• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Enough Magnification

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
Do you guys consider 16x magnification good enough for shooting at 1500 yards? I always go big magnification, even for shorter ranges, but I was looking at the Super Sniper 16x and was wondering if any of you have used 16x magnification that far out and if you thought it was enough. I shoot steel 12-15" gongs.

Re: Enough Magnification

aim small miss small, I use an Aimpoint at 1,500 yards. Seriously though I personally believe it's a personal preference type thing, some guys go massive and some keep it as low as possible with still being able to see the target. I think 16X is probably right on the mark in my opinion for 1,500 yarders

Try it out. Sorry this isn't an answer you probably want to hear, but its personal preference. If you like the higher powers then no it won't be enough. If you tend to like powers on the lighter side then yes, this will work great. I know a few guys who will not use a power past 10 just because they don't want to.

That's not bad, the posts look like they are a decent distance back from the target. I just found out from that link that the SS used to be made by Tasco lol. I'm surprised that they are as good as everybody is saying they are.

If you knew what goes into a mile shot other than what's posted in internet forums you'd have your own answer (as tacshooter223 pointed out). Some things just aren't cut and dried until you're there doing it, and ELR is one of them.

That said, the SWFA SS16X is a solid, reliable repeatable scope, and repeatability and reliability of tracking are one of the primary considerations of any scope. The large amount of travel available and the reliability make these scopes great in many roles.
The SS16X is not my primary choice, but a perfect choice for folks looking for an affordable scope that works where it needs to, and it is my choice for an afordable backup scope I know I can rely on for any application from smallbore to long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you knew what goes into a mile shot other than what's posted in internet forums you'd have your own answer (as tacshooter223 pointed out). Some things just aren't cut and dried until you're there doing it, and ELR is one of them.

</div></div>

Well I know what goes into a 1000 yard shot so it's just going to take a little time to extend it out. The sarcasm cheap shot would work if I claimed to know everything about a mile long shot, but I never stated anything like that. I need a scope for a rifle that I can shoot now at pretty decently long ranges, but will be shooting even further in the future. So instead of buying 2 scopes, I'm trying to buy one. I was wanting to see what other shooters liked as far as magnification at that distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That said, the SWFA SS16X is a solid, reliable repeatable scope, and repeatability and reliability of tracking are one of the primary considerations of any scope. The large amount of travel available and the reliability make these scopes great in many roles.
The SS16X is not my primary choice, but a perfect choice for folks looking for an affordable scope that works where it needs to, and it is my choice for an afordable backup scope I know I can rely on for any application from smallbore to long range.

</div></div>

Seems to be well liked on this forum, even if it is just for a back up for some. It is considered a "step down" from what I'm using now because of the price, but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

The SS16X has enough magnification and erector travel to get you there.

Depending on load and conditions you may need a 40-45 moa base, but the scope should still be able to zero at 100 yards.

I have mine zero'd at 100 yards on a 20 moa base. I have 65 moa up, and 52 moa down. 117 moa total el travel.

IMO, 1x per 100m should be on the bottom end, and for most practical applications, 1.5x per 100m would be the top end.

In other words, for 1000m I personally want at least 10x, don't feel a need for more than 15x. For 1500m, I'd want at least 15x, wouldn't see a need for greater than 23x.

That being said, I have shot a bit beyond 1 mile with 14x on the M107- but we're also talking vehicle size targets.

Take target size into consideration, and in the long run, get what YOU feel comfortable with.

I think a 5-25x scope is perfect for a tactical comp scope. You have the power if you want it and its nice to have if you need to range a target.

Shooting at 1200 yd steel i have no problems making hits with 14x and can clearly see my dot i want to hit. Even on 10x i wouldn't want me shooting at me
smile.gif

I see this question in here all the time.
How much magnification will I need?

For me the shooters age and geographic location have a lot to due with choice of scope power.
The older I get the more magnification I want,need.
In the wild,wild "Desert South West" a shooter can use all the power he can get mounted on the rifle.
That said I run a 6-24,6.5-20 ad a 8.5-25

54 power mildot ffp bsa on a 48moa base sittin on me custom sks sniper rifle with choate tupperware painted a stellar cornpoop dependsflage pattern. use that spike bayonet for a splendidly stable monopod.

A scope that is adjustable to over 20X (25 would be better) would be good, however if you can only afford the fixed 16X then go for it.