• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry Level AR

Vicdiesel

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2014
South Texas
Trying to help a friend get his first AR. He is trying to keep rifle cost under $1000 and would like to have the option of putting a scope on it. He had to do some serious convincing to get his wife to give in so, he doesn't have much wiggle room on budget.
I'm looking at the Springfield Saint, Sig Tread, and S&W M&P. I'd like some feedback on real world experienced please or suggestions that I may have forgotten. As expected, biggest concern will be reliability. Will probably spend most it's life in a gun case in the closet.

Thanks,
Victor

Of the three you named, for reliability I'd go Sig Tread or M&P.

Last edited:
Reactions: longshot2000
Of the three you named, for reliability I'd go Sig Tread or M&P.

I would narrow it down to the Tread.

But, Bushmaster is making some good ARs, and we just got in some Frankln Armory ARs for under $900, and include a $300 binary trigger. I would also give Stag a shout. We have had great luck with them. Pretty solid rifles, just not a fan of their BCGs, but that is an easy upgrade. For a little bit more you can also get a Colt, but we have gone past the $1k mark.

Reactions: silentheart
I’ve run several MP15’s with great success. My Springfield saint is a nice weapon as well but not many rounds through it

Don’t rule out Palmetto State Armory with a CHF mid length

Trying to help a friend get his first AR. He is trying to keep rifle cost under $1000 and would like to have the option of putting a scope on it. He had to do some serious convincing to get his wife to give in so, he doesn't have much wiggle room on budget.
I'm looking at the Springfield Saint, Sig Tread, and S&W M&P. I'd like some feedback on real world experienced please or suggestions that I may have forgotten. As expected, biggest concern will be reliability. Will probably spend most it's life in a gun case in the closet.

Thanks,
Victor
of the three, M&P hands down

Reactions: Jsp556

$749👆🏻

Find a $30 set of colt or Magpul handguards, stock of choosing and a trigger guard. Get at least 20 mags. Buy a carry handle or a good rear sight. Enjoy

But he’ll probably end up with something less for the same money.

Last edited:
My first 2 ARs were M&P...they ate anything I threw in them without issue.

Ok fellas, the Saint seems to be out of the running given not much feedback. The M&P seems to be heavily favored but I can’t ignore longshot’s advice especially given his profession!

I have considered selling him my slightly used (maybe 500 rounds) bcm mod 0 rifle for $1,000. However, I threw that option out the window when he mentioned wanting a scope due to his eyesight.

Is a scope feasible with an A2 front sight post?

It currently has an Aimpoint Pro but I’m not looking to sell it, at least not for the above mentioned price…

Truly appreciate all that have chimed in!

Victor

$749👆🏻

Find a $30 set of colt or Magpul handguards, stock of choosing and a trigger guard. Get at least 20 mags. Buy a carry handle or a good rear sight. Enjoy

best option hands down

My suggestion would be to get a new wife. Jk I was going to make a suggestion, but to the two fellas that posted the Colt. I would 100 percent go with that. I dislike Colt to an extreme extent because they stopped public sales for awhile, but that's a smokin deal on a great rifle.

Reactions: silentheart
My local store is selling an FN for $850 so there are deals out there on reasonably good guns. I don't think I'd be very interested in putting a scope on a $1,000 AR, but a red dot would be great. Depends on what he wants to do with it, I just don't bother with scopes that will fit inside of that budget. He could grab a Sig or Holosun red dot inside that price, or a Vortex, or stretch it and get an Aimpoint PRO. Red dots with FSB's are no problem with taller mounts.

$749👆🏻

Well, damn... I was going to post a link to a complete 6920 for $999, but this is better by far.

Does the $1000 budget include the cost of the scope?

EDIT:
Here is one with a LPGB for a few bucks more:

Reactions: Jsp556
Best low budget option in my opinion is the Zion 15 or its pistol version. The only "downside" is the barrel is nitride which isn't really a downside in my opinion.

Just fyi some reports on that colt above state is a CR not LE prefix

Reactions: Naaman
The m&p's are hard to beat for the price on a factory gun.
SA also makes a nice AR.. but I've run cheap PSA ar's and currently have their 14.7" CHF upper, also been problem free.

My first was a Rock River Arms...no regrets. But I can tell you, a friend at work bought a S&W. We've been to range a few times now and every time his carbine fails. Fails to eject, fails to feed, fails to reset the trigger. It's painful to watch him struggle. I've put together many ARs since purchasing my first RRA and I've never experienced the trouble he's had. Maybe it will eventually "shoot-in" but it's rough now.

I’m a fan of Andro Corp if your looking for budget. AO precision BCG, I think their receivers are AO as well, BA barrels. I have a couple that are shooters. I only have about 500 rounds through each, but no issues yet. Very responsive to inquiries and great customer service from what I’ve read (haven’t had to use it myself)

Best low budget option in my opinion is the Zion 15 or its pistol version. The only "downside" is the barrel is nitride which isn't really a downside in my opinion.

Nice to see one in stock somewhere.

My first was a Rock River Arms...no regrets. But I can tell you, a friend at work bought a S&W. We've been to range a few times now and every time his carbine fails. Fails to eject, fails to feed, fails to reset the trigger. It's painful to watch him struggle. I've put together many ARs since purchasing my first RRA and I've never experienced the trouble he's had. Maybe it will eventually "shoot-in" but it's rough now.

A lot of people seem to be happy with their M&P's, but I've had a similar experience with an M&P 10 that your friend had. I think S&W is hit or miss in the quality dept. So buyer beware and look the M&P over before buying. Don't order one online. Even though large frame AR's are different animals than AR15's, In my case, I had to open the gas port the next drill size up to get it to reliably feed 7.62 nato, and that was after installing an adjustable gas block. I had the selector switch fall apart on me at the range. The buffer tube/buttstock was pointing in 1:00-7:00 position from the factory, but S&W was thoughtful enough to not stake the castle nut. I wasn't too impressed with the rattling handguard and buttstock either, but those were being replaced anyway. I've since corrected all those issues and installed a Paul Tubb flatwire spring and a geissele trigger, now it runs like it should. I would only recommend M&P's to people who want something to mod up and tinker with.

If his budget is tightly locked in, then I suggest getting a PSA. It is foolish to spend the whole budget on the rifle and then have nothing left for the cost of mags,, sling, scope, light, etc. And ammo as well.

The PSA route would leave enough money to add a Primary Arms scope and still stay under $1K.

To save money have him buy the complete upper and complete lower separately, as it saves the 11% tax the Feds charge the manufacturer on a complete gun. To save even more have him buy one of their kits and a stripped lower then help him put it together.

Both currently with free shipping
$479.99

$59.99

So $540 for the rifle complete with buis.

Then add 1-6 scope
$289.99

Mount
$59.99

And he is into his setup for $890

Source a sling and some mags and he will be right at $1K

Last edited:
Ok fellas, the Saint seems to be out of the running given not much feedback. The M&P seems to be heavily favored but I can’t ignore longshot’s advice especially given his profession!

I have considered selling him my slightly used (maybe 500 rounds) bcm mod 0 rifle for $1,000. However, I threw that option out the window when he mentioned wanting a scope due to his eyesight.

Is a scope feasible with an A2 front sight post?

It currently has an Aimpoint Pro but I’m not looking to sell it, at least not for the above mentioned price…

Truly appreciate all that have chimed in!

Victor
My PSA M4 clone has a front sight. Doesn't interfere, but also means I can't run a bipod. It's more accurate than I am and has gone bang! every time I've pulled the trigger. I'm cogitating changing the barrel and handguard for something 18" ish, but haven't pulled the trigger (no pun intended) yet

So.... I'd suggest a PSA blem save the $$ for a good scope and ammo. Once he's gotten to the point where the rifle's holding him back, THEN build something nicer.

My 'something nicer' ended up being a WWSD clone. Saved a little $ by sourcing my own stuff that was on sale or closeout. Then topped it with a big ole honkin 1-8 Vortex, which sucked up all the weight savings.

M

I have a PSA kit with a S/S 223 Wylde barrel I built with an Anderson stripped lower. With a cheap 3x9 scope and PMC factory ammo, it shoots better than 1.5 MOA at 100, and 1 MOA with handloads. Haven't put a ton of rounds through it but I haven't had any issues after about 300. Tota cost was under $500 for the gun.

PSA IMHO. never had a 15 of theirs but had a 10 and a 47. minor issues that went away with some use.

I've had my SW MP15 (non sport) for 10 years now. It has been a solid gun, i honestly don't know how many rounds it has down it.
I had friends in college who wanted to shoot it so I told them bring ammo and you can shoot. It's been fed a steady diet of pure shit to varmint loads. It's now my light weight coyote blaster with a 1-8 LPVO. Not sure if it's the chrome lined or shot to shit aspect but accuracy has dropped off a little compared to when it was new.

So, my buddy decided to go with a Sig Tread.
Eurooptic is having a promotion for the rifle that includes their MSR rds for $850.

Thank you everyone for your time and suggestions!

So, my buddy decided to go with a Sig Tread.
Eurooptic is having a promotion for the rifle that includes their MSR rds for $850.

Thank you everyone for your time and suggestions!
I don't know about that rifle but some of the Sig ARs use proprietary parts. So I would suggest picking up spares of anything like that.

I think the small frame Tread is a standard mil-spec AR build. For $850 with a red dot, and a carbon handguard (very nice when it’s cold outside), that’s probably a solid deal. If he wants better in the future he can keep it as a backup or sell it for close to what he paid and grab something better. Probably not a bad move.

S&W M&P15

overgassed but generally reliable rifle
I've been shitting on S&W for awhile, and the past few months I've been watching videos of people running them extremely hard and none have failed. I'd buy a M&P15 with confidence at this point.