out.

And the blue box will win you points that don't expire...ever

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The right women won't give a rat's ass if the ring is "perfect" or not........</div></div>

I never said huge rock or perfect ring and I dont think I missed any point. I have said everyone is different guys many times like to spurge on something nice sometimes crazy nice. Sometimes for themselves sometimes for loved ones sometimes both at the same time. Again to each his own. Some people think a good woman wouldn't care if you get engaged at all and just be happy to live together. Everyone is different. I do totally think people should spend an amount that is comfortable and reasonable for them. PG

You OBVIOUSLY missed the point, by at least a mile.

If a huge rock in a "perfect" ring is the only way you can land a "GAP" woman, then:

A.) you have problems only money can <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> resolve.

B.) she ain't the right lady.

C.) all of the above.

The right woman isn't in it for the ring............... </div></div>

My wife is a Filipino. I let her pick out the ring she wanted. She ended up picking a matched set with my ring. So we both have the same thing; a nice simple two tone gold band with no stones. Our names together (half my name and half her name) are engraved on the outside and her name on the inside of mine, my name on the inside of hers. We had them made while I was in the Philippines. She knew I would have spent more on a big fancy diamond, but is proud with what she has. All in all both rings costed a fair bit less than a grand. Any woman that "needs" an expensive ring with a huge rock isn't worth a shit. That is just for bragging and showing off to her friends

I looked for months to find something that was unique. I found it at Philip Press's shop. http://www.philippress.com/ All the work is done by hand. Truly amazing. I drove to LA to talk to him in person, and look at the rings in person, but he has dealers across the U.S. What's crazy is that the ring cost less than places like Zales were asking for a basic white gold setting.