• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Enlarging Win M70 Mag box?

elmerdeer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Canada, quebec
Hi guys I have a semi custom win model 70 in 280 converted to a 280AI, and I would like to be able to seat my Berger 168 vld's to touch the lands. My mag box has a rear false wall that limits me to a COL of 3.380" and and if I remouve that false wal I gain an extra .200" of space. Now I know it is spot welded on there and I am sure it can be remouved but would the outcome be If i do this? Will my rounds feed properly? They do now.Will I have to do any other machining work to the the bolt stop? And would my mag follower need to be adjusted?
Thanks
Elmer

Re: Enlarging Win M70 Mag box?

This mod was done to my M70 280AI. It will be nesessary to shorten the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come back far enough. The follower should work fine.

Re: Enlarging Win M70 Mag box?

I had similar problem with m70 in 264. I also inlet 1 piece bottom metal. This deletes the midlle trigger guard screw. I have a m70 in 300 weatherby so I took the magazine box spring and follower out of it to try to gain COL. Everything fit and worked well but I have to shorten my bolt stop. I then ordered the parts to replace in other said rifle