• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Enter the "Barrel Matrix"....

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Setting up a Remington 700, long action... Time to order a barrel

The matrix:

I am an old guy
I won't be competing
I'm on a fixed income. This is a "One Piece At A Time" project.
Optics will be comparable to the build ($, quality, used)
Chassis will be used, standard quality.
Weight - 16 lbs max weight with day optical sight, sling swivels, carrying strap, fully loaded magazine. Not climbing mountains with it.
Ammo = .300 Win Mag
Time table - Prefer an "off the shelf" unit. Gunsmith wait is a concern. Prefer to not die of old age while waiting on a Smith.
Accuracy - 12" circle at 1,000 yards
Recoil - My 300 Win Mag hunting rifles deliver more recoil than I care to deal with. Not wanting a brake.
Life of barrel - I'll never wear one out

Price wise I want to be midway between the cheapest barrel and the most expensive barrel... Average everything, if there is such a thing.

Suggestions ?

Hobo

Reactions: The D
If you’re comfortable with working on your own stuff you could remage it with a criterion barrel & nut from NSS. You would still need the barrel & action tools but if you’re piecing it together that shouldn’t be an issue. You said the 300wm has more recoil than you care to deal with so this makes it easy to switch chamberings to something that won’t dislocate your shoulder. You get the flexibility of choosing something that has decent factory ammo, choosing a reloading project, or both

Last edited:
It's too bad you waited until after July 4th as a lot of barrels were on sale. But you can get Remage systems from X-Caliber, McGowen, Criterion. All will meet your accuracy needs. And whatever you do get it threaded. You might change your mind on that brake...

Remage is easy button if you dont want that i think there are a number of smiths that could clear a barrel job pretty quick. LRI for example.

Do you have a suppressor yet?

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Is this for hunting?
Do you need the power of the 300mag?
You dont want to deal with the recoil of your hunting 300 win mag rifles and you dont want a brake on this rifle
that will be a 300 win mag that you are willing to deal with the recoil.

Is this for hunting?
Do you need the power of the 300mag?
You dont want to deal with the recoil of your hunting 300 win mag rifles and you dont want a brake on this rifle
that will be a 300 win mag that you are willing to deal with the recoil.
It will probably be set on a tripod (or similar) on my porch.... sort of an unknown now. When hunting I'll haul it on a 4 wheeler to my blind / stand.

If you’re comfortable with working on your own stuff you could remage it with a criterion barrel & nut from NSS. You would still need the barrel & action tools but if you’re piecing it together that shouldn’t be an issue. You said the 300wm has more recoil than you care to deal with so this makes it easy to switch chamberings to something that won’t dislocate your shoulder. You get the flexibility of choosing something that has decent factory ammo, choosing a reloading project, or both
Northland Shooters Supply is currently closed until Friday, July 30. We will not be accepting new orders during this time.

Any customer order that was placed before July 16 and the items received at Northland during this time, will still be shipped.

We will get back to you as soon as we can.

Thanks,

James Kessler
763-682-4296
www.northlandshooterssupply.com

Agreed that a Remage barrel nut setup is what you want, and you don't need a barrel vise as long as you can get the old barrel off. I used a pipe wrench on one I knew was getting tossed, or you can pay a smith a very reasonable fee and have him yank it off same day probably if you call ahead. You just need an action wrench and an adjustable crescent wrench if you get a barrel nut with flats instead of the Savage pattern, plus a Go gauge (you can skip the No-Go to save a bit of cash if you have scotch tape and a pair of calipers).

I see you're in the PNW, where more specifically? I have the setup to get your old barrel off if you happen to be in my neck of the woods. ETA: It’s a barrel vise and action wrench, I’ve moved past pipe wrenches haha

Last edited:
+1 on a Criterion from NSS or one of the other Remage options. My 6.5 with a 26" MTU taper riding in a KRG Bravo and an Athlon Ares comes in just over 14#'s so that kind of setup in a LA with a Medium or heavy Palma should land close to the 16# mark I should think. I also did the same one piece at a time and wound up with a great shooter I am proud to own. If you need help with the tools I have an action wrench and Barrel vise I might be willing to loan out if it helps.

Agreed that a Remage barrel nut setup is what you want, and you don't need a barrel vise as long as you can get the old barrel off. I used a pipe wrench on one I knew was getting tossed, or you can pay a smith a very reasonable fee and have him yank it off same day probably if you call ahead. You just need an action wrench and an adjustable crescent wrench if you get a barrel nut with flats instead of the Savage pattern, plus a Go gauge (you can skip the No-Go to save a bit of cash if you have scotch tape and a pair of calipers).

I see you're in the PNW, where more specifically? I have the setup to get your old barrel off if you happen to be in my neck of the woods. ETA: It’s a barrel vise and action wrench, I’ve moved past pipe wrenches haha
Thank you... Let me see how a few of the details go. I'm in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana... A bit smokey at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_4737.JPG
    IMG_4737.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 48
Northland Shooters Supply is currently closed until Friday, July 30. We will not be accepting new orders during this time.

Any customer order that was placed before July 16 and the items received at Northland during this time, will still be shipped.

Thanks,

James Kessler
763-682-4296
Is the barrel the last thing you’re waiting on? This is only a one week delay so you could just order some other parts before the barrel. Or order as soon as you can after the 30th

You need to budget for a suppressor. Some recoil mitigation, no concussive blast, and way less sound. You owe it to yourself.
I actually thought about suggesting the same, but didn't because of the budget stuff. OP, I agree that this will mitigate recoil somewhat without the blast of a brake. Not as effective on paper at recoil mitigation, but it tends to stretch out the recoil impulse, more of a "push" than a "thump," as they say.

I’m not sure recoil will be near the problem it was in that hunting rifle. The extra weight will mitigate some of the recoil. Get the barrel threaded so you can add a suppressor or whatever down the road if you want.
I’d hold off until the 30th and order a nss remage. There’s nothing wrong with any of the other barrels, just a personal preference.

This should help answer some of the questions. Photos taken today. Less than 300 yards from my back porch on my property. I have photos of some healthy coyotes on my trail camera. The damage is getting closer to my other animals. I like my deer.

Attachments

• IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4773.JPG
    IMG_4773.JPG
    605.4 KB · Views: 111
Well you certainly don’t need a 300WM for coyotes, my friend.
LOL.... I have been told that.... I am not out to make a clean kill.... Removing a leg would still be fatal.... Knocking down a few limbs on it's way to the target could also be a possibility... The advantage of the Remage would be the option to change to a lighter cartridge.

LOL.... I have been told that.... I am not out to make a clean kill.... Removing a leg would still be fatal.... Knocking down a few limbs on it's way to the target could also be a possibility... The advantage of the Remage would be the option to change to a lighter cartridge.
That’s what I’m telling you, you should change to a lighter and faster cartridge. 6mm Creedmoor is available in factory ammo and will give you a much flatter trajectory with far less recoil, for significantly less cost per shot.

300WM will work, but it’s absolutely the wrong cartridge for a coyote gun.

ETA: And if you knock a leg off, you need to hoof your sorry ass out there and finish what you started. I have exactly no patience for someone who is comfortable with lethally maiming an animal.

We have coyote problems too. People who’s never lost the family pet to a pack while they’re child watched in horror might not understand your frustration. Every now and then they get the livestock. Chickens, goats, cows they kill them all. Most people don’t think about a cow costing thousands of dollars but that’s what they cost. You gotta keep them coyotes beat back. I wouldn’t recommend wondering around in the darkness looking for a wounded coyote to finish off to my worst enemy. That’d be an awful way to go, eaten by a pack of wild dogs or alligators.

If you set up with a 300WM won't you need to stay with a Magnum case head or change out the bolt to go smaller? You may already own the receiver so its moot but i think going with a Std bolt face so you could rebarrel to any of the 06 based cartridges might work in your favor. A 270 Win would be a fine long range choice in a long action. Just my $.02.

We have coyote problems too. People who’s never lost the family pet to a pack while they’re child watched in horror might not understand your frustration. Every now and then they get the livestock. Chickens, goats, cows they kill them all. Most people don’t think about a cow costing thousands of dollars but that’s what they cost. You gotta keep them coyotes beat back. I wouldn’t recommend wondering around in the darkness looking for a wounded coyote to finish off to my worst enemy. That’d be an awful way to go, eaten by a pack of wild dogs or alligators.
Well, you and I live in a different environment than many other's. Brings to mind that old saying of "Walk a mile in my shoes"...

Reactions: jcmullis2
If you set up with a 300WM won't you need to stay with a Magnum case head or change out the bolt to go smaller? You may already own the receiver so its moot but i think going with a Std bolt face so you could rebarrel to any of the 06 based cartridges might work in your favor. A 270 Win would be a fine long range choice in a long action. Just my $.02.
That 270 has harvested more big game in Montana than most realize. The 300WM will be my largest... I have the smaller calibers covered.... All the way down to my air rifle.

Removed the barrel from the action. Went down the list of "How to's"... Fairly stubborn threaded joint. Thinned down the recoil lug and got it to unscrew...

Long lead times to get a Remage setup. Almost as long as waiting for a Smith to fit a barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_4810.JPG
    IMG_4810.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4812.JPG
    IMG_4812.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4815.JPG
    IMG_4815.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 69
Nicely done. I had one hell of time a few months ago and used a little heat. I should’ve done like you and made a relief cut. Remage is the way to go. Gunsmiths hate remage barrels. They’re losing hundreds of dollars on every remage barrel sold. That’s probably why you gotta get in line and wait until he sops up that gravy barrel money. How much is he charging to install remage barrels? Let me guess $100?

Nicely done. I had one hell of time a few months ago and used a little heat. I should’ve done like you and made a relief cut. Remage is the way to go. Gunsmiths hate remage barrels. They’re losing hundreds of dollars on every remage barrel sold. That’s probably why you gotta get in line and wait until he sops up that gravy barrel money. How much is he charging to install remage barrels? Let me guess $100?
My personal experiences dealing with the "wait time" for the gunsmiths has been frustrating. More than once I call a smith about threading a barrel or a similar operation. The office girl says "He's running about 2 weeks behind". I gather up my stuff and deliver it in person. At that point I am told there will be a 6 week wait. 6 weeks go by and I call and get a gruffy guy on the phone that tells me "We will call when it is ready, don't call back"... I'm sure the majority of smiths are sliding in jobs from other's and not dealing off the top of the deck. Now, in all fairness, this is happening across the spectrum with auto repair, home improvement contractors, primers / powder, etc. Just one more step in moving America towards being a third world country. In the mean time I will purchase the tools and material and work on as much of my own stuff as possible.

Reactions: jcmullis2
You see it everywhere now. I’ve seen that a Rush job cost more and a rush rush job costs even more at one gun shop. A couple of years ago I noticed my old gunsmith seemed to be doing much better financially. Every year or so I’d have to use him and I needed a barrel job. Well, I found out where the money was coming from for his new truck, new boat, new tractor & barn. It cost me about a grand for blueprinting a action, side bolt release, and barrel job. Never again, I’ve since bought a lathe and mill to do my own work. Best money I’ve spent in a long time. I’m not suggesting that you need that stuff but it helps. I think if more people did like you it wouldn’t cost as much. Good job brother 👍

I agree with everything that is being said. I grew up poor and worked a blue collar career all my life. As a kid we had a good work shop. We 'built" what ever we wanted. boats, go carts, dune buggies, etc. Long story... My favorite song is Johnny Cash - "One piece at a time"... I have Frankentrucks, Frankenmowers, Frankinimpliments for my JD tractor... Weapons are mostly Frankenguns..... Being on a fixed income forces me to horse trade for most of my material possessions. The apple did not fall far from the tree... My son has a very nice home machine shop and is doing well on his gunsmithing... This build will be interesting.

Photo - 1967 building a Volkswagen dune buggy

Attachments

• 1970a.jpg
    1970a.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: camocorvette
For barrels, I use this guy. He is very good and fast. I get mine shouldered. I sent my action to him and now I just order what I need when I need it. Ordered 2 for our Origins on Monday, and they just arrived 20 min ago.

I have a 2 #5 contour X-caliber blank Remage barrels from them. They were fast in December when they did my 280 barrel. They usually have some stuff ready to ship too. My 21" 6 creed and a 21" 280, both are shooters. I really like the #5 contour, it is light enough to carry for hunting, it has enough meat on the end for a shoulder for a suppressor, and its heavy enough it doesn't start shooting all over the place after three rounds.

I’ll chip in a vote for @Deep South Tactical, they spooled up a couple Berage barrels for me using some Hart blanks they had in stock and their work was quick and so far top-notch quality. I’m at the last step in load development verification, but if it looks as good as I expect I’ll be putting up a thread singing their praises.

They have a Hide discount going, and last I saw barrel jobs were running about 2 weeks. Highly recommend.

A tip originally posted by Long Rilfes Inc {LRI} to slick up an action. Get a 27/64 reamer and ream the inside of the bolt body.

My long action was really bad, the reamer would not even fit though the threads for the firing pin shroud. The firing pin ramp had already been well polished by thousands of rounds of shooting, but bolt lift was still stiff. The bolt lift is now nice and smooth. Actions have varying degrees of problems with this. I ran it down a few other bolts and removed very little, but they also had fairly smooth bolt lift.

Last edited:
A tip originally posted by Long Rilfes Inc {LRI} to slick up an action. Get a 27/64 reamer and ream the inside of the bolt body.

My long action was really bad, the reamer would not even fit though the threads for the firing pin shroud. The firing pin ramp had already been well polished by thousands of rounds of shooting, but bolt lift was still stiff. The bolt loft is not nice and smooth. Actions have varying degrees of problems with this. I ran it down a few other bolts and removed vary little, but they also had fairly smooth bolt lift.
I remember that article / tip. Thanks for the reminder.

Is the barrel the last thing you’re waiting on? This is only a one week delay so you could just order some other parts before the barrel. Or order as soon as you can after the 30th
Swapped some email messages with him....

What I am experiencing, in this day and age, is waiting one day on this end results in an additional 30 day wait on the other end.. Not just firearms part but everything. Sounds like when he opens his shop there will be a big back log of orders for him to work through. A sign of the times.

Reactions: Stoweit and The D
Swapped some email messages with him....

What I am experiencing, in this day and age, is waiting one day on this end results in an additional 30 day wait on the other end.. Not just firearms part but everything. Sounds like when he opens his shop there will be a big back log of orders for him to work through. A sign of the times.
I just went on a little stroll through the interwebs and found a place that has a few 300wm and one 300prc barrel in stock.

I know absolutely nothing about this place other than I found a few barrels that they have in stock. I look for remage barrels every once in a while also and I’ve noticed that barrels in stock are pretty rare. If there are finished barrels available they’re usually only the most popular chamberings or stuff that’s been returned for whatever reason

I just went on a little stroll through the interwebs and found a place that has a few 300wm and one 300prc barrel in stock.

I know absolutely nothing about this place other than I found a few barrels that they have in stock. I look for remage barrels every once in a while also and I’ve noticed that barrels in stock are pretty rare. If there are finished barrels available they’re usually only the most popular chamberings or stuff that’s been returned for whatever reason
They had one in stock... All of their barrels are threaded.... I bought the last one with the nut and wrench. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: The D and ShaKr524
I’ll chip in a vote for @Deep South Tactical, they spooled up a couple Berage barrels for me using some Hart blanks they had in stock and their work was quick and so far top-notch quality. I’m at the last step in load development verification, but if it looks as good as I expect I’ll be putting up a thread singing their praises.

They have a Hide discount going, and last I saw barrel jobs were running about 2 weeks. Highly recommend.
Thank you sir!

Cut corners on anything but the barrel. Bugholes.com has both Brux and Barlien barrels that you want in stock and ready to go. I would think about going with a 1-9 twist if you wanting to shoot heavies over 210+grs. Since you wanting low recoil might ought to go with something heavier than a Rem Var/Sendero contour.

Cut corners on anything but the barrel. Bugholes.com has both Brux and Barlien barrels that you want in stock and ready to go. I would think about going with a 1-9 twist if you wanting to shoot heavies over 210+grs. Since you wanting low recoil might ought to go with something heavier than a Rem Var/Sendero contour.
Went to their website previously:

It appears they have no pre-fit barrels.

My #1 priority is having a weapon in my hand that will go BANG when I pull the trigger. In this day and age, that is more of a challenge than most understand. I'm not wanting to die of old age before I get a few things built.

Went to their website previously:

It appears they have no pre-fit barrels.

My #1 priority is having a weapon in my hand that will go BANG when I pull the trigger. In this day and age, that is more of a challenge than most understand. I'm not wanting to die of old age before I get a few things built.
They will cut you one though. Big holes is a great barrel distributor. They just also cut a great barrel as well. They have such a great stock on hand that the can do whatever you need and not just one off the shelf.

Pieces and parts are arriving. Looking like I can build a unit in less time than working my way up a gunsmith's waiting list. JMHO... A learning lesson in the making.

Hobo

Attachments

• IMG_4883.JPG
    IMG_4883.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 46
For those who were interested in the LRI trick mentioned above regarding the 27/64" reamer for smoothing out a factory Rem700 bolt (like me), here's the post I found discussing it:

100% disagree. Thinking you have to buy the most expensive barrel or what the internet thinks is the bestest is a waste of money for a lot of guys. If you're shooting random lots of factory ammo, learning to load, or barreling a lightweight, offhand hunting rifle, spending $350 for a bench rest quality cut rifled blank that's cut in a light hunting contour and fitted to stock R700 action in an unbedded takeoff stock is simply a waste of money.

i agree

sell off what parts you have
Sell of another rifle or 2 to increase budget

but a used custom action or rifle on a real custom action not a trued 700…that doesn’t need to be “smithed”…ever

buy a quality prefit and be shooting by next Friday.

One rifle, one scope, several barrels for short action

one rifle, one scope, several barrels for long/magnum action

I consolidated years ago when prefits became popular, now I have higher quality gear and more room

All valid points..... Considerations in my personal Matrix are age, income, location, plan for the next 5 years....
At 70 years old, I can't take several years to procure the perfect parts.
I have no ambition to shoot in competition.
My reloading equipment, supplies and experience are simply average. Doubtful I will do much of a "load development".
Factory ammo for a 300 is nearing $4 / round. On a fixed income I have to count shooting by the round.
My homestead has been a full time job... I am "circling the wagons" closer to the house.
The unknown is, what I call, "The State of the Nation"... This prompts me to move expeditiously, across the board.

Life is truly a Matrix

Reactions: brianf

Thanks,

James Kessler
763-682-4296
Typical of these times.... While James was on vacation he answered a few emails. When he got back I sent him a detailed description of what I wanted. I asked him what the lead time / wait time was on the barrel....

He never replied. Good I got what I needed badly else where before he even returned. Now on a second build he is a no show. I guess I will go elsewhere to get what I need and consider NSS a no show.

Did get a reply:

Criterion is currently running 20 week lead time.

James Kessler

763-682-4296

Last edited: