• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Engraving depth after Cerakoting being an issue?

Sowastrong Industries

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Got a pretty stern "don't do this" warning from local agent who without being able to measure depth of engravings stated I should not fill in the serial number and such....wtf

Realize legal depth is .003 in depth..so in theory another .001 of cerakote will take it out of legal spec.

Need some thoughts fellas. Want to just say give me a break but I don't want to get the book thrown at me either

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard about gun coatings. Cerakote is one of the thinnest paint products for the industry. Think about all the guys who layer on 4 or 5 colors of Kryon with sponges and such. Obviously the serial number needs to be legible, but if an ATF agent has the time and specialty micrometers to measure number depth on a Cerakoted receiver, he should be kicked in the nuts.

If you get to the point when alphabet agencies are measuring the depth of your engraving, you already have some serious issues pending.

I'm not going to pretend to be some legal expert but if your serial numbers are easily legible, my hunch is you will NEVER have an issue.

Unfortunately what you have is an asshole problem. A hero that wants to justify his sorry ass government job. Most of the agents are cool, and know that the only reason they have a job is because gun dealer exsist. What a moron!!!

My position is, don't even get close to the line on the regs. While most ATF agensts and local LE's you might encounter are very decent, some arent. I do both engraving and Cerakote work on a fairly large scale and always engrave .010 or deeper and always keep it a bit larger than the 1/16 minimum on required information.

Better to play it safe in my opinion.

It's interesting talking with a manufacturer friend; sounds like most outfits don't want there to be any question on depth so "most" places do it well over the depth required.

Is .003" depth very visible? Seems like its equivelant to a good scratch

Help shoot holes in this thought...as long as the depth of the engraving was good to begin with the depth won't change after coating (assuming I don't dwell too long while spraying). Right?

Help shoot holes in this thought...as long as the depth of the engraving was good to begin with the depth won't change after coating (assuming I don't dwell too long while spraying). Right?

Sounds reasonable. As long as your not dumping it on there what ever you are adding to the bottom of the engraving is added to the top of the engraving.

My position is, don't even get close to the line on the regs. While most ATF agensts and local LE's you might encounter are very decent, some arent. I do both engraving and Cerakote work on a fairly large scale and always engrave .010 or deeper and always keep it a bit larger than the 1/16 minimum on required information.

Better to play it safe in my opinion.

what he said....

It's interesting talking with a manufacturer friend; sounds like most outfits don't want there to be any question on depth so "most" places do it well over the depth required.

Is .003" depth very visible? Seems like its equivelant to a good scratch

.003" is the the thickness of a typical sheet of 20# copy paper. I've seen pin engraved mil-surp rifles where the importer info was barely readable, many of the YAG laser engraved firearms are engraved to depth but the kerf is so narrow that once they are blasted and the spatter is removed, it's damn difficult to read. I don't think a little paint in the engraving is going to make any difference. You're not 'de-facing' or 'obliterating' the s/n. As long as it can be read, you're good.

Find an aluminum framed Taurus pistol and show him how deep the serial numbers are on that. You can't hardly prep a Taurus aluminum framed pistol without loosing the serial number. Then he can go save the world by taking on Taurus. On most other guns you might remind him that the Cerakote builds up the area around the engravings by the same amount it fills them in so the relief is exactly as it was before you started.