• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Engaging movers from prone

SamLS

Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Whats a good technique as far as position is concerned for engaging a moving target from the prone position. I watched a video clip on youtube but you cannot see how the butstock is held in the shoulder, nor can you see the off hand position and the shooter was flopping around a bit to track the target taking multiple shots. Is there a better technique from prone to extend your range of movement. Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1bc5l1gqA

Re: Engaging movers from prone

do a frisbee on concrete....and a scope cover under the bi-pod on other surfaces.......

Frisbees... please that is so 5th grade, you don't need a frisbee and you don't need to do anything differently then you normally do. you shoot it more or less the same.

You set up your NPA in the middle, the adjustment left and right is very small, although to clarify, the closer you get the harder it is to track the target. But beyond 300 yards, it's not that hard and actually gets easier.

It's pretty simple if you have to move the rifle, you move your body and the rifle together, a frisbees, please, what's next a hackee sac rear bag to celebrate your hits with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's next a hackee sac rear bag to celebrate your hits with. </div></div>

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that.
smile.gif

no for real.... he really puts his bipod in an upside down frisbee and slides it back and forth like a side gunner on a B17.

Not for me. But he loves it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DemoSam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats a good technique as far as position is concerned for engaging a moving target from the prone position. I watched a video clip on youtube but you cannot see how the butstock is held in the shoulder, nor can you see the off hand position and the shooter was flopping around a bit to track the target taking multiple shots. Is there a better technique from prone to extend your range of movement. Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1bc5l1gqA
</div></div>

To answer your question I just move my rear bag along and trap the target. Others lead the target. You only need a few degrees of pan to do it.

A garbage can lid works for me. If that doesnt work I try to find an old rodeo belt buckle. Worst case I just keep rolling over so its stays in front of me.

(sarcasm aside, I just move the rear bag as well.)

About the only value I could attribute to a frisbee and bipod would be with softer ground. The frisbee resists the bipod feet digging in. Aside from that, I can't see it being as much a help as a possible hindrance.