• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enlarged primer pocket

bama110

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
Calera, Alabama
I was reloaded the first batch of my once fired 243 brass and discoverd about 25% if the brass has. Enlarged primer pockets and will not hold primers. The rounds were fired in my 243 and showed no real signs of pressure. I would get a ocational raised primer but it was not consistant. My load is 43 gr h 4350 with 115 coated dtac. I am using Winchester brass and primer. So my question is load or cheap brass.

Re: Enlarged primer pocket

Excessive pressure is the only reason I can think of that will cause enlarged primer pockets. How did you determine the load, what sort of work up? Is your load from the Hornady website, I won't bother to look but just by instinct, it seems like a hot load, to me? BB

It only takes a very small amount of charge increase to go from being kosher to ruining your brass. Next time start back about 10% less powder and work your way up slowly checking for your safe max load- brass is too expensive to use just once.
You can even use one or 2 pieces of brass to experiment with so as not to wreck a whole batch at once.
I did it once and shot 50 rounds without pressure signs only to go try to seat new primers and got that sinking feeling when they went in easier than a cheap hoe and wasted 50 bucks on otherwise perfectly nice Lapua brass.

All that said above, also know not all primers are the same size. Win. generally run small, CCI and others larger. But - work on your load first.

While there may be some truth in the above post, in the real world, primers are made to fit primer pockets. Period. All primers fit all primer pockets, there's hardly a cunt hair difference, and finding one that fits tighter is, (for the most part), wishful thinking.

That is; <span style="text-decoration: underline">In the context of, a solution to enlarged primer pockets caused by excessive pressures.</span>

So, until proven wrong, a discussion about the sizes of primers is pretty much a waste of time.

Now, since nobody bothered to look it up, I will see what I can find about that powder and that bullet. BB

edit: checked 6mm.com and the closest I found was this:
H4350 37.4 CCI BR2 107 SMK

I searched on this site to come up with the 43 gr. I ran test from 41.5 to 43 when I was doing load development. None showed excess pressure. I reached just 3029 fps with 43 grains so I stoped and start production. That is where am now. I guess I will move back .5 grains and test a couple of pieces multiple times. This just took me by surprise I have loaded for many years, developed wildcat cartiges and this has never happened without some other sign of pressure.

By any chance does your primer pocket uniformer have a build up of brass on the outside diameter, my original RCBS did and I when I replaced it I noticed primer pockets were lasting longer, I measured it and found it was .0015 bigger in a couple of places because of build up.

That's an interesting comment. I suppose galling can occur, and theoretically you would be reaming out the pocket, unintentionally. My LR tool is solid carbide, I have never lubricated it, in application.

In the above provided information, which might have been nice to have, earlier, I would say that this guy should back off, not a half grain but <span style="font-weight: bold"> one and a half grains</span>. That is normally what I do in 243 and has always been safe, even in hot weather. Here is where some people disagree, but I look for flattened primers and back off 1.5 grains, exclusive of ladder tests; it's just to find a safe operating zone. I hate hot loads. BB

Update I measured the primer pocket on a piece of new brass .207
Fired decamped brass was .207? Also the case headed measure the same in fired and new brass. I will back off but it looks like I may also have brass on the high side if tolerance.

+1 for Kolkio...had the same problem, switch to cci and problem solved.
smile.gif

Are you loading into the lands? That can sometimes take a moderate load to high pressure levels and expand primer pockets.

If the brass will still fit into a shell holder and there's no issue of case head separation (sacrifice a case or two to check wall thickness near the base) then you can recover them with the RCBS primer pocket swaging tool, works well but can leave an indentation in the bottom of the case.