• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entering DA in JBM Ballistics

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
Anyone know how to enter just a DA into JBM? From my understanding it automatically converts your other weather data into DA, but it seems as I've just been keeping track of DA since I got a kestrel.
Thanks dudes
C

go into your iphone settings, select ballistic ae from the apps listed, select atmosphere, and change "format" to Density Altitude. Now go into the ballistic AE app, and reset the defaults for your load (make sure you save your current load if desired). You will now have the option to enter the density altitude or pull the DA from your local weather station/met tower. If you want to calculate DA yourself, grab a free DA calculator (i use autodens), and enter in all the data ive collected.

I was playing around with JBM Ballistics today and I think I might have figured out how to do this.

You have to use the "Trajectory" program to do this.

First you have to run a simulation with the conditions when you zero the rifle. In the results window it should show an elevation in MOA. Make a note of this. Then go back to the entry window and enter the Elevation number and go to the bottom and uncheck the "Elevation Correction for zero range" box.

Now, in the fields that have to do with atmospheric conditions, check the box labeled "Std. Atmosphere at Altitude" and enter the DA in the altitude box. The program looks like it uses the pressure and temperature for standard altitude, which I think is what Density Altitude is.

I haven't totally proved to myself that it's giving me the right information yet but it looks promising.

Not an answer to your question but I was given some of Hollands software for making data cards after taking his class. The software is actually quite good. If you go to hollandguns.com and then click on advanced reticle technology you can read about the software in there. What you get out is a card that looks like this:
Ult_DATA_Card_3-18.jpg

You can have it in mils or MOA and they are designed to be used around a specific target size. So say you're shooting at an 18" steel gong or a deer with an 18" chest to back measurement.

The first column is used for ranging. So if you were to look at this card and you measured the target as 3 mil in your scope then you know that your target is about 575 yards out. Then based on this gun you would dial in a 10.3 mil correction. Not sure why this card was generated to allow a value other than rounded to the nearest tenth. I always configure it that way when I generate my cards. You can have it round to the nearest quarter if you're a MOA guy too.

Then as you would be used to the drift is for a 10mph wind.

Then the last 4 columns are for if you're shooting up or down hill at one of the prescribed angles. You get to define the angles that get printed onto the card.

Finally you're supposed to fold the card in half and laminate it. Then you just flip it end over to get to the longer or shorter range targets.

~Brett

I was playing around with JBM Ballistics today and I think I might have figured out how to do this.

You have to use the "Trajectory" program to do this.

First you have to run a simulation with the conditions when you zero the rifle. In the results window it should show an elevation in MOA. Make a note of this. Then go back to the entry window and enter the Elevation number and go to the bottom and uncheck the "Elevation Correction for zero range" box.

Now, in the fields that have to do with atmospheric conditions, check the box labeled "Std. Atmosphere at Altitude" and enter the DA in the altitude box. The program looks like it uses the pressure and temperature for standard altitude, which I think is what Density Altitude is.

I haven't totally proved to myself that it's giving me the right information yet but it looks promising.

That's correct if you want to use the trajectory program. If you want to create a trajectory card, just enter the altitudes at the bottom of the form -- they are density altitudes.